Haunted Inns in Salem Massachusetts???

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 GyoengyiG

GyoengyiG

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:History, literature(especially sci-fi/fantasy and historical fiction), music(all types, but especially jazz and classical), poetry, puppetry, sculpture, gardening, photography, ghosts/spirits/life after (of course!), languages and cultures other than English/American, travel

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:09 PM

Hi,
I also live nearby, and teach in the next town over...The Hawthorne Hotel is also said to be haunted, as is the Jonathan Archer house....and there are some spooky things that happen at the Immaculate Conception Church, too!

Laurie Cabot is like PT Barnum...She was an exotic dancer before *converting* to Wicca....

Hth ;D
Jeanne Gabriel PociusDirector, North Shore Brass Associates4 Cressey Ave, Salem, MA 01970 (978)317-4731Email:jgpocius@yahoo.comMIZPAH: <I>The Lord God watch between me and thee while we are parted one from the other.Genesis XXXI:49

#17 RON3002

RON3002

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:58 PM

I am part of a small group of paranormal investigators,and would to get together with someone from the area to play tour guide.Probably won't be till next spring or summer( I hate the cold).
RON

#18 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal &amp; macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 27 October 2003 - 09:15 AM

My wife and I drove the hour and a half to Salem from Maine last weekend. I'd been before about 9 years ago, but she'd never been. I have to say I was disappointed, as was my wife. Mostly because it was just too darn crowded to even do much of anything.  Course it was the Bizarre Bazaar....I enjoyed it much more when I went in November a long time ago.
The funny thing about Salem is that each time I've been, I sense a very very bad vibe in the air. My wife couldn't shake the feeling either. Not really evil, just negative...sad. It clings to you, sticks with you. It took a couple to days to feel like ourselves again. My theory is that the age-old spirits are not happy with the crowds, the noise, the general sense of exploitation and disrespect that the town creates. I was shocked to see the Old Burying Point open with literally hundreds of people strolling around, sitting on graves, posing for photos, littering, etc.
And I'm glad we didn't get sucked into one of those "haunted" candlight walking tours of alleged haunted areas....because they look like the farthest thing from scary. There were several groups of them walking around with their candles, but it must have been hard to get into the spirit of the thing, with all the traffic, street lights, noise, etc.  ::)
I dunno. I don't want to discourage any who haven't been from going, because there is some cool stuff there, but I just wish that Salem had treated their culture and lore with the respect and integrity of Plymouth or Williamsburg instead of what amounts to basically a witch fair.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#19 spookymonkey

spookymonkey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 09:26 AM

Yankeepyrate, on behalf of those of us who live in Salem, I'm sorry.  The weekend you picked could'nt have been worse.  Saying that we have no sense of historic integrity based on the weekend before halloween is a little unfair.  A bit like saying that New Orleans has no pride in its history when you only visit during the Mardi Gras.  Your initial visit in Nov. is a much better idea for those who want to skip the freak show.  As for your uneasy feeling here, well that is here all the time, not just Oct., and it has been remarked upon since before the europeans arrived.  One of the many reasons to call Salem home.  Any way if you and your wife are willing to give us another go, I would be happy to play tour guide and give you the straight dope on all the fun spots.

#20 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:08 AM

Hey Spookymonkey, I agree 100%. I take so much pride in Salems history. The tourist thing gets to me sometimes as I live smack in the middle of it, it makes it pretty hard to even get home at times. However, looked at from the right perspective it's also kind of fun. People come from all over the world to experiance this, hotels and motels are booked years in advance. It really does elploit what Salem is all about, for one month out of the year. I get to live in  a history filled city and explore more places than most people get to see in a life time. I have lived here all me life and still have seen 1/2 of what Salem has to offer, and I'm not just talking the tourist stuff. There is much more to Salem than Halloween. Give us an other try any other time of the year.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#21 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:57 AM

I will make it to Salem one day come hell or high water!  I'm a born and raised New MExican and for some reason am completely drawn to the Boston- Salem area!  I can't wait to go!  How long of a drive is it from Boston to Salem?
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#22 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:04 PM

I'm real bad with directions and time but maybae a 1/2 hour to and hour. You really should come. It really is an interesting place.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#23 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal &amp; macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 29 October 2003 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, you guys are right - I shouldn't judge based on going on the worst possible weekend.  :) I think we will indeed come back in November when the crowds are gone and we can really appreciate it.
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who noticed that strange dark feeling in the air....spooky eh?
Thanks for the offer spookymonkey...I might just take you up on it. Should be fun!
Yeah, Salem is a little over half an hour from Boston...but when the traffic is bad it can take almost another half hour just to get the two or three miles from the exit off 128 to Salem proper!  :o
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#24 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:50 AM

:o Just thought you'de like an update from Haunted Happenings! They estimeted that some 80,000 people showed up this year on Halloween. It was a crazy year! However. We're back to normal (whatever that may be) so, feel free to make the trip back down. We'de love to have ya.

#25 armadilloswill

armadilloswill

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:44 PM

I live in Salem. I grew up in Beverly, which is next to Salem.I love living in Salem, but it's the last place I want to be for the month of Oct.Way to many tourists. It's bad enough in the summer.
Chuck C. Salem Ma

#26 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 06:32 AM

Hey with Spring HOPEFULLY on it's way I would suggest maybe thinking of a trip up(or down as the case may be). It's beautiful here in the spring and you can get in and out of all the places you want without any trouble. :)

#27 Gargoyle0134

Gargoyle0134

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:59 AM

-A couple things I know from when I lived in NH and we used to take the kids for "Trick-or-Treat" in Salem.
  One, Dunkin' Donuts IS major HAUNTED!
  Two, the "House of the Seven Gables," where Hawthorne stayed with his cousins in the summers is MESSED UP with spirits!
   Three, there is a cemetary (Hanging Cemetary-and while I think of it, also the one near town) there that has many of the Christians, accused by the teen females as witches, buried there.-They were killed without due cause and are mad as hell. The teens had been eating a rye bread that had a mold that is associated now with LSD (ergot) and were hallucinating and the "witches" were NOT and..I avoid that place. The spirits there are not happy.
    Sorry, but I disagree that Laurie Cabot is not worth trying to meet.-I know she is called "The Plastic Witch," But not only is meeting her a life experience not to be missed, but because she charges for readings and takes credit cards people say so...But she, like everyone else, has bills to pay and who does readings quite accurate these days? The fact is, the police dept. has had her solve many cases, and she has succeeded! I know the reading I personally had with her was accurate to the name! And she encouraged my kids to delve deeper and consider their own powers! (Let them hold her jeweled-staff, which she usually does with no one, and was wonderful!) -Her website is  www.lauriecabot.com. Check her and the links out.-She has my loyalty. (Even now that I live in FL.)
    ...But also...Salem is 30 min. from  Lexinton and Concord, (they are down I-95)and a good haunted place is called "Poet's Row." It is in Concord, Mass.-Buried next to each other there are Theoreau, Emerson, Louisa May Alcott and Hawthorne. A place to see. A few miles away is the Lexington battleground where the "shot heard round the world" was fired and many died.
  -Just some suggestions if you are out that way!
       Lynn/Gargoyle!
P.S.-Walden's pond is in Concord, also. And, there is a shop I suggest called "The Broom Closet" in Salem you might wish to visit for fun. But definitely, if you are from out of state and go there, go on Oct. 31st and watch the "Witche's Parade" (book early..the town is PACKED)to honour the killed "witches" and celebrate the Witch New Year when the veil is thinnest between this world and that of the dead! Something to see!

#28 Gargoyle0134

Gargoyle0134

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:11 AM

The "House of the Seven Gables" is a book written by Nathaniel Hawthorn. (He is buried in Concord , Mass, with louisa Mae Alcott, thoureau and Emerson.) It is also the home of his cousins he used to live in during summers and it is haunted!-There is a hotel called the Hawthorn that is haunted. Enjoy!
         Lynn/Gargoyle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users