• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:09 AM

A very nice family had asked me to come to thier home & take photos/recordings hoping to capture a glimpse of thier much loved ghost.
They are fully aware that orbs may mean dust, false positives, & all that. This is a fun, open minded, educated, great family. I actually did get a few great picts, as well as the usual orbs. (SO sorry I cant post ONLY becouse I dont have permission)
I was thinking of giving them a disc with all photos taken, and printing the ones that may be interesting, enlarge & cropped areas of interest, maybe put them in a nice scrap book or binder for them. On each page explaining why I think it is of interest, and any explainable factors that may be involved, like the dust/orb- theories of life etc.
Was wondering if this nice enough, or how everyone else goes about presenting thier findings.

#2 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:13 AM

Hey Boom, Sound very professional and interesting to me. Sonds like you put a lot of thought into it. I think putting all possable explinations is a great idea also. :)
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#3 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:15 AM

Sorry, I think either the scarpbook or bindedbook is ok depening on your judgment of the job, but I trust your judjment anyway.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#4 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:30 AM

Here is what I do:

First of all before I ever do an investigation, right along with the permission forms to come in and investigate, we also have them sign a form telling us what level of exposure the evidence may have. From not being able to share at all to being able to give their name and address.

If I get my pictures back and I have some interesting shots that I feel are paranormal, like some orbs that aren't dust or some mists, etc. I will have copy photographs made. Since I won't use digital for an investigation and only film, this is the only way that I can do it of course.

The book sounds like a nice idea but when you do a lot of investigations it can get a little time consuming and spendy. I just present the evidence to them verbally and give them a copy of the pictures if they are interested.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:52 PM

I never even thought of having them sign a permission form. Oops! (slaps oneself in the forehead) Ok lesson learned for next time. Trust me when I say I dont investigate inside folks homes to often! But maybe by making this nice looking, organized, and level headed, that maybe this could get my foot in other doors.
For this run all photos are digital. Didnt have a 35mm that night (do now, thanks much again Dodi!) The evps were a bust.
I will take your advise Dodi and write an explanation under each photo. Hoping I have time to get this all together and nice looking before tomorrow noon! My printer wont work which is posing a serious problem! Will pull an all nighter if I have to!
I am lucky that this family is looking at this from a fun and entertaining point of view. Good practice & experience for me, great fun and a nice photo book for them.
WISH ME LUCK !
(How stupid I forgot a permission form!!!!)

#6 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

boombalu,

When I have been invited into private homes, it's not to take pictures, but to see what I can "see". My referrals are almost always via word of mouth.

So, I have no pictures to present, but of course, the residents want to know if their concerns are valid or not. I carry a tape recorder and have it turned on from the minute I enter the home. Everything I say is recorded, and I make sure to document which part of the home I'm in when I'm speaking. And yes, I do speak directly to the spirits I see. I try to speak descriptively so they know exactly who their visitors are.

I always give them the tape, and they're always just thrilled. The feedback has been great...They play the tape for friends and family, take it to work, etc, etc....

If you're sensitive at all, it might be an idea to consider to go along with your lovely scrapbook idea.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:43 PM

I think you have come up with a great idea. It sounds very professional to me, and since you don't get many private homes it may not get to expensive but yet will get you started with a foot in the door.

#8 chowder

chowder

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:31 AM

I agree that giving a copy of photo is a good idea. If possible put them all on a disk, cropped and not cropped and with captions. Something like that would leave a good impresion on the home owners and they will mostlikely refer you to friends.

#9 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

If possible, I like to give the hard copy photos. The reason I do this over putting it on a disk is that when they go to the lake for a weekend with friends, they can take their pictures with them and share. If it were on a disk they would have to have a laptop or something to share them.

#10 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

what I had to end up doing was printing all the good picts 8x10, including cropped and close ups. Plain old orbs printed 4 to a 8X10 page.
All photos I took in the house on a disc for them.
Included print out of other research.
Gave these all loose so they could be passed around to all people there, a small group. Pictures of interest came out very good, no explanation was needed. No evps caught so no cd to play.
Seeing as I was to sick to go myself that day, I mean nasty head cold wicked sick, fever, chills and gore, my amazing wonderful mom (who thinks I am nuts but was blown away by photos) was kind enough to bring them for me. These are friends of hers so all was well. Everyone liked and had fun. I missed big tad-dah presenting photos and all the fun, boo-hoo me.
I will meet these nice people again in two weeks and have a nice booklet put together that they can keep with other family photos. They love the ghosts they live and I thought something the same size as a family album type thing would be fitting for this situation.
I was very lucky to have this opportunity.
Very nice people, nice ghosts, good photos.
Thanks for the advise everyone, will use ALL of it.

#11 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:05 AM

Boombalu, sounds like a fantasic idea..........as well as everyone else's......if I ever have the opprotunity, I will keep them in mind
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#12 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

Ok , keep in mind im still new at all this, how come you'd want to give them a whole scrap book etc? doesnt that cost money?? and time?? I think holly's idea sounds pretty good, or even krc's, if you have only a digital camera, give them the pics burnt onto cd with a description of them on the CD.... Are you wanting to get into other homes for money reasons? Are you charging them a fee? I'm just curious because theres been a fair bit of advice about 'getting your foot in the door', are you all charging fee's or somthing? or just wanting to get in private homes for the experience? Today a freind told me that she has seen 'people' in her house, on her stairs, its not an old house, i have a feeling they are there for her..her daughter see's them too, although strangely enough, i havent even felt anything there...I'll be sure to take a camera there somtime see if i get anything...

Simmy :D

#13 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:27 PM

Simmy, first of all let me say that I sure hope that nobody is trying to charge for investigating the paranormal. People that do are usually frauds and cheats and you should run the other way quickly. My group will never charge for an investigation, that would be unprofessional. The best way to get your foot in the door is establish a good reputation by being professional.

If your friends house is haunted (and the only way to tell is with an investigation), it doesn't matter if the house is very old or if it is brand new. Sometimes the ground is haunted that it is built on. Sometimes it is due to an object in the home or it surrounds a certain family member. There are many factors to consider. Also, make sure that you stay away from digitals for evidence collection. I know not everyone shares the opinion but hard evidence is by far the best. Also, it gives the homeowner something tangible that they can look at and share.

#14 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:01 AM

I would never ever take money from anyone for this. Nope, never, no way. Not the reason I'm there. Promise.
In the case of the scrapbook, it is for a family that really loves & lives well their ghosts. The photos were really cool so something warm and nice just seemed fitting.
IF it were a case of someone who had asked me to check out a ghost that was not so nice, I would give them photo/evp disc findings in something that could be closed, (organized) folder that could slide into manila envelope and kept put away.
I am more afraid of upsetting someone who has a serious mean haunt more than anything. Hoping I am prepared if that ever happends.
BUT I am also looking into learning about home inspection from a construction aspect. we all know things that go bump in the night can be caused by the house itself, not the ghosts. May take a home inspection class.

Yes, this all costs $$$. But I love the ghosties. Also know how scary it is to have & to live in a house that has scary things. Would have been great if someone could have explained to me maybe what my haunt was, why it was there, and tell me how I could help it pass or protect myself from it.

#15 ncghosthunter

ncghosthunter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:06 PM

Our group doesn't do a scrapbook per se. I found at Walmart platic type folders that have a place for a biz card in front, a cd in back and 2 pocket folders in between. We place their copies of the permission forms, copies of our findings, and anything else pertinent to that location (graphs, etc). And a copy of a CD that has any photos and evps.

However, we haven't investigated a place that has any real documentation yet, so am still working out the minor logistics of if we got some hardcore pics and/or evps, how best to present them. But these plastic folders are clean and professional looking, won't damage easily, has space for all the important stuff, and is inexpensive ($1.35 I believe it was). And since there is a spine, you can either write or use stick on paper to write the date and location of the investigation for your own records (another words, make a duplicate folder for yourself).

I agree though - it's very professional to present your clients with your findings and gives them something for their records.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users