Strange grave stone

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#16 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:53 AM

That IS odd!  I'd be as determined as you to get to the bottom of it all.  This also just kicks up my resolve to explore the small family plots that lie along country roads in Southwestern Ontario ;)  The Gods know what I might discover!

As for asylums...I recall on one website for Acton OH that the asylum (now abandoned) cemetary headstones had just numbers on them.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#17 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:32 PM

As for the old hospitals and prisons a lot of the graves where given only numbers. The state usually would not go the bill for a proper headstone. A lot of them actually used a piece of stone the size of a standard brick. Also if you notice when you are in a lot of cemeteries, you will see a small stone near the foot of older graves. Some have markings and some dont. These were used to mark the plots before they were used or to mark them before a proper stone could be put up. These have now been replaced with metal markers. You will also find small stones around the cemetery that have the letters N,W,S or E on them. (north, west, south or east). These were used for the original layout (survey markers).
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#18 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:55 PM

actually where my brother is does not even allow the metal markers
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#19 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:09 PM

I have heard thatin some areas, but most of the cemeteries in my area use them as temporary markers only. They are supposed to be removed as soon as the stone is put up.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#20 rlabombard

rlabombard

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Location:x1|Southampton|USA|usa|508|87|MA,Massachusettsx1|Southampton|USA|usa|508|87|MA,Massachusettsx1|Southampton|USA|usa|508|87|MA,Mas

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:04 PM

Here is a link to the pictures we took both the haunted house and the strange grave stone."IT"    http://hometown.aol....Richspage.html
Richard LaBombard

#21 PoconoMouse

PoconoMouse

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:03 AM

Wow, this sure sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing some pictures or hearing what else you find out.

#22 PoconoMouse

PoconoMouse

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:08 AM

Ahh I should have went to page two to see the photo. Have you gone there at night yet?

#23 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:varied too many to list

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:13 PM

PoconoMouse, No but I plan to get back there some time in the next week or so after dark. Two other cemetaries to be visited as soon as can be sceduled.

#24 rlabombard

rlabombard

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Location:x1|Southampton|USA|usa|508|87|MA,Massachusettsx1|Southampton|USA|usa|508|87|MA,Massachusettsx1|Southampton|USA|usa|508|87|MA,Mas

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:09 PM

[glow=red,2,300]http://theshadowlands.net/places/massachusetts.htm[/glow]
<p>Middlefield - Mack Cemetery - Follow Skyline Trail until you reach the town offices. In back of the building is a small family plot. In the far left corner next to a large tree lays a single stone. On the stone reads "IT". There are no names, dates or other information on the stone. Across the street stands a large abandoned house, the presence of evil vibes are felt through out the entire area, as though you are being watched.
Richard LaBombard

#25 rlabombard

rlabombard

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:06 AM

Here is another shot of the grave stone
Richard LaBombard

#26 BELLA

BELLA

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:55 AM

i saw on the history channels a few years ago, that people would use a machine that some how scans what's below the earth. they would use this machine on old cemetaries when they wanted to move graves to another location. has anyone heard of those machines? it would be intereting to get ahold of one and use it on this "it" grave.

#27 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:04 PM

I've heard that people who use ferrets for hunting rabbits use a similar device, which would mean they'd probably be more accessible in the UK, but gives one a possible place to start a websearch if you're interested in buying one...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#28 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:varied too many to list

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

That sounds like something I would love to own, but I'm not certain their would be anything other than a few coffin nails left at this site. In the physical realm anyway.

#29 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:22 PM

This is just me, but the picture doesn't look to me that the word is supposed to be "it".  The spacing doesn't look right, the sizes of the letters don't match, it looks like it might be a mistake.  Well, I don't have any experience in carving headstones, so you can take this for what it's worth.  It's very curious, though.
petunia4998

#30 rlabombard

rlabombard

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

Well we finaly made it to mack cemetery at night and got some good pictures. if you look close you can see a faint orb by the IT grave stone in the right side of the photo.
Richard LaBombard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users