star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

When I am doing anything online... after I close out I have a
"click ok to download here"

A down load I did not want, I X it out.

Ad-Aware finds at least 200 critical objects and that is in only a short period of being online.

When I check into these , there are all different names , but when checking into the critical list all say "Bargain Buddy" so I know they all originated from there.

My PC was hijacked once and after reading some on this "freeloader" a lot of them say besides being a Trojan , there could be hijacking along with it.

When I am doing something online a slideouts come in saying "an unknown script has been detected"....and ask to block or allow full access...

I have been blocking and even though the scripts do not say Bargain Buddy...when I check into these , that name is behind it.

I don't know how to get to the bottom of this because I don't know what to type in to block the main name where all this is comming from.

Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Starla

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:32 PM

when you are on the internet, this is the risk that you take. Now, blocking out stuff using a firewall could be useful, but not even one firewall can block out everything. So I would say - we live with it. Learned the hard way.
Posted Image

#3 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:46 PM

I respectfully disagree. Spyware can be removed by many means. My favorite two are Spybot Search & Destroy and SpySweeper. Both available for free at www.download.com.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#4 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:48 PM

A quick google for bargain buddy turned up quite a few pages of instructions. The one I liked the best was PC Hell's Bargain Buddy Removal Instructions and Help.

That page is specific to Bargain Buddy. Below are some general instructions for spyware removal:

Download and install the latest virus definitions for your antivirus and spyware ellimination program. Next turn off "System Restore". System Restore monitors everything in your system folders - including any malware that may have installed itself. Now unplug your internet. You want to work completely offline while you get rid of trojans and worms.

Reboot into "Safe Mode" (press F8 when Windows starts up). Open up "Control Panel" and uninstall any software you don't recognize. Spyware sometimes piggy-backs on some useful utilities (ex My Web Search comes bundled with the Weather Bug). After manually cleaning up what you know about, run a complete system scan using your antivirus. Either clean-up or delete any infected file. Next, run your spyware detector - again scan the whole system.

Once you're satisfied that your system's clean, turn on "System Restore", plug your internet back in, then reboot in "Normal" mode.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:48 PM

yup, they can be removed, but they cant be successfully restricted from being installed yet again....and again.....and again....and again...and again!
Posted Image

#6 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:26 PM

Thank you & will try!

Starla :D

#7 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

yup, they can be removed, but they cant be successfully restricted from being installed yet again....and again.....and again....and again...and again!

SpySweeper stops even sites from being bookmarked or your start page being changed, so I'm sure it would stop other stuff. Besides, generally if you pay attention to what you downloada and where you download from, you should be in good shape.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#8 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

Yea I agree ...any program that stops your homepage from being changed makes it harder for hackers and hijackers...Once they get control of your homepage settings , they have "real" control !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users