• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 djz2546

djz2546

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:19 AM

I am planning a trip with some friends to ohio soon. Most of our time will be spent around north olmsted, cleveland, and sandusky.  Does anyone know of any paranormal activity in these areas or at least somewhat close to them?

#2 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:31 PM

You picked a great area of Ohio!  Can't vouch for their paranormal integrity, but here are some of the more well-known legends that I've checked out and are worth the trip:

Gore Orphanage (aka Swift's Hollow) near Vermillion

Maple Grove Cemetery (also in Vermillion)

Johnson's Island (near Sandusky)--strongly recommended

Cholera Cemetery (also near Sandusky)

Republic Ghost Train and nearby cemetery in Republic, Ohio (by Tiffin)

Rogue's Hollow (covering Medina and Wayne counties, @30-40 mins south of Cleveland)

Witches' Hill aka Old Chestnut Grove Cemetery(Olmsted Falls)

Milan Cemetery, including Abbott's Tomb (also near Sandusky)

Lakeview Cemetery, including Garfield's Tomb/Monument (Cleveland Heights)

Top O' The World (in Akron, about 20 mins south of Cleveland)

Towner's Woods (in Kent, about 20 mins southeast of Cleveland)

Mater Dolorosa cemetery (Peninsula, 15 mins south of Cleveland)...oh, hell, ALL of Peninsula!

Franklin Castle (Cleveland..but it's still closed to the public during restoration)

Squire's Castle (located in the Cleveland Metroparks North Chagrin Reservation)

Flat Iron Grill in the Flats (well, the Cleveland flats are also worth checking out as part of the old Kingsbury Run killer's "playground," tho I have found no reports of hauntings based upon that gory bit of history)

Kirtland, Ohio, Wisner Road (site of the infamous melonheads and one of about 28 crybaby bridges in Ohio ::D)

There are plenty more, but these are must-see's on any tour of Haunted Northeast Ohio.   8)
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#3 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

go to ohio state university to wilson hall they have a haunted dormitory there and they have ghost tours of it.

#4 djz2546

djz2546

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:49 AM

Wow!  Some of those places sound really interesting.  Hopefully I will have time to do some investigating.  If I get any results I will post them.  Thanks for the help!

#5 Harold

Harold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

Just wanted to let you know Wilson Hall is down in Athen's at Ohio University not at Ohio State in Columbus. By the way speaking of haunted Places in ohio. I visited Wilson Hall as well as the five Cemeteries in Athens, Ohio if anyone is interested I have a great story to tell you. Feel free to email me

#6 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:39 PM

the five cemetaries if pin pointed on a map comes out to be a pentagram.

#7 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:38 PM

the five cemetaries if pin pointed on a map comes out to be a pentagram.

do you know if these cemeterys are haunted

#8 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:08 AM

Harold I would really like to hear the story. Please feel free to post it here, I am sure others would like to hear it also.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#9 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:18 PM

Try Canal Rd. in Independence (I think) Ohio (that's in Cleveland). People driving there at night have reported bright headlights that come out of nowhere. They chase you for a couple of miles and then disappear. There's lot's of history there. The visitor center is a 19th century house. Also, the cemetary is haunted. Also, at night, along the canal there has been the ghost of a civil war soldier looking for his head and there has been the ghost of a woman too. They appear on opposite sides of the canal but they never meet. Also, there is an old house on the corner of Canal Rd. and Tinker's Creek Rd. I thought it was haunted before I found out it actually is haunted. I don't remember what happened there, though. Also, a kid commited suicide there. Hope this helps. I'd love to come ghost hunting with you!
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

#10 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:38 PM

Very interesting Daewen, and also welcome to the village.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#11 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:59 PM

I heard about these cemetaries on the scariest places in u.s. which have run on weird travels on the travel channel.

#12 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:15 PM

Daewen,

The Cuy. Valley is an excellent choice!  One of the places I mentioned, Mater Dolorosa cemetery, is in the heart of this haunted section of Ohio.  

The strange lights on Canal Road is very similar to the Helltown legend.  Wondering if they're not connected...the chasing lights, at least in Helltown version, actually have some basis in fact.  A former landowner recently confessed to scaring off local teens/would-be-trespassers at night with his station wagon, and would flick on the lights for added effect.  Shoot, even the local police have been in on the joke, using the legends to their advantage to discourage kids.  Has this discouraged kids?  Hell, no!  It only enhances the legends.   :P

Hey, have you been to Tinker's Creek cemetery?  Word is that it's very active.  Unfortunately, vandalism has become so bad that the local police now have a policy of ticketing anyone who's there at night, and they're very agressive about it.

Regarding the headless ghost, the version I heard was that it was the ghost of a woman who was decapitated.  Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't two headless ghosts in the Valley.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least.   :o
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#13 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:00 AM

Well, I'm glad you've heard of it...I go there (canal rd.) all the time and I didn't know it was haunted until I heard about it...have you heard about the house?
Oh yeah, and thank you, I'm glad to be here. It's nice to be able to talk to people about ghosts and not have them think I'm crazy...
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

#14 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:25 PM

wow Ohio must have the most hauntings  

#15 Kalyn8261

Kalyn8261

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Location:x0|Millersport|USA||0|0|OH,Ohiox0|Millersport|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:23 AM

go to www.forgottenoh.com. You an search all the diffrent counties in Ohio. You go to Athens, Ohio...there is alot there. I lived around the Hocking Hills area and my mom still does and there is ALOT of old stories and hauntings there. There is some that I really want to investigate...hehe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users