Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Haunted Inns in Salem Massachusetts???

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:26 PM

Does anyone know of any haunted Inns in Salem, Massachusetts, or any haunted houses I can visit when I go?

Thanx.

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:29 PM

Welcome 3tbear, I don't know of any thing off the top of my head but there are a number of New Englanders on the board plus many others who I truly believe know every paranormal related site on the web...let me or one of the other villagers look into this for you

as promised:  

http://gonewengland....ly/aa092699.htm

here's the town's website:

http://www.salem.org/index.asp
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:28 AM

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.theshadow...ssachusetts.htm
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#4 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:33 AM

In Salem? Not that i know of.
But you should go to the witch dungeon. man i cried like a baby in there.  :'(

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#5 spookymonkey

spookymonkey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:41 PM

try the Salem Inn on Summer street.  I hear of weird bumps in the night there.  I live here by the way and would be happy to play tour guide.  Check out the howard st. cemetary after dark.  Good orb photos almost every time, right from the wall. Being right next to the abandonded county jail doesn't hurt i'm sure! Most of the residents here that I know that live in old homes have a tale or two, and I've only met a few who don't have funny things happening in their houses. That inn is also right across the street from the witch house, the macintyre historical district, and around the corner from the pickering mansion.  It dates from the 1600's, still has Pickerings in it (living and otherwise) and is one of the spookiest looking houses I've seen!  Have fun and let me know.  spookymonkey.

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:39 AM

Welcome Spookymonkey, hope you stay awhile and share what you've expeirenced...I think for most Americans the history of Salem is the first time they've heard about "Witches" or "mass hysteria"
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

• Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 10:11 AM

:P Thank you for the welcome, and the offer for a guide around town is open for all fellow villagers!  I have plenty of stories to tell about Salem, and many crazy experiences from other places to share.  Folks were reporting strange things around here long before the witch trials. Add to this a history of wars, privateers, shipwrecks, whalers, and a penchant for captains to try and out do each other by bringing back the screwiest stuff they could find around the world. Witch hysteria is just the tip of the iceberg.(locally considered to be for the tourists)Thanks again, spookymonkey.

#8 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:00 PM

Hello, I live right around the corner from The Salem Inn and went to school with one of the people who grew up in the house. He told me a few stories about the place and although they don't advertise it as haunted, from the stories he told me I would say it is. If I remember correctly I believe he felt it was a female spirit and a protective one at that. I have been in to the Inn and found it beautiful. Knowing some of the stories I was told I also found it very interesting. Just a piece of info, the inn is booked in October for several years ahead of time and with visiters as far away as Japan and Europe.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#9 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:19 PM

Just thought of a few interesting things I've heard about Salem, I was told one of the most haunted places in Salem was the Coustom House. I was told but haven't tried it yet, that if you go stand on the steps by the door at night you can hear voices and see lights and movement inside.

Also the Jashua Ward House just next to Dunkin Donuts in Riley Plaza is suppose to be extremely haunted. It is the old residence of the sherriff during the witch trials and Giles Cory is said to have cursed the place along with all the sherriffs in Salem. Giles Cory is said to appear in Salem just before a disaster is about to hit Salem. Supposedly the sherriff took many a person into the residence and tormented them there to try and get them to admit to their crime. That of witchcraft.

Also there is the Old Burial Point in Salem on Charter St. This is an awsome place to visit on it's history alone. The Broad Street Cemertry is pretty interesting and has it's share of ghost stories ( as does almost every cemetery). It's hard to go almost any place in Salem without there being a storie about someplace in the area being haunted.

I myself live in a house that was built in 1897 and has alot of history. I have found the names of everyone who has lived here and would love to find out more about them. I know there were 2 tragic deaths in 1980 of 2 childeren and a puppy. I know a little about some of the people who first lived her but I can never get enough history, especially about my own house. The problem with that is it is very time consuming, so I find a little at a time and try to keep working on it.

All in All Salem Is a very interesting place at all times of the year. If you get the chance to visit, do it. You won't get board.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#10 Annalisa

Annalisa

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:art, gardening, theater, movies,travel,swimming

Posted 12 October 2003 - 12:16 PM

I loved Salem.  You are so lucky to live there.

#11 ghosthuntress16

ghosthuntress16

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 04:28 PM

I'm wicked excited - I'm going on a school day trip to Salem, MA on October 29! We're going to the Witch House, the Witch Dungeon, and the House of 7 Gables. I cant wait, I cant wait! I've lived in MA my entire life, but have never gone there - always wanted to. Anything else I shoudl check out? Is Laurie Cabot worth going to try to meet?
Believe as if your life depended on it, for indeed it does.

#12 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:36 AM

I'm wicked excited - I'm going on a school day trip to Salem, MA on October 29! We're going to the Witch House, the Witch Dungeon, and the House of 7 Gables. I cant wait, I cant wait! I've lived in MA my entire life, but have never gone there - always wanted to. Anything else I shoudl check out? Is Laurie Cabot worth going to try to meet?

went to 2 out of 3 of those. The House of the Seven Gables is like a friggin maze, but it was really purty.

by the time we had gotten to the witch house we were too late for the tour.

witch dungeon =  :'(

Laurie Cabot is NOT worth trying to meet.  :-X

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#13 twinkie

twinkie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 10:46 AM

Hello Again! I just thought you guys would want to know that I do not have any updates on haunted inns, sorry. I have how ever gone on my first night time taking photo tour of two of the Salem cemeteries I mentioned and got awsome pictures. I went out on my own about 11:00 PM or so. I would not suggest you do this alone. Only because there are some weird people who hang out there after dark. This is a saftey issue only. I really got some awsome photos and enjoyes the experiance other than the few live people who seemed to frighten me more than the ones who had passed away long ago. If you'de like to see the photo's send me an e mial and I'de be happy to pass them on. As Always. Sorry about the spelling.  

#14 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 02:19 PM

Hey, Sorry guys but that wasn't Twinky that was me on using his screen name. It's Dodi, so please do send any inquiries to me for the pictures not him. Sorry for the mix up. I also went a second time just last week end and got over 100 pictures this time. There were 4 of us this time. there was a full moon too. Again, sorry for the mix up.

#15 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 04:39 PM

Hi Dodi and glad to see that you registered. And welcome twinkie, we would be glad to hear from you too. Now as far as the pics go, you could post a few on the spiritography board if you would like. I am sure there are others out there like me that would be glad you did. 8)
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users