• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

Haunted Lighthouses are a great topic (and a big favorite of mine!), and they are especially intriguing here in New England. I actually offer Haunted Lighthouse excursions. I was also on the History Channel talking about Haunted Lighthouses, for a show called psychic history filmed two years ago. I could go on for hours about them. Here's one of the stories that I tell on my tours...

I find it interesting that there are many ghost stories around the country that often include a "Lady In.." Well, this story is about the Lady In White at the Isles of Shoals Lighthouse in New Hampshire. I've seen probably most often black, the lady in blue, and other tales of a lady in white. I think that gives the ghost or lost soul in the story a different kind of appeal. It instantly romanticizes the woman and makes her tale more intriguing. And it holds true - the tales told of the Lady In White of the Isles of Shoals are romantic and of course are intriguing.

She is also known as the Captain's Lady and the Watcher of the Isles of Shoals. She has been sighted on White Island (where the lighthouse stands) and also on Smuttynose Island. A lot has been written about her over the years. Of course there are many tales of pirates out on these 9 islands, so named for a shoal or school of fish (fishing was very abundant in the area). If you can just imagine Pirates out amongst the Isles waiting for some unwary ship. Now, some people tell the tale that she was a companion of the infamous pirate Blackbeard, or a companion to one of those who sailed with him. Whomever she is said to accompany she was left behind on the Isles. It is said she was told to guard a great treasure buried somewhere out amongst the rocks. She was told to watch over the treasure even if it "was until doomsday" awaiting her lover's return. As the story goes he sailed off looking for another adventure. In his travels he encountered a warship and refused to surrender, so he blew up his own ship's magazine with all hands on board. *Which does relate to the story of Edward Teach (Blackbeard). So, she was left to be the lady in waiting on the Island. She is often described as a woman in a long white gown, wearing a long sea coat, who stands on an outcropping of rock staring out to sea. Many people have claimed that they have heard her say "He Will Return."

There have been numerous sightings of her out on the Isles throughout the years. In fact in 1978 a young Coast Guardsmen was out on White Island securing the boats and the dock and claims to have seen the Lady. If you remember how quickly the storm blew in and with such ferocity, If you lived in New England I'm sure that you could understand his fright in not knowing if he and the rest of the Guard would survive. He says as he turned around from the boat, standing before him was the woman in white. He told her about his fear of survival and asked about his own fate. In a reassuring way she told him that everything would be all right and for him not to worry. He returned to the shelter on the island and didn't see her again. He says he felt a sense of calm wash over him, much like the waves that glide over the rocks, and he wasn't so frightened after speaking to her. When the storm finally passed after unleashing quite a fury, he and the rest of the men on the White Island were safe and unharmed.

It sometimes makes me wonder, if on some foggy night while I am standing on the coast looking out to see the flash of White Island lighthouse, if she's out there guarding treasure and reassuring those who need it. Is she doomed to be forever lonely as she stands at her post, waiting for someone who will never return. A ghostly sad, but romantic tale, but don't all stories of romance have a shadow of sadness to stir your emotion - and don't many ghosts linger in places they hold dear?

Here is a nice shot I took of the Nubble Lighthouse (Cape Neddick) in York that was mentioned in this thread.

Posted Image
Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#32 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Roxie,

I think your post is fascinating...and I love the accompanying picture...Is it copyrighted, or is it okay if I snag it?

Do you have a website we could visit?

Posted Image

Edited by Holly, 10 March 2006 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#33 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:15 PM

I have a friend in England that lived in a haunted lighthouse. I've seen pictures of it. Very busy place in some of the pictures. Matter of fact his town is very busy with spirits in the pictures I've seen.
Posted Image

#34 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

Excellent, excellent thread! Ooooooohhh, I'm going to keep an eye on this one! :hug:
Halifax harbour has three islands with lighthouses on them. They are: Georges Island (which they're opening up soon to the public!), McNab's Island (I camped here before but the lighthouse was inaccessible. The penisula was cut in half by Hurricane Juan. It's being fixed and I hopefully will visit it soon. Actual pirates we're hanged on this beach, which juts out from the island. It is officially named...er.....hmmm, is it "Major's" or "Meagher's"? I'll have to check on this.......but people refer to it as "Hangman's Beach".), and Devil's Island.
Nova Scotia is full of lighthouses. We even have a "lighthouse route" along the coast you can travel by car.
Grim Undertakings hasn't investigated any lighthouses yet (hopefully soon) but I have to agree: lighthouses are amazing and a lot are haunted. Why? Excellent reasons were given by Dodi. :Spaz: :Spaz:
I'll dig up some more info on lighthouses and post here again soon.

#35 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

Posted Image

Thanks! Yes, with my permission you can use the image. I do have a website for my photography, it's being rehashed right now. Here's another lighthouse image - this time Portland Head Lighthouse, in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. There is a ghost ship that frequents this lighthouse - here's a poem about it.

"The Dead Ship of Harpswell"

What flecks the outer gray beyond
The sundown’s golden trail?
The white flash of a sea-bird’s wing,
Or gleam of slanting sail?
Let young eyes watch from Neck and Point,
And sea-worn elders pray,—
The ghost of what was once a ship
Is sailing up the bay!

From gray sea-gof, from icy drift,
From peril and from pain,
The home-bound fisher greets thy lights,
O hundred-harbored Maine!
But many a keel shall seaward turn,
And many a sail outstand,
When, tall and white, the Dead Ship looms
Against the dusk of land.

She rounds the headland’s bristling pines.
She threads the isle-set bay;
No spur of breeze can speed her on,
Nor ebb of tide delay.
Old men still walk the Isle of Orr
Who tell her date and name,
Old shipwrights sit in Freeport yards
Who hewed her oaken frame.

What weary doom of baffled quest,
Thou sad sea-ghost, is thine?
What makes thee in the haunts of home
A wonder and a sign?

No foot is on thy silent deck,
Upon thy helm no hand;
No ripple hath the soundless wind
That smites thee from the land!

For never comes the ship to port
Howe’er the breeze may be;
Just when she nears the waiting shore
She drifts again to sea.
No tack of sail, nor turn of helm,
Nor sheer of veering side;
Stern-fore she drives to sea and night
Against the wind and tide.

In vain o’er Harpswell Neck the star
Of evening guides her in;
In vain for her the lamps are lit
Within they tower, Seguin!
In vain the harbor-boat shall hail,
In vain the pilot call;
No hand shall reef her spectral sail,
Or let her anchor fall.

Shake, brown old wives, with dreary joy,
Your gray-head hints of ill;
And, over sick-beds whispering low,
Your prophecies fulfil.
Some home amid yon birchen trees
Shall drape its door with woe;
And slowly where the Dead Ship sails,
The burial boat shall row!

From Wolf Neck and from Flying Point,
From island and from main,
From sheltered cove and tided creek,
Shall glide the funeral train.
The dead-boat with the bearers four,
The mourners at her stern,—
And one shall go the silent way
Who shall no more return!

And men shall sigh, and women weep,
Whose dear ones pale and pine,
And sadly over sunset seas
Await the ghostly sign.
They know not that its sails are filled
By pity’s tender breath,
Nor see the Angel at the helm
Who steers the Ship of Death!

Edited by Roxie Z, 13 March 2006 - 12:50 PM.

Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#36 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

wow, Roxie, that is picteresque!
Posted Image

#37 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

Want to know more about Haunted Lighthouses - I'll be doing a show called Ghostly Talk on Sunday... http://www.ghostlytalk.com/

#38 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the permission, Roxie.....I'll show you what I end up doing with the picture..

The poem is so touching - Just lovely.

I'll be signed in to Ghostly Talk on Sunday to hear your interview..Sounds fascinating!

I'm glad you saw this thread...I started it quite some time ago and it often has a sweet little resurgence, which I love!

Posted Image

#39 civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:making my crafts,love anything that has to do with american history.but mostly civil war.love to read ghost books.go to civil war battlefields.those are haunted to.so i get the history with the ghosts.

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Most lighthouse that are haunted due to the loss of life in the lighthouse itself. Many times people got sick, fell from the lighthose, ( there were chores that were carried out many times a day, going up and down those stairs, repeatedly, many falls took place). Falls while painting the lighthouses were common, and deaths while construction was going on occured was quite common. Murder and insanity was common too. There is also the therory that most lighthouse keepers were so dedicated to there job and home that when they did die they came back to the place they loved and took care of, for most of them, most of their lives.

Then you also have the ship wrecks and abandonedment therory, people who just abandoned sick, or challenged, people on isolated ends of the island to fend for themselves or die. Sometimes found by the lighthouse keeper sometimes not. Thet would haunt the island or lighthouse, wondering after death not yet knowing they were dead.

There are actually alot of reasons and therories. I hope this gave you at least an idea as to maybe why this could happen. Many of the lighthouses in the US are on islands and therefore were not easy to get to and people went weeks and months without contact with the outside world. Sometimes a lighthouse keeper would die and his wife would have to take over his duties until a ship would see the distress flag and report it so someone could come and help. It wasn't a romantic life, it was alot of hard work, alot of hardship, but they believed in what they were doing, and they did it to the end.

i was wondering if there is any lighthouses left with the lens still in them?or have the gov.taken them all out?i have been to cape henry at VA beach that was interesting.haunted i dont know.
civilwarbuff over an out....
when sliding down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...an irish blessing.......may those that love us, love us, as for those that dont love us, may God turn their hearts.and if God cant turn their hearts, may God turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limp.

#40 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

To answer your question civil war buff - Many lighthouses do still have their original lenses in them. We have many new New England that still have their large Fresnel lens. Block Island Light, Rhode Island and Seguin Island in Maine. Many lighthouses were automated over the years and the lenses were never replaced. Some other lighthouses became abandoned and the lights were often stolen or vandilized. But there are still many lights out there. The twin lights at Navesink in the NJ highlands restored a rare clamshell lighthouse lens, it's about 25 feet high, and it's gorgeous!

#41 civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:making my crafts,love anything that has to do with american history.but mostly civil war.love to read ghost books.go to civil war battlefields.those are haunted to.so i get the history with the ghosts.

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

ive never been to the new england states.would love to go there in the fall.ive been to PA,MD.thats
far east as i go.been out west a few times.seeing as the east is closer to me you would think i would
have gone there.ahh! but alas i didnt.
thanks for the infor.
when sliding down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...an irish blessing.......may those that love us, love us, as for those that dont love us, may God turn their hearts.and if God cant turn their hearts, may God turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limp.

#42 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

Roxie,

I just wanted to let you know..I tried to listen to your Internet radio show yesterday, and could not get a connection! Since I'm not a member there, I thought maybe I couldn't hear the show if I wasn't, so I set up an account..and still nothing.. :Spaz:

I'm trying to recall the message I got explaining why there was no connection, but I can't think of exactly what it said.

Anyway, I hope the show was a huge success!

Posted Image

#43 Juniper

Juniper

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:i love food.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

Very good thread. Haunted lighthouses are a very cool subject indeed!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#44 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

i was wondering if there is any lighthouses left with the lens still in them?or have the gov.taken them all out?i have been to cape henry at VA beach that was interesting.haunted i dont know.
civilwarbuff over an out....

Most of the lights have been decommissioned for many years by the coast guard. Those still in use have automated sytems to power the beacons. A few have been turned over to historical societies and are being restored. A small few have even had the glass lens replaced as part of the restoration but the glasswork is quite pricey.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users