90 replies to this topic

#1 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:varied too many to list

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:38 AM

Near where I live there is an old grouping of gravestones, Family plot. All of them had the general info, name, date, etc. But one is roughly hewn and simply says "IT". A friend and I went to take photos, which one of us will post when we find out how. And also across the road is an old empty, reputedly haunted mansion. When we looked over the house photos we found one that had what seems to be a figure in an upstairs window. I guess its about time to learn to create a home page to put this stuff on.Just never needed to before.

#2 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:45 AM

hmmmm sounds interesting. Now as long as the family name isnt Adams.:) May I ask a little more about the house. Like where it is and possible name of owner.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#3 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:34 AM

That is odd...Perhaps a pet grave, but if they cared enough for a stone you'd think they'd have given it a proper name...Or maybe it was once one of set with a complete sentence?
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#4 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

The house is in Middlefield Ma. Still researching the history myself. I was thinking that maybe the stone was only initialed. It is kind of rough, like maybe no money for more than that. Let you know what I find out about this.

#5 NineBeanRows

NineBeanRows

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 04:36 PM

Does the last "initial"--"T" on the rough stone--match the last initial on others in the family plot?
Your pal, NineBeanRows

#6 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:47 PM

No, NinebeanRows, but maybe inlaw? Just strange at this point.

#7 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:31 AM

Oooh, this is starting to sound downright CREEPY! ;D A mysterious tombstone with the name IT...gosh, that just conjures up a whole SLEW of grotesque images! lol Are you SURE Stephen King's not hangin' around there by chance? ;) But yeah, love to hear more about it Lamuris when you get more info...very intrigued now, lol.

#8 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:15 PM

Some of the stones are really old, going to take some rubbings next time. I doubt that will shed light on that one stone but may lead me to more info. I'll post whatever I find shellas.

#9 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:50 PM

Yikes.

Reminds me of an asylum cemetery here in Ohio where a few gravestones are simply marked "Specimens."   :o
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#10 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:02 PM

Yikes.

Reminds me of an asylum cemetery here in Ohio where a few gravestones are simply marked "Specimens."   :o

Yikes is right!  Makes me wonder what in the world is UNDER those stones!
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#11 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:30 PM

OR WHO! must have been some horrific things happening in the asylum. Have you investigated Camille?

#12 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

Indeed, one wonders....

The cemetery belongs to the old State of Ohio Asylum for the Insane, a psychiatric hospital in Columbus.  I imagine the "specimens" are cadavers, pieces parts or whatever from medical experiments.  Who knows.  Best not to think about it.

Here are some links to webpages that feature the cemetery:
http://homepages.roo..._3/asylum_3.htm
http://www.forgotten...sylum/tico.html

And here's a link to a photo of one of the headstones:
http://homepages.roo...3/specimens.jpg

Creepy.
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#13 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:02 PM

Thanx Camille, pretty interesting stuff.

#14 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:30 PM

No problem.  Happy to share in this morbid interest.

So, anyway, might "IT" be the initials of the person buried there?  OR perhaps it was to identify an undeveloped child?  Grasping at straws here, I know, but just trying to explore some answers...

#15 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:38 PM

Cant wait to see the photo of that stone.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users