Natural Remedies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:49 PM

I like to use natural remedies whenever possible instead of taking OTC drugs. Thought we could all post ones we use and like and know work well.

Stress/Anxiety:
Valerian Sedative Tea
1 c. boiling water
1 tsp. dried valerian root
To prepare tea, pour boiling water over the dried root and cover to prevent evaporation. Steep for 10 minutes, and strain.
CAUTION-Valerian may cause headaches and muscle spasms. Do not take for long periods of time! (I have never had a problem, but usually only use the tea for 3-4 days at a time.)
You also may be able to purchase tea in the natural food section of grocery store-I use Yogi Tea organic bedtime which also contains various other herbs including chamomile.

Headaches:
Herbal tea for tension headaches
1 c. water
1 tsp. fresh chopped ginger root
1 tsp. dried chamomile
1 tsp. dried linden

Simmer the ginger in the water in a covered pot for five minutes. Remove from heat. Add chamomile and linden, steep covered for ten minutes. Strain and drink hot (sweeten if desired)

I can also take requests. These recipes are from my handy dandy herb bible lol- 1001 Natural Remedies, Laurel Vukovic and the Editors of Natural Health Magazine (also covered in book-natural beauty care, natural pet care, natural home and garden. I highly reccomend this book)
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#2 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Great thread Angelina. I was just thinking today that somebody should start a thread like this one, and voila, you did. :weeee:

I am a long time sufferer from heartburn and reflux. I have tried over the counter meds, and prescription meds, and had minimal if any relief, and when they did work, it was short term. So I did some surfing on the net to try to find a natural remedy, and I read one that was so simple it was unbelievable. I tried it, and sure enough, it worked. I told other people who also suffer from it, and they have also found relief. I have not had to use any medication since switching to this, and I am pain free. You won't believe it til you try it, but the simple solution is when you feel heart burn coming on, chew gum. I swear, that is all it took. Within a couple of minutes everything will settle down and you will be on your way. After a few days of this, you will be surprised at how seldom you have flair ups. I hope others find it as effective as I have.
Posted Image

#3 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:01 PM

LOL my tuner must be turned up high today....That is so weird I can't believe it works!! I will have to try it, I get heartburn quite frequently. Thanks!
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#4 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:52 AM

My dad teaches plants and civilizations, so practically everything in our yard has some medicinal use.

tie a green ti leaf around your head to stop head-aches

mash neam leaves and use as a natural disinfectant or insecticide (don't eat the leaves!!)

Each chinese cherry (also called acerola) contains a full day's dose of vitamin C.

Aloe Vera is a cure all for upset stomache, burns, cuts, etc. Even makes a good shampoo.

Noni - take internally for everything. Science hasn't finished breaking it down.

Coconut milk (not coconut water!) or coconut meat will act as a laxative if eaten in large doses.

Banana will stop the runs.

If you've overeaten (and feel the bloat!), eat a smallish piece of pineapple. The pineapple will break down any protein still in your stomache.

Cinnamon leaves make a great realaxing tea.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#5 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:29 PM

Great topic angelinayorke - Not all of mine are completely homeopathic but certainly more natural than a prescription.

Raw potatoes will draw infection from a wound (I spent my childhood walking around with raw potatoes strapped to my body)

Boric acid - It's perfectly safe-really and been around forever, is wonderful for eye injuries or a cold in the eye or pink eye. You can pick it up in the eye product section of most drug stores. Read and follow the directions for making a wash.

For a sty in the eye - rub gold (like a wedding ring) on it for several minutes before you go to bed - it will be gone (or almost gone) in the morning. It's like a miracle really!

Cola syrup is fabulous for nausea and morning sickness. In the olden days we used to take an empty bottle to the drug store and the "soda jerk" would fill it for you - sometimes you can find it in a drug store and it is cheap!
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#6 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:04 PM

Backache

Arnica gel or ointment-arnica helps to ease muscle pain and soreness and has anti-inflammatory properties. It was also speed the healing process. Rub a liberal amount into you rback three to four times a day until the pain has subsided.

CAUTION: Do not apply arnica to broken skin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users