Superstitions and Omens

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

I have this really interesting book regarding Superstitions and Omens. It is like a dictionary. If you list a topic, I will look it up for you and post it...if I can find it.
:lol:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#2 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:16 PM

:) figures!! one of my favorite subjects and i cant think of a one off the top of my head!! :angry:
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:02 PM

:) figures!! one of my favorite subjects and i cant think of a one off the top of my head!! :angry:

That's okay Lulaboo, whenever you think of something just let me know. I'll be happy to check it out! :weeee:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#4 Nacht_Wolf

Nacht_Wolf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:41 PM

Wow Cyn, that sounds like a very interesting book. I'm curious as to what it says about black cats. I have a black cat and have never bought into that rubbish about them being bad luck. Mischevious, yes. I always think "black cats are good luck," and I suppose through the effort of positive thinking, something good usually does happen.

Also, good to meet you!
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

#5 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:10 PM

Ravens and crows are supposed to be bad omens.

How about this old superstion, "If a bird hits your car's windshield, a family member has just passed away."
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#6 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:29 PM

I've actually never heard that one before Ax..though i've always heard a bird in the house is a sign of a death and if a robin flies into a room through a window, death will shortly follow

How about the one were a clock which has not been working suddenly chimes, there will be a death in the family or you will have bad luck if you do not stop the clock in the room where someone dies.

Love this subject, can't wait to hear about this book Cyn :D
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#7 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:58 PM

Step on a crack, break your mother's back?

Kill a spider and it'll surely rain?
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#8 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:00 PM

I've actually never heard that one before Ax..though i've always heard a bird in the house is a sign of a death and if a robin flies into a room through a window, death will shortly follow

I've only heard the one about the car windshield. I guess they kinda resemble each other though!

#9 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:35 PM

Wow Cyn, that sounds like a very interesting book. I'm curious as to what it says about black cats. I have a black cat and have never bought into that rubbish about them being bad luck. Mischevious, yes. I always think "black cats are good luck," and I suppose through the effort of positive thinking, something good usually does happen.

Also, good to meet you!

Very nice to meet you too! Hmmm, let's see what it says about the Black Cat.

"Perhaps the most famous of all superstitions is the belief that a black cat crossing your path will ensure good luck. Indeed so widespread and firmly held is this tradition that there are many instances in history where people have pampered black cats to an amazing degree so that misfortune should never attend them. Apart from crossing in front of you, it is also held that a black cat walking into your house will bring good luck and naturally, to kill one is extremely unlucky. The animal is said to have curative powers, too, and some blood from the tail will cure cure many minor illnesses if rubbed on the affected part. In many primitive areas of the world the black cat has been used in special rituals to appease the gods, though it is never killed. Not surprisingly we find that it became much sought after and changed hands for large sums of money. It is always stressed by those with most implicit faith in the black cat's powers that it must be totally black, that even a fleck or hair of white disqualifies it. The origin of this superstition dates back to the ancient Egyptians who greatly revered cats in general, one of their most important Goddesses being Bast, a black female cat."
:D

#10 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

How about this old superstion, "If a bird hits your car's windshield, a family member has just passed away."

Hi Axman,
I have also heard of the superstition that a bird hitting the windshield of a car is an omen of death. Unfortunately, this book doesn't mention that..but here is what is says.

Birds are believed to be the returned souls of dead people. Ever since the earliest times birds have been treated by man as symbols of good and evil, and indeed the Greeks made a science of this called Ornithomancy. By far the most widespread bird omen says that if a bird flies in and out of a room through an open window, it signals the death of someone living in the house. A variation of this says that if birds hover or fly constantly around a house, or when resting on a window sill tap against the glass, then this too portends a death. The Irish, Brazilians and Australians all believe that black and grey birds seen flying around trees at night and never settling contains the souls of evil-doers who are doing penance. In France it is said that unbaptized children who die become birds and remain so until they are baptized by John the Baptist. The Scots also have the unhappy superstition about caged birds, that if one should die on the wedding morning of a member of the family, the marriage will be unhappy and the couple will eventually separate. On a happier note it is claimed that if you see a flight of birds just before you are about to undertake a journey, their direction will indicate the success or otherwise of your trip. If they are flying to the right of you, all will be well; but if to the left, it would be as well to stay at home! Finally - and perhaps not surprisingly - a British superstition says that if bird droppings fall on you it is a sign of misfortune.......No Kidding! :D

#11 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all things paranormal. I often go to haunted locations to take pictures and EVP's. I also live in an active location and have taken many pictures and EVP's in my home.<br /> I love to read just about anything and I hope one day to become a writter of both fiction and paranormal non-fiction. <br /> Our world is still a very mysterious place. We haven't even scratched the surface!

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:41 PM

About 3 years ago, My hubby & I were driving down the road when we heard a weird"SMACK" then fluttering! We pulled over and realized that a bird had flew into my open window & smacked the back windsheild! We were doing about 40 MPH. How strange is that? :rolleyes:

Nothing bad ever happend to us. :D
To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he'll never know that he is dead. ~Samuel Butler~

#12 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

if  birds hover or fly constantly around a house, or when resting on a window sill tap against the glass, then this too portends a death.

This reminds me of Hitchcock!

BTW, I've read something about sparrows being the carrier of spirits or something like that. They are supposed to be the transporters of the spirit into the afterlife.

#13 Nacht_Wolf

Nacht_Wolf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

Thanks Cyn!

I had only heard that black cats were bad luck before. I've seen people turn right around on a street if they see a black cat cross their path.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

#14 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:37 PM

Thanks Cyn!

I had only heard that black cats were bad luck before. I've seen people turn right around on a street if they see a black cat cross their path.

Me too! I had always heard that a Black Cat crossing your path would be considered an ill omen...not according to this book. It is supposed to be a good thing, and I myself have never had a bad experience when a black cat crossed my path. I have always viewed it as a good thing, and I embraced the experience whenever it happened.

:lol:

#15 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:54 PM

if  birds hover or fly constantly around a house, or when resting on a window sill tap against the glass, then this too portends a death.

This reminds me of Hitchcock!

BTW, I've read something about sparrows being the carrier of spirits or something like that. They are supposed to be the transporters of the spirit into the afterlife.

Regarding "Sparrows"

"The sparrow is said to be an ill-omened bird in much of Europe, because it was present at the Crucifixion and encouraged the Romans to torture Christ by continually chirping "He's alive, he's alive". It is for this reason that sparrows hop rather than run, their legs seemingly tied together by invisible bonds as punishment for their lack of sympathy. Perhaps, not surprisingly, it is said to be an omen of death if a sparrow flies into the house, but is also very unlucky to kill one. Further, one should never be caught and caged, or misfortune will follow. Sparrows serve as weather omens by chirping in a very agitated manner when rain is on the way. In may parts of Britain the sparrow is regarded as the symbol of the gods of the household, and as such is important to the wellbeing of the family, and much cherished."
:rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google Mobile (1)