186 replies to this topic

#181 Phantom8

Phantom8

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

You guys!

I've read 'all' your posts and you've given me one hell of a much needed lift!

I haven't laughed this much in ages!

My dad met James Randi and got on well with him (still didn't get the million though) lol

:headbang:

Phantom8

Edited by Phantom8, 09 December 2005 - 02:19 PM.

#182 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:03 PM

Those bunch of people - as often - are know-it-all's! hahahahaha They wouldn't even believe they live breathing air!
Posted Image

#183 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

Must admit I think it's funny to see a person who's so poor, yet claims to be able to predict lottery numbers.

Yes, the JREF skeptics are rude and sarcastic, but what do you expect when people keep approaching with fantastic tales of their deeds, despite reality showing the opposite?

That supernaturalbeing just keeps exclaiming how fantastic he is, though never owes up to his promises. Never addresses people's points, just keeps rampling on about his super powers. Doesn't anyone else get annoyed by it? Do you really have to be skeptical to be annoyed by such people?

So yes, the JREF crowd behaviur is very rude, but the sarcasm is well-deserved, for instance:

And can you explain how this would be noticeably different from, for example, a moron with a video camera filming clouds dissipating by themselves?

I could film the sun going down and say "I did that". Filming natural process occurring and then claiming some involvement is a bit of a weird hobby.
But it won't ever win you a million dollars.
Or friends.

Yes, it is very rude indeed, but it's also spot on.

Ah, well, but at least supernaturalbeing owns a car that was once driven by Jack Nicholson in "The evening star". Come on!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#184 Nightwing

Nightwing

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:33 PM

The thing is..the "life expectancy" of a cloud is generaly only a few minutes anyway(of course, may very by size and atmospheric conditions). Try this(I have). Go outside on a day where the typical big puffy cumulous clouds are floating over. Pick ANY of them. DON'T concentrate on "busting" it..just look at it. If you pick an isolated cloud, you will notice that over the course of several minutes THAT cloud almost always either disperses totally, or breaks up. Now...pick another cloud of the same general size, and concentrate on busting it..
Keep track of how long it takes BOTH clouds to either dissipate or break up. Do this several dozen times.
You will find that after doing this several times, there is no real statistical difference in the time it takes for the "busted" one and the "free range" ones to dissipate. JMO, of course, but I just don't think there's anything to this.
And just to folks don't think I'm closed minded..I chase bigfoot around in my spare time:-D

Edited by Nightwing, 09 December 2005 - 07:35 PM.

There are stranger things in Heaven and Earth......

#185 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

Peter, et al,

I have lost respect for you! It took an abominably long time for you to find this thread. It's been dead for months.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#186 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:37 AM

Walk into the lion's den wearing a suit made out of raw meat, you're gonna' get mauled.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#187 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

Well, you can eat all of the meat you want on this one. As some of you may recall, this is the thread that gave birth to the Skeptics vs. Believers thread, which is/was exhausting enough. All that I got out of it was that there were two sets of believers posting, and neither set was ever going to be converted by discussion.

I am lucky to live in the Northwest where there are no clouds, just cloudbanks. I'd be willing to try a nude raindance if I thought that it would break up the grey, but no dice.

There must be a Parthian in my fanily tree, because I can't resist the parting shot. I have been researching alternate energy forms and how and where they occur, accumulate and are deformed. The reading suggests that if cloudbusting works it needs to be done on a very clear day, with vertically oriented cululous clouds, and in an area remote from large cities, (50 miles), and large, high voltage powerlines, (5 miles), and as close to a forest as is practical. If anyone wants to discuss this, contact me on a personal message, as I am done with this thread. Markway
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users