• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:38 PM

I was watching this show about haunted locations and there was one that I thought was highly interesting. It's in a tiny farmland town about sixty miles outside of Chicago (exact location can't remember, but can find out if anyone's interested ;D). Legend has it that the son of a farmer named Moody was kidnapped and then killed. When Moody found his dead child, he hung himself on a tree nearby. Ever since, at night, you can see the glow of his lantern as he searches eternally for his kidnapped son. But this ghost story has a twist to it. If you go at night and click your carlights off and on three times, you can summon the ghost of Moody and his ghostly latern. In the show, a reporter went to the place to see if this was true. He gathered with a large number of local people in the middle of a dirt road with only miles and miles of cornfields stretching as far as the eye could see. He clicked on and off his headlights three times, and in the distance you could see a white ball of light suddenly come on. The locals say that you can chase it and chase it, but you never get any closer to it and since there is no other light source out there, they assume that it's the light coming off Moody's latern.

When I saw the show it was completely bizarre and fascinating, so I was wondering has anyone else heard of this, or better yet, done an investigation on it? It really seems to be one of those weird phenomenons or yet another piece of proof that the dead do walk among us...

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:45 AM

boy! this sure is intresting, but is there any aunthentic validations from the ghost hunters?
Posted Image

#3 NineBeanRows

NineBeanRows

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

Hmmm...I just searched for the topic and there is lots of info on the internet about it:

http://www.homestead...iles/moody.html
http://www.dawghouse...om/indiana.html
http://www.wirenot.n...L-M/Moody.shtml
http://www.unsolvedm...m/usm10036.html

...there also seem to be as many versions of the story as there are people who go to see it, but I guess that aspect is pretty typical of "road ghost" legends in general.  At any rate, lots of people claim to have seen this light.
Your pal, NineBeanRows

#4 NineBeanRows

NineBeanRows

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

P.S.--here's a link to a page that contains a picture that may be the ghost light:

http://www.angelfire...d/moodyroad.htm  
Your pal, NineBeanRows

#5 aumstead

aumstead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Civil War Reenacting, softball, and other things.

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:44 PM

The first link you listed they don't even think it is real.
Ashley Umstead"DEEP DOWN INSIDE WE ARE ALL SMART-ASSES--I JUST HAPPEN TO BE SHALLOW"

#6 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:24 PM

thanks for the links NineBeanRows

#7 aumstead

aumstead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:14 AM

Yes, thanks for the links, but does anyone know where in Indiana this happens? I live in Indiana and I would like to try this for real.
Ashley Umstead"DEEP DOWN INSIDE WE ARE ALL SMART-ASSES--I JUST HAPPEN TO BE SHALLOW"

#8 NineBeanRows

NineBeanRows

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 02:44 PM

No problem...I tried to post a variety of links; I definitely wanted to post that first one because I looked around for a while and that was the only link I found in which a group actually tried to determine if there was an explainable cause for the light.

Ashley, the link in that second post of mine (the 'angelfire' one) contains directions that are pretty specific
Your pal, NineBeanRows

#9 aumstead

aumstead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 02:48 PM

Ok thanks.

#10 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:18 AM

TY, Ninebeans for the info...like I said the show was really interesting and after a demonstration on camera, it's certainly made a believer of me! lol I mean the entire cornfields are totally black and nothing is out there...and then to see this small ball of light suddenly appear...it's just hella spooky! lol Just a cool story all in all...and hey, ashley if you do go there, be sure to tell us what if anything happens, k? :D

#11 TAPS

TAPS

Not a real member of T.A.P.S.!

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

This story sounds more like the Old Lantern Road story near Watseka, Illinois right off of 49 also. We went there last night and quite a few encounters first hand.

#12 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:13 PM

i have this on dvd its called ghost stories the history channel and a& e put it out they show the lights on film then go down road looking for it its 5 dvds
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#13 Faaip de Oiad

Faaip de Oiad

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

I have seen this I live about 30 minutes away, it truly is amazing, you drive down the road, shut your car off and flash your lights 3 times, and it appears

#14 jnormanii

jnormanii

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

I've been there a couple of times. That tree that Moody supposedly hung himself from is now a stump that has satanic symbols carved into it. Satanists used to hang animals from that tree so they cut it down to a stump. The first time I went there was like a scary movie. We had trouble finding the place because all of the roads there look the same. All gravel roads with corn fields on each side. We got to this old church that was converted into a home to ask for directions. This old woman answered the door and we asked how to find Moody's Road. In an eerie voice she said "oh, you don't want to go there. That place is evil." Then either her sister or friend came and said "yeah, that place is evil. You don't want to really go there, do you?" So they gave us directions but again warned us. There's this gravel road called Moody Road. You get about a hundred feet or so away from that stump. It is suggested to flash your lights three times but both times I've been there we didn't need to. There's a soft incline about 150 yds ahead. First there was a yellowish light that looked to be coming from an old fashioned lantern. It would get closer slowly. Then we saw another light. A green one that was also coming closer very slowly. The lights came over that little hill in the road. We tried to chase down that light but as the legend says, you can't catch it. At the end of the road is absolutely nothing. There's a dropoff into a field of nothing and there is no source for that light that can be explained. Whether or not the legend is real, the lights definitely are.

I was watching this show about haunted locations and there was one that I thought was highly interesting. It's in a tiny farmland town about sixty miles outside of Chicago (exact location can't remember, but can find out if anyone's interested ;D). Legend has it that the son of a farmer named Moody was kidnapped and then killed. When Moody found his dead child, he hung himself on a tree nearby. Ever since, at night, you can see the glow of his lantern as he searches eternally for his kidnapped son. But this ghost story has a twist to it. If you go at night and click your carlights off and on three times, you can summon the ghost of Moody and his ghostly latern. In the show, a reporter went to the place to see if this was true. He gathered with a large number of local people in the middle of a dirt road with only miles and miles of cornfields stretching as far as the eye could see. He clicked on and off his headlights three times, and in the distance you could see a white ball of light suddenly come on. The locals say that you can chase it and chase it, but you never get any closer to it and since there is no other light source out there, they assume that it's the light coming off Moody's latern.

When I saw the show it was completely bizarre and fascinating, so I was wondering has anyone else heard of this, or better yet, done an investigation on it? It really seems to be one of those weird phenomenons or yet another piece of proof that the dead do walk among us...

#15 jpuma

jpuma

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

I have been there about eight or nine times now. I go to school about 10 min from moodys road. at Saint Josephs College. Moodys Light itself is almost directly beween francessville and rensselaer. I went there my first time my freshmen year in the middle of winter on a sunday night at about 3:00 in the morning. I had to admit it was really creepy. once we got there we realize we were in the middle of nothing and we flashed our lights 3 times and one of my friends actually had to pee so he got out of the car and went to go pee in the field and as he was outside we saw the light and he booked back into the car it was really scary at first the light starts off dim then flickers out and changes colors from a blue to a red to orange and it gets bigger but never closer. we sat out there for about an hr and after a while we saw a really bright light ( that wasnt as typical as the other lights we saw) and it got bigger and seemd to get closer then we saw it kinda blink orange and we saw a semi turn...we dont believe that the lights we saw before were the same as the semi light it wasnt the same as the others it didnt fade in and out.

i didnt go back for a long time until about my junior year in the begining of the summer and since my frist time i am assuming that the owners of the farm down the road got very argry with the late night traffic and put in a very bright blue street light...but if you drive up the road ( not by the stump) just a little farther north you are actually kind of up on a hill and the blue stree light does not get in the view of moodys light. everytime i have gone i have seen moodys light. it never seems to be more active at any specific time of day. i have gone in december at 5:30 on a friday night and i have gone at 12:00 on a tuesday night it doesnt seem to matter everytime i have seen something everytime you flash your lights ( not everytime...but it works)

if you are actually in that area checking out moodys light there is actually a much cooler place to go. its called glowing grave...its about 10 min away south the other side of hwy 114 ( on the other side of the new corn refinary) the best way to get there is... take hwy 114 west like you are headed to rensselaer and take a left ( south ) onto marion school road that will dead end into mt calvery road you will turn left ( there will be another instant turn onto kelpler) from kelpler the first road you see on the left it will almost be instant it called 725 take that down a while maybe 2-3 miles and you will come up over this small hill and there are road signs that say keep right on the left side of the road is a grave yard (this is where the glowing grave is its in the back of the of the grave yard)

now what you do....go when there is no corn! othewise it will not work! drove past the grave yard down the road my friends and i always drive down to S.107( on the left) and turn around then you turn your brights on and you drive back down the road and look at the cementary as you get closer to it...about 1000 feet before it ( my friends and i have slammed on our breaks and just sat and watched it glow... but the grave will light up its in the back of the grave yard and it really is a cool thing to see...not sure if its haunted but its a creepy looking grave yard and without fail will glow everytime... if you dont know the area it might take a few times to figure out where you need to be looking...but if you have a full car just tell everyone to look to there right out a ways and someone will be bound to see it ( local rumor says you have to drove 60...you dont i have done 15 and even stoped on the road and you can still see it...dont go flying down that road my friends and i like to drive out there and see it and we often see many deer out there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users