What the Heck?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:52 AM

Some people that may be a little bit new to paranormal research may have some questions about why or how something is done during an investigation. I wanted to start this thread for anyone that may have some questions about researching that they may have not been able to answer or were afraid to ask. If you have a question, we will have an answer....at least someone will.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Chimera

Chimera

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:25 PM

I am new to ghost stuff. But when I see some of the photographs posted here and the subsequent discussion on them I feel we seriously need to rethink on our learning.

My question as a newbie is - how do we go about recognising what is real paranormal in such photographs? People who posted some snaps say that they are new and are trying to learn. But I also see some other people not even looking at simple things and commenting about those snaps. Isnt it doing bad than good for the people trying to learn? What are the things we may need to know in this situation?

Did I ask this in the right forum? Is this what you meant when you started this thread?

Thanks in advance.

#3 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:10 PM

Right on the money Chimera! This is the kind of thing I was getting at with this thread.

Photography is a very difficult one to explain and it is also something that you have to kind of find your own niche. It is very hard to look at a photographed image and say with certainty that what you are looking at is paranormal. There is too much to consider, i.e. feelings, evp, seeing with your own eyes, etc. If you were to capture and evp when you caught an orb on film, that helps to back up that it is a paranormal orb. Heck it's no guarantee but it helps. Everyone has their own things that go into their evaluation of a paranormal pic. Here are some of mine and I sure know not everyone agrees with me but they are more than welcome to post their opinions too.

I never use a digital camera for paranormal photography since they have problems that cause false positives.

I never shoot pics into reflective surfaces.

I always try and watch my surroundings...heavy dust, dripping water, etc.

Once you develop your own methods and ways to look at pics, you will get more comfortable with looking at the pics of others.

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:17 PM

All right, but why are digital cameras not reccommended? I also have a few people telling me that they have taken a few good authentic snaps using digital cameras.
Posted Image

#5 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:07 PM

I use both digital and film cameras. Film cameras usually need an outside light source (flash, sun, etc.). Digitals can require no light and with take photos in lower light conditions. I PREFER the 35 mm focus free cameras and will many time buy 1200 film for use in low light conditions. A flash isn't needed with 1200 film. In the near future the only 35mm cameras you'll find are used ones. Kodak 86ed their 35s and several other companies have followed suit. To put it in perspective, 35mm cameras will eventually go the way of 8 track players and tapes.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#6 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:56 PM

I sure hope that 35mm cameras stay around since that is the only way to collect good paranormal evidence. It gives you a "hard copy" of evidence in a negative that can be reproduced and scrutinized. Also, digitals will produce false positives since they have problems with pixels and also having the flash way to close to the lens. Film is the only way to go. I doubt they will ever disappear, too many people will be out of work.

#7 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:36 PM

The people doing investigation here did not have digital cameras and said they did not work as well as the 35mm cameras either.

Starla

#8 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

digitals have problems with pixels and the flash is too close to the lens, they will cause false positives due to this. That is why they are not allowed in our investigations. Plus, with a film camera, you get a negative that can be scrutinized and reproduced over and over. This gives you a great "hard copy" of the evidence that you collect.

#9 Chimera

Chimera

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:38 AM

a stupid question from my side. and this is off topic.

but , why may I ask, do people flock on such pictures? I mean the ones which I earlier discussed? Isn't it plain as a day light that it is obvious the shapes are mostly reflections?

#10 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

I was wondering why we need to rethink our learning? Sure there are a lot of pictures posted in a forum such as this by people that are starting out in the paranormal and they are thinking that a mundane thing like dust or something is paranormal. That is ok, with experience you can sift out the mundane and only post the unexplainable which is most likely pranormal in nature. If you look back in the pages, you will find some of my pics that are not mundane things or you can look on my website for my group by following the link in my signatre.

There are a lot of pics that are not paranormal the there are quite a few that are. Basically you have to decide when you are looking.

#11 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

digitals have problems with pixels and the flash is too close to the lens, they will cause false positives due to this. That is why they are not allowed in our investigations. Plus, with a film camera, you get a negative that can be scrutinized and reproduced over and over. This gives you a great "hard copy" of the evidence that you collect.

krc sweetie if you dont just go ahead and make that your signature your poor fingers are going to fall off :D

i just wanted to add to your bigger posting here because theres nothing like good common sense to employ when out on a ghost hunt (especially when using a camera ;) ) and i dont see how anyone would disagree with you unless its about the 35MM VS DIGI DEBATE!
no worries tho the more i use both (cuz ma in law and my dad got me my cameras woo-hoo!) the more i like using my 35mm for the stills ive got my best shots so far and posted using a 35mm w/film

any hoo heres my add ons :rolleyes:

1. NEVER smoke on a ghost hunt (i think we all know why)

2. outdoor excursions always make notes of the temp and weather conditions

3. always the best idea to investigate during non precipitation/non humid conditions (its okay to go out under cloudy skies as that helps block out the moonlight reflecting off any surfaces and giving you a false positive)

4. always get to know the area well at day and night (goes along with your watch the surroundings mention) that way you can exclude distant lights and other such peculiarities when going over the photos

5. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PERMISSION TO INVESTIGATE CERTAIN AREAS DESIGNATED AS PRIVATE PROPERTY OR NO TRESSPASSING AFTER HOURS

i also want to know why we need to rethink our learning as there is no actual expert in the field of ghost hunting to learn from
sure all of us have our experience which is a good thing because we can at least learn from one another because of that experience
but the honest truth is it doesnt matter how good it is the evidence we get
there will ALWAYS be a skeptic to point out some explanation or another to try and disprove/discredit the evidence
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#12 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:21 PM

I am new to ghost stuff. .

My question as a newbie is - how do we go about recognising what is real paranormal in such photographs?

Chimera, i am assuming you are referring to my pics in here since you have said things in my thread, my question for you is, if your new at paranormal stuff, how can you be so certain my pics arent paranormal in nature?

#13 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:01 AM

I was wondering why we need to rethink our learning? Sure there are a lot of pictures posted in a forum such as this by people that are starting out in the paranormal and they are thinking that a mundane thing like dust or something is paranormal. That is ok, with experience you can sift out the mundane and only post the unexplainable which is most likely pranormal in nature. If you look back in the pages, you will find some of my pics that are not mundane things or you can look on my website for my group by following the link in my signatre.

There are a lot of pics that are not paranormal the there are quite a few that are. Basically you have to decide when you are looking.

Maybe GV should have a area where people can post different anomilies and explain how and why they are not paranormal in nature. People could use these to compare pics before they post. Just a suggestion.

#14 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:16 AM

hiya sammy! I tend to delete the ones that somones given me good reason for, not to be paranormal..the ones in my post, most of them i think there now..i'd have to check whats up, but the ones that the link opens anyhow lol..i feel are, and i feel dont have reason to be.. NOT ALL, so dont be slamming me, but i feel most of them are, i guess people are just seeing a pic, they dont know the situation at the time it was taken or the surroundings etc...see, with my pics, i do know..so its easy for me to feel the way i do about them, but for an outsider i can understand they wont be so believing, lets face it, you dont know me from a bar of soap, i could be posting up fakes to get acknowledgment! BUT i dont, dont see any reason why that is done by ppl..anyhow..actually i do, lol...my fella says hes gunna do that one day just to razz up the believers, i told him, they will know :P...anyhow..bye for now :D ..time to pick up kidlets ;)

#15 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:27 AM

Maybe GV should have a area where people can post different anomilies and explain how and why they are not paranormal in nature. People could use these to compare pics before they post. Just a suggestion.

to be perfectly honest sammy that sounds like a fantastic idea to me. :D
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users