• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

anything on rocking empty rocking chairs? That was one we knew well in my family growingup.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#17 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

anything on rocking empty rocking chairs? That was one we knew well in my family growingup.

Hi Snoopmom...Sorry to say that there is nothing in this book regarding empty rocking chairs - just chairs in general.

Here goes...

On leaving someone's house never put the chair on which you have been sitting back against a wall, for this is not only unlucky but means that you will never visit this house again.

There is also a superstition of indeterminate origin in Ohio, America, that if three chairs are accidentally placed in a row, then a death will occur either in the house or in the family.

:blink:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#18 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

Ive also heard that a black cat crossing ones path is unlucky so I can honestly vouche for Cyns' book pointing out that its actually good luck.
Every time ive had a black cat cross my path ive had nothing but good luck! :lol:
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#19 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:20 PM

I've actually never heard that one before Ax..though i've always heard a bird in the house is a sign of a death and if a robin flies into a room through a window, death will shortly follow

How about the one were a clock which has not been working suddenly chimes, there will be a death in the family or you will have bad luck if you do not stop the clock in the room where someone dies.

Love this subject, can't wait to hear about this book Cyn :lol:

Hi Willow,

Here is what it says about clocks...

In America it is still widely believed in rural areas that person's favorite clock will stop at the time of their death. This belief has been immortalized in the song. "Grandfather's Clock"; and the explanation may be that until this century many favorite clocks were of such a tempermental nature that only their owners really knew how to operate them. If this person was confined to bed during his final illness it was highly likely that they would wind down and then stop as the man/woman expired. Americans also believe that the clocks in a house should be stopped when a person dies to indicate to Death that his job is done and he should leave and let life go on again. The clocks themselves should not be restarted until after the funeral. there is an eerie omen in Britain that a clock which suddenly strikes or chimes after not going for some time signifies a death is imminent in the household.. In the the West of England there is a superstition that if a clock strikes during the reading of the text or the last hymn a death will shortly occur in the parish. However, in Wales it is said that if a local town clock strikes while the parish church bells are ringing watch out for a fire in the vicinity! It is an ill-omen if a clock chimes during a wedding ceremony, similarly during a funeral, for another will then follow soon afterwards. If there is a sudden change in the rhythm of a clock - particularly if it goes faster - this is widely believed to be an omen of death, as is the ominous striking of thirteen..
<_<

* Why is everything an omen of death???? Why can't we ever get any good news?!!!!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#20 Stitched Cadaver

Stitched Cadaver

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:I'm an otaku and an artist first and foremost. Other than that I write and study, wether for school or personal growth. Diva's and spiritual entities are captivating to me, my interst in them sparked by a series of rather nasty dreams...

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:55 PM

Hm, that's weird. I had a baby sparrow that was learning how to fly get tangled in my hair once. I got it out and in ended up following my into the house despite th fact that I was dragging my two sadistic beasts into the house. ^^ Nothing ever happened.

Anyway, I was wondering if the book said anything about rocking horses or serving tea.
"One that was a woman, sir, but, rest her soul, she's dead." Hamlet, Act V, Scene IHow now brown cow! HOW NOW INDEED!!! AHAHAHAHA!!

#21 Boointhecity

Boointhecity

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:13 PM

Hi: how about hearing knockings outside a house, when you know that nobody is outside?

My mother has experienced this, so I was just wondering :huh:

#22 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:36 PM

Hi: how about hearing knockings outside a house, when you know that nobody is outside?

Late last night and the night before, tommyknockers tommyknockers, knocking at the door!!!!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#23 Boointhecity

Boointhecity

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:00 PM

Late last night and the night before, tommyknockers tommyknockers, knocking at the door!!!!

I want to come out,
don't know if I can,
cause I am so afraid
of the Tommyknocker
Man!

You read King! Oh yeah, we are going to get along just swell!
;) B) B)

#24 lulaboo

lulaboo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:37 AM

Im not sure if this is exactly what were looking for but i yahooed and googled tommyknockers and found these sites...

http://www.theunion..../NEWS/108080054
(The Union.Com-Western Nevada County Ca. Knock Knock;Elves Part of Wests History)

http://www.co.el-dor...mmyknockers.htm
(Cousin Jacks & Tommyknockers Remain Part of Our Mining Culture & Heritage...El Dorado County California)

http://www.gazette.n...s/128421-1.html
(Waking the Tommyknockers. Mine Said to be Haunted. Gazette.Net

http://www.lyrics.net.ua/song/1349
(lyrics to the song Tommyknockers)
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#25 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:41 AM

You're onto something now!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#26 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:50 AM

Hm, that's weird. I had a baby sparrow that was learning how to fly get tangled in my hair once. I got it out and in ended up following my into the house despite th fact that I was dragging my two sadistic beasts into the house. ^^ Nothing ever happened.

Anyway, I was wondering if the book said anything about rocking horses or serving tea.

Nothing mentioned about "rocking horses", but here's what is says about tea.

"Reading the future from tea leaves is a pastime that has entertained people for many years, and one of the most widely accepted opinion is that a tea-leaf floating on the surface of the drink indicates a visitor is on the way. Less well known is the superstition that bubbles floating on the surface indicates kisses for the drinker. If you stir the pot before pouring the tea, this is said to stir up trouble (particularly anti-clockwise), while accidentally to leave the top off the pot is a sign of bad luck. Ladies perhaps ought to be careful about allowing a man to pour out a cup of tea for them, as a British superstition (doubtless rooted in sexual symbolism) says that this will lead to their having a baby: in the North of England the story runs that if a girl allows a man to pour her out more than one cup of tea she will be unable to resist any attentions he may pay her. This is a curious variation on the idea that it was alcohol that always led to a girl's ruin! People also have differing ways of making cups of tea, but the English superstition which is still much repeated says that if young girls pour milk into the tea before putting in the sugar then they will probably die as spinsters. After taking that kind of risk one probably needs the advice of someone who can divine the future from tea leaves as quickly as possible!" :weeee:

*While visiting New Orleans a few years back, I had my tea leaves read. The woman that read my leaves saw an eagle in the cup. I don't know about that, but she said it was a good and positive sign.

Posted Image

#27 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:55 AM

Hi there! According to this book, "Knocking" isn't a good sign. Don't read any further if you are really superstitious.

"In Ireland if a knocking sound is heard three nights running on or about midnight then it is said to be a death omen for someone in the house. Similarly in Scotland, three knocks at regular intervals of one or two minutes foretells the same thing. Any knocking noise near the bed of a sick person is also said to be a death omen throughout the British Isles. In Virginia in the US there is a quaint superstition that if you knock on the door of a house and receive no answer it is a sign of death, though a more likely explanation is that there is no one at home!" :rolleyes:

#28 lulaboo

lulaboo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

okay now i remember what superstitions i wanted to know about

Bride wearing black on her wedding day is supposed to be very bad luck

and marrying (for a girl) the first initial of her last name (supposedly if it stays the same then its bad luck also)

#29 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

what about opening an umbrella indoors brings bad luck?
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

#30 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

okay now i remember what superstitions i wanted to know about

Bride wearing black on her wedding day is supposed to be very bad luck

and marrying (for a girl) the first initial of her last name (supposedly if it stays the same then its bad luck also)

Hi Lulaboo,
Will check this out and get back to you. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users