Old Salem Ma. Jail

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:16 AM

I don't know if this is where this belongs or not but I found it pretty interesting knowing some of the stories behind the Old Jail itself.

First off It was built in 1813 and until it's closing (I believe in the late 90's but I am not possitice of that) was the oldest operating jail in the country. The jail has a rich history of hauntings. You are suppose to be able to see lights in there still, even though the electric has been off since it's closing. It's said you can hear talking and screams comming from within also. It is clailed that you can sometimes see prisioners standing in the yard also. It is ajacent to The Howard Street Cemetery. One of the most Haunted cemeteries in Salem Ma. Supposedly haunted by Giles Corey along with many others. There is still a trap door in the dinning room where there were many hanging that took place when the jail was first open. It is a beautiful building that has sat empty for quit a few years now and the city is starting to now make plans for it's use. (YEA!!!!)

Some of the ideas were Condos (of coures and I so hope not!), A Monopoly Museum, ( Monopoly was invented by a 16 year old Salem High School student and Parker Brothers picked it up), A Veterans Headquaters, Barns and Noble Book Store (???), Jail Museum and Tourist Attraction (hummm, kinda liked that one), A Multiculturial Center, and A reseraunt, (this is really a cool idea!!!) each cell is set up as a seperat Dinning Cell, waiter and waitress's are dressed as Prison Guards, meals have names like Jail Bird Chicken and Misdemeanor Appetizers. The person who gets their dessert that has a file in gets their meal free.

There was an other meeting tonight with the Marketing Agency that was hired by the city and an other one planned for March 3rd. A finial metting is planned for March 9th and the city is hoping to put the property out to bid later this year.

So that was the Artical in The Salem News. I really want to see something other than Condo's, something public, it's such an awsome building with so much history to make it into condo's would be such a waste and we really don't need any more condos in Salem.

I'll keep you updated with any new info that comes out. Sounds like this could get interesting! :D
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#2 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:53 AM

Please do Dodi that does sound interesting! :P
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

I like the resturant idea... With all the tours and visits to salem it would be a hit. The uniforms and names of meals would also go over well.
Keep us posted sounds good.
Cathy
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#4 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

Condos huh? So those who get spooked out of thier new homes at The old Danvers State can have a realtor suggest a fabulous one or two bedroom in historic Salem. :weeee:
Hope they make a tourist attraction out of the old jail, or something the public can visit.

#5 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal & macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:40 AM

Hey this could give me a reason to go back to Salem soon!
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#6 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

Well, I guess there was an other meeting on Tuesday and the idea of a resteraunt was very popular. A Mathar Stewart Hotel was brought up LOL! and a Hostel was even brought up. I don't know who else has heard of these, they are popular over in Europe. Most are made out of old prisons. They are popular with backpacers. The cells are kept pretty much the same as they were when used as the jails, it's cheap, just a bed and light ,usually a small desk or table. You usually have to be in by a certian time and lights out at a certian time. I guess the suggestion was made to put up the history of the Salem Jail with pictures of Famos prisoners and their tales through out the Jail. Sometime these places will serve simple meals sometimes not. Although this is kind of interesting, I'm still going with the resteraunt! :D I think to make it a resteraunt and Museum would be so interesting. Maybe tourist infomation in the Jailkeepers quaters outback? I think it's one of the best ideas they've had for Salem in such a long time it's increable. We really don't need any more Condos. They tore down the Parker Brother Buildings across the street from the Jail and put up Condo's. How much more History do they want to distroy for condo's, don't even get me started on Danvers State Insane Asylum!!!!!!!!
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#7 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

Next Meeting Is On March 3rd. I'll keep you all posted!

#8 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

I want a restaurant!! LOL....Im in CT, but I am sure Salem is only around an hour from here (I live in Manchester) Then I could get a good meal after tryin to get some spiritography at Howard St. Cemetary!!
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#9 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:10 PM

Okay I lied.....just checked mapquest, estimated two hours (But not the way my bf drives, LOL)....I'll still go visit though!
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#10 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:18 AM

:huh: I actually think the idea is unique enough that it may help with the tourist attractions around here. Make it something differant than just the same run of the mill stuff going on in Salem. I've lived here all my life and haven't been in most of the tourist attractions. The historical places, yes, they hold my interest. but this would be so off the beaten path for Salem, actually almost anywhere. A place that all ages could enjoy going to. If it's done right, it could cover so many areas that it could be one of the most popular places in Salem! I'de love to hear what Robert Cahill (Salems former Sheriff) has to say about this idea. I believe he had a fondness for this building and believed it to be haunted, from stories I've read written by him. I do think this could get interesting.

#11 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:42 PM

Well they held the last meeting till Sprin, (when ever that is here! LOL) and one more idea that cme to light was a East Coast Alcatraz! sounds kinda cool to me. However they said Condo's are still being thought of and lets hope someone with more imagionation comes aolng because this is a very historic city that is starting to look like a condo jungle. I will move out of Salem if this keeps up. They're taking away all the history to put up condo's! Why??? That Jail is so awsome that it has so much possabilities to be so much more than condo's. This is a tourist city, if they want to bring in the tourist, make it an attraction, a museum, a resteraunt, there has to be something beterr!

#12 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:02 PM

It's all a matter of money. As sad as it is, condos will bring more money to whoever's in charge. In the end, money will ALWAYS win out over history. I think that instead of the state(s) owning historical sites, they should allow private individuals or groups to buy them. So like if we all pitched in to buy this jail, then we could preserve it in a more historical manner.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#13 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:14 PM

i already tried that ice, no one wanted to pitch in to buy Northampton State Hospital :D
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

#14 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:32 PM

I'm sure we'd have to be more incorporated as a group.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#15 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

i bet if we plopped down 10 million, wed have it, no questions asked.
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users