Cryptozoological creatures -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

i forgot all about thunderbird. the jersey devil too! i think its high time they make an actually good jersey devil movie.

Not to mention a good one about your fave, Chupacabra. That X-Files episode was good, but that's a critter who has potential for a feature film.

Axman - glad you mentioned Mothman. He's right behind the melonheads for me. One of these days Camevil and I are going to head down to that part of Ohio/West VA where those sightings took place.

NE Ohio is supposed to have a Nessie type monster living in Lake Erie, too. It's called South Bay Bessie. We also have a variant name for Bigfoot - The Grassman.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#17 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

How about the Loveland Frog? I forgot about that guy!

Click me for more cool monsters!!!

Don't forget the infamous Batboy!!!!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#18 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:25 PM

There's a post on the general board about something called "spiderman"

I don't know if I can in good conscience accept Batboy into the company of these more respectable monsters, though. I don't think anyone outside of the staff at The Weekly World News has ever reported a sighting, and the WWN is pretty upfront that they're a total fabrication. Not that I don't love the little guy, mind you. He's certainly photogenic.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#19 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

There's a post on the general board about something called "spiderman"

I don't know if I can in good conscience accept Batboy into the company of these more respectable monsters, though. I don't think anyone outside of the staff at The Weekly World News has ever reported a sighting, and the WWN is pretty upfront that they're a total fabrication. Not that I don't love the little guy, mind you. He's certainly photogenic.

That's the beauty of it all!!!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#20 reticent1

reticent1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Am a single mom and registered nurse. I have a deep passion for music - any and all kinds. Play piano and write music, too. I enjoy pretty much all forms of art. Reading keeps me thinking, and writing poetry keeps me sane. Obviously, i'm interested in the paranormal, but am especially interested in the photographic aspect of paranormal research.

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:35 AM

Here's a page with a brief description of some local legendary creatures, including the famous Fouke monster aka: "The Legend of Boggy Creek". This would most likely fit under the 'skunk ape' genre.

There's even a sketch of the creatures... Welcome to my neck of the woods.

I know it says Texas, but this these are Arkansas creatures! :lol:

http://www.texasbigf...com/arkleg.html
Posted ImagePosted ImageA closed mouth gathers no feet.

#21 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:10 AM

Predator is reportedly based on the chupacabra stories (gotta dig up that link again).

When I was in Brazil, the locals had all sorts of theories about that mystical beast. He was accused of being everything from an alien to a goverrment project gone awry to Cain to the great Satan himself. That was the only time I saw mass hysteria.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#22 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

Bob,

I saw the link and can't wait to see it. So is this Lake Erie lake monster stictly limited to the OH side, might make it worth the trip to Erie some time.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#23 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:36 AM

I LOVE NESSIE!!!!!!
Posted Image

#24 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:49 AM

Hmmm...I heard about the Lake Erie monster when I was 16. We happened to be crossing Lake Erie on the ferry from Canada to the US (my dad thought it would be fun, I ended up with motion sickness), and one of the ferry boat crew told it to me and my brother. He had mentioned that the creature stinks....and guess what? So did the Lake at that time...pollution and what have you. And since it was pretty choppy that particular day, the smell was pretty bad as it was. I'd never been so glad to reach land as I was then....lol

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#25 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:30 PM

Cleveland's bodies of water do indeed have a distinctive aroma. We are the city whose river caught on fire, after all (and BAD_WORD proud of it!). I really don't know many details about South Bay Bessie, so not sure if it leaves our neck of the woods or not.

#26 Zodiac

Zodiac

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:DDR, Snakes & The Super Natural

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:17 PM

My favorite has been & always will be the Jersey Devil.

#27 jamiehall

jamiehall

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:44 PM

Anyway, my favorite cryptozoological creatures are...The Melonheads. I first heard the Melonheads story when I was working as a telemarketer in Chagrin Falls. One of my co-workers was an older lady who was a real hoot, and she had lots of stories about the history of the area. One of those stories was about the melonheads. What are melonheads? Well, as she described them, they were just short humanoid creatures with really large heads. They would come out at night and sort of just run around, but didn't seem particularly harmful. Her version of the story placed them over by Squire's Castle, another supposedly haunted NE Ohio landmark.

Later I came across other versions of the melonhead story. Most actually place them in Chardon in the woods surrounding Wisner Road. The descriptions of the melonheads range from the almost sympathetic version I was first told to a variation where they are savage cannibals who hunt and kill in packs. Other than the physical description, every other detail about the melonheads is in dispute.

Interestingly, a couple other locations outside of Ohio have melonhead tales of their own. And creatures that bear more than a passing resemblance to the melonheads can be found in the 'It's Alive' films of the seventies. More interesting than 'It's Alive', though, is a Japanese horror film called 'Horror Hotline: Big Head Monster'. I don't know much of the background behind this film, but it seems to be based on a local legend very similar to our melonheads.

There is a South American critter that sounds something like the Melonheads. It is called Gourd Head. If my memory serves me right, I think I've heard about quite a number of small humanoids with big, rounded heads.

-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!

#28 Hauntress

Hauntress

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:19 PM

Living here in Oregon, we hear alot about the Bigfoot & Sasquatch sightings that seem to be common in certain areas of Oregon & Washington.
Sightings appear to be seasonal, which I find interesting- that would mean that the creature would appear nomadic.

I have to say that Bigfoot is my favorite Crypto-Kritter, although the Dover Demon sightings really had me scared to look into the branches of trees for a while...

Yellow or red-eyed Graveyard dogs, also considered Black Dogs, are also of a big interest to me as I've seen a couple of them, and I'm not sure what the deal is with that. However, I did not feel threatened by either encounter. The one time I saw the Graveyard Dog I was very young & walking along with my friend's family of Spanish descent. They told me in Spanish & English just to ignore it, that it was a "Devil Dog" and it would just go away. It followed us along for a while before it did bound away and I didn't see it again.

What amazes me about this encounter, is the fact that the family was very nonchalant about the appearance of the "Devil Dog." Culturally, its appearance wasn't to be feared, but ignored. I remember it had yellow eyes and I've never forgotten that. The other one I encountered had a magenta tint in its eyes and wasn't all black, but more of a mottled coat. I actually talked to that one, and he eventually turned from me and went to who knows where.

WEIRD STUFF MAYNARD :unsure:

#29 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

[quote name='jamiehall' date='Mar 18 2005, 02:44 PM'][quote]
There is a South American critter that sounds something like the Melonheads. It is called Gourd Head. If my memory serves me right, I think I've heard about quite a number of small humanoids with big, rounded heads.

-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania![/quote]
Thanks for the info, Jamie. I read the description on your site, and they do have a lot of similarities both physically and in the varying accounts of their behavior.

#30 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:05 PM

You consider me the young apprentice
Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes

Scylla is one of my favs ( I love sea monsters )

Next came Charybdis, who swallows the sea in a whirlpool, then spits it up again. Avoiding this we skirted the cliff where Scylla exacts her toll. Each of her six slavering maws grabbed a sailor and wolfed him down.

Sting was a teacher . Can you tell ?

I love Greek mythology and the Police . Wow I'll bet I could never do that again on purpose. Use Police and Greek Mythology in the same sentence.

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users