#31 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:55 PM

thanks Cyn ;)
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#32 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:03 PM

what about opening an umbrella indoors brings bad luck?

The superstition that it is unlucky to open an umbrella indoors - either for the person concerned or for those that live in the house - appears to have developed in the East where the umbrella, or sun shade, was used only by Royalty. It was naturally associated with the sun because of its shape, and with the the passage of time it became regarded as ill-omened to open it anywhere but in the presence of the sun - hence it is particularly unlucky to open one indoors during fine weather. :ph34r:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#33 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

thanks!
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

#34 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

thanks Cyn :D

Gee Lulaboo,

There is nothing in this book that mentions a bride wearing black. But, The "something blue" is the only exception to the rule that the bride should wear nothing colored - but it has to be stressed that for the good luck to be ensured the blue should be sky blue, the color of the heavens. Tradition decress that that the bride should be dressed in white the symbol of innocence and purity, and any bride who is given a dress which her mother wore is said to be lucky.

:D

PS: I searched and searched, but unfortunately there was nothing that mentioned anything about a bride having bad luck if marrying someone with the first initial of her last name. Interesting concept though, I will have to investigate further. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#35 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:03 PM

There is an eerie omen in Britain that a clock which suddenly strikes or chimes after not going for some time signifies a death is imminent in the household..

Of course death is imminent. In the form of a heart attack. :) Could you imagine having a clock sitting in your hall that hasn't chimed in years and just as you walk by it chimes out of the blue? :blink:

How about the one about spilling salt and which shoulder to throw it over, and the one about utensils falling on the floor foretelling of company. Spoon = Female guest, Fork = Male Guest.
Posted Image

#36 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:11 PM

There is an eerie omen in Britain that a clock which suddenly strikes or chimes after not going for some time signifies a death is imminent in the household..

Of course death is imminent. In the form of a heart attack. :) Could you imagine having a clock sitting in your hall that hasn't chimed in years and just as you walk by it chimes out of the blue? :blink:

How about the one about spilling salt and which shoulder to throw it over, and the one about utensils falling on the floor foretelling of company. Spoon = Female guest, Fork = Male Guest.

I know that when I spill salt, I instinctively throw it over my left shoulder. The left side is supposed to be the evil/sinister side, so I throw it to appease those spirits. There must be something to this because I work for an ophthalmologist, and the left eye is referred to as OS (Ocular Sinister). Oh, whatever! I just do it, just in case.

:blink:

#37 lulaboo

lulaboo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

[quote name='Cyn' date='Feb 17 2005, 11:11 PM']How about the one about spilling salt and which shoulder to throw it over, and the one about utensils falling on the floor foretelling of company. Spoon = Female guest, Fork = Male Guest.[/quote]
I know that when I spill salt, I instinctively throw it over my left shoulder. The left side is supposed to be the evil/sinister side, so I throw it to appease those spirits. There must be something to this because I work for an ophthalmologist, and the left eye is referred to as OS (Ocular Sinister). Oh, whatever! I just do it, just in case.

:blink: [/quote]
Ive heard of that superstition too and if i remember correctly it was started in Rome (waaaaaaaaaaaay back when)
if you spill it youre supposed to throw it over your left shoulder to appease the gods
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#38 kenshin

kenshin

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:07 AM

what about the omen about owls, its said to be a death omen but why?

also what about the one that goes If the flame of a candle flickers and then turns blue, there's a spirit in the room
"And now, I make my escape, with my metallic hostage, never to be seen again! Unless I want to be seen! In which case, if I see you, before you see me... look out!" Frank dufense 'O'mally' , red vs blue

#39 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:46 PM

Hi there,
I personally love owls. I think they are beautiful creatures and good luck. But, this book states otherwise.

"Despite the fact that we often refer to the 'wise old owl', the owl is widely regarded as a bird of ill-omen and many country people say that to see one flying or hear it hooting by daylight will bring misfortune. The origin of the superstitions about the bird obviously emanate from its solitary, night-time existence and mournful cry. Indeed there is a belief that anyone who looks into an owl's nest will become unhappy and morose for the rest of his life. If the bird is seen perching for any length of time on a house, flaps its wings against a window-pane, it presages a death or sickness therein. Some country people claim that whenever one hoots somebody, somewhere in the district has just died. Perhaps, though, the strangest superstition about the bird comes from Wales, where it is believed that if an owl is heard hooting among houses, it is signifying that an unmarried girl has just lost her virginity! In France, if a pregnant woman hears one, it is an omen that her child will be a girl; while in Germany if one is heard hooting as a child is born, the infant will have an unhappy life."

In the Southern States of America there is a popular rhyme still repeated about the owl and its cry:

"When you hear the screech owl, honey, in the sweet gum tree, It's a sign as sure as you're born a death is bound to be; Unless you put the shovel in the fire mighty quick, For to conjure that old screech owl, take care the one that's sick"

:D

#40 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Cyn, that's a pretty cool sounding book! I have something similar, only its a dictionary of symbolism.

As far as I know, Black Cats are only considered bad luck in North America, in England and I *think* Europe, they're good luck....with the White Cat being bad luck (go figure).

With Black Wedding Dresses, I just remember a line from the Little House on the Prairie book series (NOT the TV show....lol), the one where Laura prepares to marry Almanzo...and the only dress she had ready was a black one. Ma said something along the lines of "Marry in black, always come back." And from my own research about 6 years ago when I was planning my own wedding, white became the traditional colour for brides only in the mid to late Victorian era. Prior to that, it was whatever colour your best dress was. :weeee:

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#41 lulaboo

lulaboo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:14 PM

A HA! that must be it then! I recall hearing a phrase that had something to do with Marrying in black (but unsure about the rest i couldnt figure out if it meant good or bad luck.) but that was 16 years ago when i was still in High School! :weeee:

Thanks Vampchick :)

#42 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:18 PM

The idea may stem from Black being the colour of mourning (which was why I forbade women from wearing black to my own wedding), and in particular back in Victorian times when they mourned with a vengenece.

Surprising when lines from a children's book series sticks with you all this time, eh?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#43 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:40 PM

Hi Vamp,

Once again Congratulations! :weeee:

I was looking under the generic definition of Cats in this book and this is what it says:

The cat has a special place in superstition as a good luck token, primarily because it was held in the highest esteem by early man: the Egyptians, in particular, looked upon cats as gods, the male cat representing the sun, and the female the moon. The claim that the the creature has nine lives originated from this veneration as well as its well-known tenacity for life. The most famous cat superstition relates to the black cat which almost everywhere is said to be lucky, especially if one crosses your path (always make a wish if one does) and should a stray arrive at your home then this is an omen of money to come. In America, though, the black cat is thought to be unlucky, while black and white and grey cats are said to be lucky. In both America and Europe the white cat is looked upon with some suspicion, and a stray tortoiseshell coming into your home is an omen of misfortune. For a time all cats were believed to be the familiars of witches, and witches to have the power to turn themselves into felines to carry out their evil intentions. Of the less sinister beliefs about the cat, the following are among the most common. If a cat sneezes three times the family where it lives will all develop colds. (Some country folk also maintain a sneezing cat indicates rain). A cat sitting with its back to the fire is an omen of a storm to come, while if it scratches the leg of a table there will also be a change in the weather. Many country people believe that when one of these animals washes its face over its ears then a long period of wet weather is expected. Sailors say that a cat heard meowing on a ship presages trouble, while one seen leaping about in a playful manner or clawing objects is an omen of a gale. In Wisconsin, America, a cat that washes itself seated in the doorway is an omen that a clergyman is due to visit the house. Finally, it is thought to be unlucky to hear a cat crying before setting off on a journey - if it does, return and find out what it wants. And remember that no cat which has been bought will ever be any good for catching mice!

I alway felt that black cats were the best of luck. I visited Salem awhile back and on Halloween morning I found a totally black cat lounging on the roof of my car! I thought it was great!

As for white cats, my aunt and uncle adopted a stray...he is the sweetest thing although he looks like a gremlin. He had a tough life. He is missing an eye and has extra toes. But he has a nice home now..and everyone is happy ! Can't judge a book by its cover.

Here's Pookie!
Posted Image

#44 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:49 PM

Finally, it is thought to be unlucky to hear a cat crying before setting off on a journey - if it does, return and find out what it wants.

This is why I am late for work sometimes! LOL!!! Hey! Just following superstition! Can't have a bad day because I didn't stop to find out what the Cujo wanted (generally for me to stay apparently.....)

And what a sweet little kitty! Give him some kissies from me!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#45 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

Finally, it is thought to be unlucky to hear a cat crying before setting off on a journey - if it does, return and find out what it wants.

This is why I am late for work sometimes! LOL!!! Hey! Just following superstition! Can't have a bad day because I didn't stop to find out what the Cujo wanted (generally for me to stay apparently.....)

And what a sweet little kitty! Give him some kissies from me!

I will surely give Pookie kisses from you! :weeee:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users