Ipswich Ma. Cemetery.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

I just found a beautiful old cemetery in Ipswich Ma. From what I understand after talking to a few people, it's suppose to be very haunted. However, they couldn't tell me by who, or why they haunt it so i'm going to try and look into it and with weather permitting, I want to go do some photographing there this weekend. I did go look at the place and it is a absolutly beautiful, well kept cemetry. There wasn't parking that day and you can't drive throug (no roads to do so) so I couldn't take any photo's that day. I'll let you know what I find out.
          Dodie
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:55 AM

cool Dodie. all the best and get the GOOD snaps for us!
Posted Image

#3 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:27 PM

OK, I went to the Old Buring Piont in Ipswich tonight. It is a weird place. It is beautiful, but very weird. I had a few problems with my camera, it went through 3 sets of batteries to get like 75 pictures when I usually get about 120 out of 1 set of batteries. Ok, I can deal with the camera problems, I still got a few good photos. Gratefully this cemetery is on the street ( not too busy at 11:00 in a small town) but there were the voices that I couldn't account for. I can deal with that. The physical effect I get, weak kneens, ponding heart, neausea. Ok I can deal with that. I've had it before, but never to the point that I vomited, ok, that spooked me, but could have just been a little nervous, right. BUT, Then I felt myself get pushed down, twice on my way out, fast as my feet would take me. I want to go back as soon as I find some one to go with me. Iill put one of the pics up if I can get it up.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#4 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

I forgot the pics

#5 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:03 PM

One more

#6 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:40 PM

WOW great shot Dodie

#7 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:31 PM

I ended up with some 75 shots. Not all had activity, but were great in their own right. All in all it was a good night, I found it disturbing but great, I'll post more pictures later on, maybe on spirit  photography. Maybe some on here. Some are just beautiful shots of an old cemetery. Oh well. I'll have to figure it all out later on, time to go to bed and dream about my night. Pleasant dreams all. Dodie

#8 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:11 AM

cool i can't wait

#9 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

Nice pics, Dodie.

Since you felt yourself be pushed, I wanted to suggest that you not visit there alone next time.
Will you be researching the history of the cemetery as well? And maybe some gravestone etchings during the day?
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#10 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:31 AM

I definatlly won't be going alone at night at all any more. I do want to do some research and take some pictures during the day also. This was a very upsetting night for me, I already made the decsion not to go back alone, because of the physical contact but I also want someone else to witness the stuff going on in this place. I want to see what anyone else gets out of the cemetery because everyone has differant reactions to things.  It's an awsome place and a terrifing place all at the same time. I'll be sure to keep you updated on any future trips (with anyone I can get to go with me). I believe Chuck said he'd like to go and I have a few friend that are interested, it's just getting everyone together.

#11 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:59 PM

i wouldn't go there alone either

#12 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:44 PM

Hello everyonr, just to let you know, my field trips are off for a cpouple of weeks because I've done something to my sholder and arm and am doing as little driving as possable. I'm in a sling and alot of pain and haven't even been on the computer much. As soon as I start to feel better it may give me time to look into the history of this cemetery seeing as I have to stay put for a while. Between the meds nocking me out, the pain disrupting my sleep, and my big source of getting out being that I still have to go to work, opening DSIA under the new name of Dodie's house is looking better ever day. TTYS, Dodie

#13 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

I finally went there today.. I didn't plan on going, so I didn't have my camera and I went with a friend.
What a place. There is plenty of parking on the street in front. I have always been intrigued by the steep steps that go up and up and up and then end. At the top is the new cemetery with roads, and you can access that from Town Farm Road, about 1/2 mile away off of route 1A. I got a strange feel too in the front old section and I kept thinking to myself that I was glad it was daylight. I got the creeps thinking of being in there in the dark. I don't know how to explain it, but I was getting an eerie feeling in the front old section to the right, just before you get to that first set of steps. It was way over to the right near two big old trees and around 3 small crypt type structures imbedded in the banks of the hill. This is the most intriguing cemetery I have ever seen. My friend and I might try to go again closer to dark and with a camera this time.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#14 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:00 AM

Posted Image

I recently found myself drawn once again to one of the oldest burial grounds in the United States. I love this place! Here are just a couple of pictures that I took on my last visit.

It can be found on Main St. / Route 133 in Ipswich, Massachusetts. In 1634 the burial ground was established, the same year as the town of Ipswich and is the town's oldest cemetery. Burials soon took place after the founding of the town in 1634. Two of the first to be buried were the wife and child of John Winthrop, Jr., son of the governor of Massachusetts. Since the earliest grave markers were made of wood, none remain. The black marble Safford family stone memorializes descendants of Massasoit, chief of the Wampanoag Tribe and friend of the first Plymouth settlers.

The cemetery is well worth a long visit with camera in hand. There is a large variety of 17th century stones as well as 18th century. I found a clean, fully intact large bird skull there near the entrance to the cemetery. A couple of years ago I was in there on a stormy afternoon and there were literally hundreds of crows in the trees squaking - it was a bit eerie as their shadows flew over the stones, as they flew around in groups.

Sarah & Daughter, Sarah McKean (note the baby lying down under her arm) - 1776, Old Burying Ground, Ipswich Massachusetts. She and her child died during childbirth.

Posted Image

I'd really be interested in hearing any stories that anyone has on this place.

Edited by Roxie Z, 24 May 2008 - 07:04 AM.

Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#15 ZombieSquid

ZombieSquid

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

I hate to break the news to you all, but this cemetery is NOT HAUNTED! My friend use to live directly in front of the cemetery and as kids we would venture into the "spooky" burial grounds infested with "spirits" (i am being sarcastic). I have been in the cemetery at night and have felt no presence of spirits and my friend (trying to prove how tough he was) slept by himself in the cemetery (at night) and reported no feelings of ill minded ghosts. Think about it, as a kid you go looking for supernatural things, and as a kid I did the same in this cemetery (many times) and came up empty handed. A more promising location in Ipswich might be the Witches circle in Dow Park, or the abandoned mansion directly near the circle. Again, this cemetery is not haunted (sorry)! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users