Cryptozoological creatures -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

I would have never thought you could use Police and Greek Mythology in the same sentence!

<bows before Rockhauler>

My favourite critter has got to be the Jersey Devil. And the Chupacabra. Both. Love em BOTH!

Although personally I am of the mind that the Jersey Devil isn't a physical creature, but rather a spirit of some kind that can manifest itself in a physical form, given that it was supposedly born 200 years ago.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#32 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:Um, Harry Potter if you couldn't guess. And a good ghost story on the side! lol

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:02 PM

How about Banshees you people????? :D

The bean-sidhe (woman of the fairy may be an ancestral spirit appointed to forewarn members of certain ancient Irish families of their time of death. According to tradition, the banshee can only cry for five major Irish families: the O'Neills, the O'Briens, the O'Connors, the O'Gradys and the Kavanaghs. Intermarriage has since extended this select list.

Whatever her origins, the banshee chiefly appears in one of three guises: a young woman, a stately matron or a raddled old hag. These represent the triple aspects of the Celtic goddess of war and death, namely Badhbh, Macha and Mor-Rioghain.) She usually wears either a grey, hooded cloak or the winding sheet or grave robe of the unshriven dead. She may also appear as a washer-woman, and is seen apparently washing the blood stained clothes of those who are about to die. In this guise she is known as the bean-nighe (washing woman).

Although not always seen, her mourning call is heard, usually at night when someone is about to die. In 1437, King James I of Scotland was approached by an Irish seeress or banshee who foretold his murder at the instigation of the Earl of Atholl. This is an example of the banshee in human form. There are records of several human banshees or prophetesses attending the great houses of Ireland and the courts of local Irish kings. In some parts of Leinster, she is referred to as the bean chaointe (keening woman) whose wail can be so piercing that it shatters glass. In Kerry, the keen is experienced as a "low, pleasant singing"; in Tyrone as "the sound of two boards being struck together"; and on Rathlin Island as "a thin, screeching sound somewhere between the wail of a woman and the moan of an owl".

The banshee may also appear in a variety of other forms, such as that of a hooded crow, stoat, hare and weasel - animals associated in Ireland with witchcraft.

http://www.irelandse...er/banshee.html

Edited to say: opps . . . I hope Banshee could be considered a creature!! lmao . . . :blink: :unsure: :)
Aura: Crimson . . . the hot sexy beasts of GV!THE BANANA SAY'S, "Don't peel me, I want to live!"Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:Um, Harry Potter if you couldn't guess. And a good ghost story on the side! lol

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

And what kind of Harry Potter fan would I be if I didn't mentiion the basilisk :o

The basilisk has garnered a place in the imagination with other monstrous beings like the dragon, unicorn, giants and other well-known fabulous beats. The basilisk is almost always included in encyclopedias or concordances of monsters and mythical beasts, even though there is very little in the way of art and literature throughout the ages that features the basilisk. The dragon, though, for example, features into so many stories, both ancient and modern, and has been depicted countless times, but the same cannot be said of the basilisk. Yet somehow the creature has prevailed and lived on in the collective imagination as an image of monstrosity.
There are two terms, both having their roots in Greek mythology, that apply to the basilisk. The evolution of the basilisk is protean, and the creature eventually becomes chimerical. It is fitting that these attributes of the basilisk come from the ancient Greek world as the etymology of the word ‘basilisk,’ and the origins of the creature are rooted in ancient Greece. . .

read more here http://webhome.idire...ml/Basilisk.htm

:)
Aura: Crimson . . . the hot sexy beasts of GV!THE BANANA SAY'S, "Don't peel me, I want to live!"Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:53 AM

when my SIL died in 2000 her one nephew heard something screaming in the valley between his house and hers. He originally thought it was a neighbors peacock being harrassed by the wild dog/coyote pack that runs but it wasn't and he couldn't find any wild animals when he went to investigate, instead he ended up following the amublance down the road to his aunt's where my SIL had just died of a heart attack. Banshee or coincidence, my married name is Cunningham.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#35 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:55 AM

I wouldn't place the Banshee under Cryptzoological creatures myself, since she's a spirit.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#36 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:13 PM

I wouldn't place the Banshee under Cryptzoological creatures myself, since she's a spirit.

well excuse me . . . I wasn't really thinking when I posted . . . but I will be happy to delete it . . . but I don't thinks it's a big deal myself . . . it was just a 'ah oh' on my part . . . :D

#37 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

Nothing to get upset about. Nor was I attempting to make you look bad. No need to delete it either.

All I did was make an observation. I'm not 100% certain what I would class the Banshee under, be it a ghostly encounter or folklore/legend, but based upon the definition of cryptzoological creatures, she doesn't fit.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#38 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:32 PM

I'm torn between The Jersey Devil or Spring Heeled Jack as well as hairy illusive creatures such as The Yowie, Yeren, Almasti, Yeti and Bigfoot. There isnt a time while making a pilgrimage through the woods that I dont think about Bigfoot :ph34r:
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#39 Ginevra Weasley

Ginevra Weasley

Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:32 PM

Nothing to get upset about. Nor was I attempting to make you look bad. No need to delete it either.

All I did was make an observation. I'm not 100% certain what I would class the Banshee under, be it a ghostly encounter or folklore/legend, but based upon the definition of cryptzoological creatures, she doesn't fit.

oh . . . I"m not upset hun, I didn't mean for that to sound rude . . . I guess sometimes that happens without one realizing it . . . :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users