32 replies to this topic

#1 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:21 PM

I went by her grave today and took this picture.. Thought it was interesting and the story that follows is what they say about her. I still cant figure out how she has 2 death dates

Posted Image

Hannah Cranna,the Wicked Witch of Monroe

ACCORDING TO LOCAL tradition, Hannah Cranna did not earn much of a reputation as a witch while her husband, Captain Joseph Hovey, was alive. Even as plain Mrs. Hovey, though, she may not have been on very good terms with her neighbors, because very soon after her husband's death, the rumors began circulating that she had some sort of hand in it. What happened was this: one fine evening, while in the prime of life, Capt. Hovey had gone out for a walk, from which he never returned. For some unexplainable reason, he had apparently become disoriented or lost his way in an area which he had known all his life, and ended up toppling over a cliff. As searchers brought in his body the next day, several of them mumbled that Hannah Cranna (just when Mrs. Hovey assumed this strangely witch-like name is uncertain) must have placed Hovey under some sort of spell. Otherwise, they said, he never would have taken the plunge.
Hannah did little to discourage this sort of talk and, if we can believe the many stories that still circulate among the people of Monroe and vicinity, perhaps even stimulated the belief in her supernatural powers. For example, having already built a heavy reputation for cursing neighbors who failed to keep her well-supplied with free food and firewood (and doing very well by the gimmick, thank you), she chanced one day to stroll past a farmhouse where some freshly-baked pies sat cooling on the kitchen window-ledges. Hannah marched up to the door and asked the farmer's wife for one of the pies. Having recognized her visitor and recalled her reputation for casting effective spells if crossed, the housewife chose a small pie and offered it to her. "No way," said Hannah. "I want that one," she shrilled, pointing to the largest pie on the shelf. At that, the brave baker put her foot down. "That's my husband's favorite kind," she stated, firmly, "and you shall not have it." Hannah Cranna turned on her heels and stomped out the door, fire in her eye and a curse on her lips. Let us hope the farmer enjoyed his pie, because his good wife, somehow, was never able to bake another one.

Then there was the case of Hannah's forbidden trout brook. Unlike all the other fishing waters in the area, the stream which ran through the widow Hovey's property on Cutler's Farm Road (or maybe it was Turkey Roost Road) in Monroe had been declared off-limits for fishing by the owner. Since the creek was known to contain bank-to-bank "brookies," however, one brave sportsman finally decided to risk Hannah's wrath for just one shot at landing some of these beauties. Unfortunately, she caught him in the act and laid upon him a curse which not even the fisherman's prayer could disarm. Later, they say, he had to find another hobby, for that angler never caught another fish.

Possessed of a touch like that, the temptation was to flaunt it. And that Hannah Cranna did, to the point where people began to seek her out for favors. But Hannah was a hard case. She absolutely refused to cast spells on request unless the supplicant professed complete faith in her and her powers. But, if someone were willing to express such homage, she could work unbelievable magic. Once, for example, a farmer came to the wicked witch to seek her assistance in saving his withered and dying crops. Desperate for an end to the killing drought, the farmer willingly laid his soul at her feet in exchange for Hannah's intercession with the rain gods. "You got it," she promised, "before daybreak." Promptly at midnight, the first rain in weeks began falling.

In her later years, Hannah Cranna was attended by a pet rooster named "Old Boreas." Neighbors claimed that Boreas always crowed precisely at midnight with such uncanny accuracy that they set their clocks by his call. They said, however, that the wonder rooster's death hastened the end for his owner. After Boreas crowed his last, Hannah held an impressive candlelight burial service and then went into deep mourning for her late companion. A few days after burying her feathered friend, Hannah informed a neighbor who had come by to comfort her that she, too, was about to die. She then began to give the startled man explicit instructions about her own burial. "The coffin must be carried by hand to the graveyard," she insisted, "and I must not be buried before sundown." She died the next day.

Although her neighbors were inclined to carry out her wishes, a heavy snow storm began the day she died, and by the time it ended, the snow was too deep to permit hand-carrying Hannah's body to the cemetery. Instead, the mourners strapped her onto a sturdy, horse-drawn sled. But as the sled pulled away from her house and started up the hill to the graveyard, the straps must have somehow come loose, for, lo and behold, the casket fell off the rear of the sled and slid all the way down the hill to her doorstep! Fearing a similar accident, the attendants next secured the plain, board coffin to the sled with heavy chains. To make doubly sure there would be no more slip ups (or downs), several men -- braced against the elements with considerable "anti-freeze" -- sat on top of the coffin. This time, the sled had scarcely started to move before Hannah's casket began to shudder and shake so violently that the men were thrown to the ground. If the horses had not halted, the chains probably would have snapped from the strain.

The mourners decided at this point to carry out her original instructions, though the way was almost impassable on foot. And, luckily, by the time the bearers made it to the cemetery, the sun had gone down. Congratulating themselves on finally getting the old witch under ground, the funeral procession moved slowly back through the snow after the burial services, too slowly, as it turned out, to save Hannah Cranna's home. As they reached the top of the hill overlooking the departed sorceress' house, the empty bungalow burst into flames. It burned out of control until nothing was left but a smoking cellar-hole, fit monument, no doubt, to the wonder-working woman whose simple stone in the Stepney Town Cemetery reads: HANNAH CRANNA, 1783-1859-60 WIFE OF CAPTAIN JOSEPH HOVEY
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#2 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

wow cool story cath!! I felt like i was almost there :wub: thanks for typing all that up :weeee: and the pic is awesome!

#3 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

http://www.tangledfo...edf/hannax.html

Here is another site about her.. Ill try to find more

#4 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

http://www.angelfire...erances/ct.html

Here is a paranormal site on Connecticut.. I tried to cut out the information on Hannah but it would not allow it. If you go half way down the page it will talk about MONROE and hannah (there is also a bit of information on Gunntown the place I m always posting picture of. just under monroe look for Naugatuck)
Cathy

http://www.monroehis...annacranna.html

(last site I promise.. It is from the town historical society.)

#5 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:02 PM

supposively if i remember correctly she was buried and was not not truely dead yet as they had a bad habit of doing in those days. Someone had heard her scream during the night but just shrugged it off i guess but upon investigated they learned that it must have been her and dug her up only to reveal that she had awoke and tried to claw her way out of the coffin and then they ofcourse reburied her. This is where the 2 dates actuallt come from if i can find the site where it comes from ill post it but its a pretty know tale around connecticut....... :D :weeee:
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#6 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

Thanks Cooolchick I think I have heard that tale also. It is not really heard of that much anymore. I was not able to get anymore shots but next week I will try.
Thanks for the information
Cathy

#7 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:54 PM

What a fun read! I am impressed that the Monroe Historical Society had info on Hanna

http://www.monroehis...annacranna.html
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#8 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:53 PM

i guess that i am trying to keep this one alive to see if someone can "dig" up any new info on this lovely lady......

:bluebounce: :greenbounce: :redbounce: :weeee: :wave: :hug: :bluebounce: :redbounce: :bluebounce: :brownbounce: :redbounce :redbounce:

how many more posts till i hit the next level????????????

Can anyone tell me???
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#9 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:34 AM

Hello cooolchick647 I drove by it yesterday again picking up my husband... I was mad I forgot to put my camera back into my car. When I went to Salem Ma a week and a half ago I took the camera out of the car to download pictures. Ill try to remember it next time. I slowed down to show my kids the grave but did not get out of the car. It is a hard place to get to.. Meaning it is right on the side of the road on a very busy street.. There is no parking and a small hill to climb up to her stone.. But it still gives you that feeling of some one is there watching you... Ill see when I can get back down there (it is a half hour away from my house) and try to get more shots of it....

#10 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all things paranormal. I often go to haunted locations to take pictures and EVP's. I also live in an active location and have taken many pictures and EVP's in my home.<br /> I love to read just about anything and I hope one day to become a writter of both fiction and paranormal non-fiction. <br /> Our world is still a very mysterious place. We haven't even scratched the surface!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:13 AM

That was a great read! Thanks so much for posting it! :hug:

I'm gonna go to all the sites everyone posted to read more about her. The picture is great. Can't wait to see more! Whirly Dude :Spaz: :clap: :redbounce: :Spaz:
To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he'll never know that he is dead. ~Samuel Butler~

#11 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for posting this! What a wonderful History story!!! Has anyone found out yet why there are two death dates on the grave or did I miss something? I'd like to see more pictures too!!! Feel bad for her husband....wish I had that spell for my ex....just kidding! None the less what a wonderful site to share. Thanks!
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#12 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

i dont think that anyone knows why there are two dates on this unless maybe she died in the between both years ...........hmmmmmmnew years eve basically just another thought :Spaz:

:brownbounce: :bluebounce: :purplebounce: :redbounce: :bluebounce: :purplebounce: :redbounce: :greenbounce: :redbounce: :bluebounce: :greenbounce: :redbounce: :brownbounce:

#13 dante129

dante129

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:33 PM

Any more information on this would be helpful. I am related to Captain Joseph Hovey. (My name is Michael Hovey). He was a great great great uncle I believe. He is listed in a family history book my father owns. My father and I have been trying to get information about her for months now since we read the story on the Monroe Historical Society webpage. Online info is very limited.

As far as for the death date, I believe they did not creat accurate records during the winter months. Since she had no surviving relatives in the town, no one payed close attention to the actual deathdate. They only knew she died during the winter of 1859-1860. Due to the extreme weather the grave marker would not be made and placed until the Spring so they could place it in softer ground and they would have to spend less time in the harsher elements planting a gravestone. I believe this was a common practice back then.

Mike

#14 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:51 PM

Mike this is wonderful information how you are related to Joseph Hovey I will try to find some information for you.. I was there the other day and took a few more pictures.. Ill post them
Cathy
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

Mike I have been looking around and all I found was this little bit. But at the bottom of it there is a button that says "contact us" maybe if you write them they can help you find out more information.. Good luck
Cathy
http://www.curbstone...cfm?webpage=105

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users