Battle of Antietam

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cryptkeeperva

cryptkeeperva

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Have over twenty plus years experience in the paranormal investigation field. I do not claim to be an expert as there is no such creature in paranormal investigations.<br><br>It does not matter how long you have been doing it, you will always be learning something new. I know as I said I have twenty plus years and yet I learn something new every day.<br><br>I have my own investigation team founded by me on August 20 2002. I love the paranormal and will help anyone in any way I can. All you have to do is ask.

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:34 PM

Battle of Antietam

The battle here near Sharpsburg, Maryland occurred on September 17, 1862. It involved the forces of General Lee, C.S.A. and General George McClellan, U.S.A.

General Lee was very confident of victory over the Union. So he decided to take the war into the north. So he moved his troops into Sharpsburg on September 4, 1862.

But along the way a mishap happened that cost Lee dearly. Along the march, a copy of Lee's field orders were lost. Who should find but the Union forces. They found them wrapped around cigars.

The orders were then given to General McClellan. In doing this McClellan knew every move the Confederate troops would make. This event became known as the "The Lost Order."

McClellan, it is not known why, did not act on these orders quickly enough. The actual battle commenced at 5 am on the morning of September 17. The battle became fierce. Due to the fact of McClellan not acting on General Lee's orders that were found, gave Lee's troops an advantage.

Lee's troops and actually the center of his line was at a place called, "Bloody Lane". This was in fact a sunken road, this road provided the defending Confederates an advantage. This was attempted to be taken numerous times by the Union but they could not do it as it was a natural bunker.

But the Union gained a position that enabled them to fire down on the sunken road. This was disatrous for the Confederates as the road was no longer a defensive position but a death trap. The Confederate dead were piled up on the sunken road two and three bodies deep.

The battle ended in a virtual stalemate. But Lee could claim a tactical victory as all of his lines held and none of them broke.

Many visitors to the area have reported hauntings on this battlefield. There have been reports of the feeling of dread on the battlefield. But many others have reported hearing ghostly shouts and whispers. They have told of hearing the clashing of metal.

The most famous report is that of the Irish Brigade. The Irish Brigade attacked the Confederate position at Bloody Lane. Out of their 1000 men, 540 of them fell. It is reported that many have heard their famous battle cry at Antietam. Their battle cry is that of " Faugh-a-Balaugh". Which is Gaelic for "Clear they Way".

The other most haunted place is Burnside Bridge. This bridge was held by General Ambrose Burnside of the Union Army. The Confederates could not take this bridge and many died as did Union Soldiers. Many of the dead from both sides where buried where they fell, around the bridge.

Reports have come in that at night you can hear phantom drumming adn strange blue balls of light

Then there is the apparition of the woman of the Phillip Pry House. Reports state you can hear footsteps on the staircase. This house was the headquarters of General McClellan during the Battle of Antietam.

Then there is the ghost of the Piper House. No one knows who this is. But strangely after the fighting ended here, three soldiers were found dead under the piano in the parlor.

It is also said that St. Paul Episcopal Church, is haunted. The Confederates used this as their field hospital during the battle. Reports have stated that you can hear the screams of pain of the wounded and of the dying. There are even reports of the sighting of strange lights in the Church's tower.

Hope you enjoy!!!!

Crypt
Posted Image

#2 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:45 PM

Another great story. You are the MAN Cryptkeeper!!!
You got anything from Shiloh? I know that was the western theater, but I thought I'd ask.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#3 cryptkeeperva

cryptkeeperva

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Have over twenty plus years experience in the paranormal investigation field. I do not claim to be an expert as there is no such creature in paranormal investigations.<br><br>It does not matter how long you have been doing it, you will always be learning something new. I know as I said I have twenty plus years and yet I learn something new every day.<br><br>I have my own investigation team founded by me on August 20 2002. I love the paranormal and will help anyone in any way I can. All you have to do is ask.

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:49 PM

Duke,

Have not heard any reports of ghostly activity coming out of Shiloh. But if you know of some please pass them on. As I would love to hear them.

Crypt
Posted Image

#4 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:17 PM

I don't have any yet, but if I find some, I'll definetly let you know.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

#5 civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:making my crafts,love anything that has to do with american history.but mostly civil war.love to read ghost books.go to civil war battlefields.those are haunted to.so i get the history with the ghosts.

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:52 AM

my hubby and i are going to sharpsburg this summer.i know of bloody lane and burnsides bridge.i m
hoping to go there and see anything ghostly related.i dont have anything other than a 35 mm camera.
i was thinking of getting a digital recorder to see if i can hear anything.but not sure on that.since i m
sure those cost alot..hope to see some....... :clap:

been interested in ghosts.but mostly the civilwar ghosts.since i think they died for what they believed in.
when sliding down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...an irish blessing.......may those that love us, love us, as for those that dont love us, may God turn their hearts.and if God cant turn their hearts, may God turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limp.

#6 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:39 AM

Can't wait to here about your trip. I hope to make to Sharpsburg myself. But first I must return to Gettysburg.

#7 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

my history teacher told us about that in 8th grade. "fa ah ba la" creepy!!
Love life.

#8 civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:making my crafts,love anything that has to do with american history.but mostly civil war.love to read ghost books.go to civil war battlefields.those are haunted to.so i get the history with the ghosts.

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

ah yes the irish bridgade.im sorry if i cant spell right.working longer hours.and my brain is fried.good thing i sit down all day.or as my mom said now that i work in a factory i will get a big butt.i laugh. :wow:
when sliding down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...an irish blessing.......may those that love us, love us, as for those that dont love us, may God turn their hearts.and if God cant turn their hearts, may God turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limp.

#9 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

my hubby and i are going to sharpsburg this summer.i know of bloody lane and burnsides bridge.i m
hoping to go there and see anything ghostly related.i dont have anything other than a 35 mm camera.
i was thinking of getting a digital recorder to see if i can hear anything.but not sure on that.since i m
sure those cost alot..hope to see some....... :wow:

been interested in ghosts.but mostly the civilwar ghosts.since i think they died for what they believed in.

Dont forget the Mumma Cemetary across from the cornfield . Its very active based on both my compasses as well as my EMS detector. I have gotten a few EVP and some interesting photos there. It sits at a right angle between the Cornfield and Bloody lane.

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#10 Helix

Helix

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

I live in Hagerstown, MD...I go to Antietam very often. I have been to Bull Run and to Gettysburg, but there is just something about antietam....a certain melancholy feeling you get while there that is just not as overwhelming at the other major battlefields. I have taken alot of photo's, but sadly i really haven't captured anything to speak of...an orb here or there but that could be light refraction on the lens....I am not a pure skeptic, but i do have a logical mind and dont believe everyshadow is a spirit.

I hope to get permission to do a dawn tour....before the park opens but about the time the batlle actually started...I know the bloody cornfield, and I know the bloody lane....one thing i have not done that another ghost hunter suggested....I have not vocally said "hello soldiers, can I take your picture?"....perhaps it's worth a shot.

To the naysayer or unconvinced I can only say this....I have been to alot of battlefields, but none carry the emotional weight....an overwhelming sense of sadness...that Antietam does. Visit it, tour it....if you have an ounce of sensitivity in you, you will feel it.

This is our history, our heritage....thousands of men died on these hallowed grounds so that our country may be what it is today....revere theme, respect them...but above all else, never forget them.

#11 allege

allege

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

Antietam is one of my favorite battlefields to visit. I have been there 4 times now, and can't wait to go back again.

I have had a few encounters at Antietam.

A few years ago I was there, walking down the sunken road (aka bloody lane) I suddenly got intensely sick (I was feeling fine before and after I left the road I felt fine again) I figured this was most likely the empath side of me picking up on things. I walked to the top of one of the hills, by the fence at the sunken road and was about to take a picture across the field when something I never saw what hit my leg with enough force to knock to move my leg. It left a huge ugly mark on me leg.

Another time at Antietam, it might have been this same trip, I don't remember. I visited the Otto house. It is one of my favorite places on the battlefield. At the time they hadn't even begun to work on the path that takes you into the back yard of the house so I had to park down the road and walk up to the house. I hadn't made it even half way up the steps that lead up from the road when I felt and mentally saw women standing on the front porch of the house. She was very leery of me and on the verge of being hostile. I Barely was able to look around the yard before her energy became so strong that I had to leave and go back to the car. Nothing showed in the few pictures I was able to take. The next year I went back and I guess the spirit of the "Blue lady" remembered me, as she let me on the porch of the house, and let me wander the property for an hour. Nothing came out in those photos either sadly.

Now as for ghosts at Shiloh I have never experienced any but I have only been to the battlefield once and that was during this past reenactment.

BUt I have heard a few stories from Shiloh.

One is that Bloody Pond is has a habit of turning blood red from time to time, but this could be explained by any number of scientific ways if someone would be able to study it.
Some claim to hear the sounds of battle from time to time.
Never to suffer would never to have been blessed. -Edgar Allan Poe

#12 JRSlater

JRSlater

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

Living only about 30 minutes from Antietam, I get to visit it more than my wife likes me to. I try to got at least four times a year, basically on holidays when my wife has to work and I'm free. :clap:

There is just something about the place I'm drawn to. I had no idea there was activity there, that would explain why I am drawn to certain parts of the battlefield, Mumma Cemetary, Bloody Lane, Burnside Bridge... and a couple other spots. I was able to capture a photo that makes an interesting conversation starter. I'll have to dig it up and share it here.

Jeff

#13 natvisncr

natvisncr

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

I live in Hagerstown, MD...I go to Antietam very often. I have been to Bull Run and to Gettysburg, but there is just something about antietam....a certain melancholy feeling you get while there that is just not as overwhelming at the other major battlefields. I have taken alot of photo's, but sadly i really haven't captured anything to speak of...an orb here or there but that could be light refraction on the lens....I am not a pure skeptic, but i do have a logical mind and dont believe everyshadow is a spirit.

I hope to get permission to do a dawn tour....before the park opens but about the time the batlle actually started...I know the bloody cornfield, and I know the bloody lane....one thing i have not done that another ghost hunter suggested....I have not vocally said "hello soldiers, can I take your picture?"....perhaps it's worth a shot.

To the naysayer or unconvinced I can only say this....I have been to alot of battlefields, but none carry the emotional weight....an overwhelming sense of sadness...that Antietam does. Visit it, tour it....if you have an ounce of sensitivity in you, you will feel it.

This is our history, our heritage....thousands of men died on these hallowed grounds so that our country may be what it is today....revere theme, respect them...but above all else, never forget them.

#14 natvisncr

natvisncr

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hello, I a new member I live only 15 minutes from Antietam and am very familiar with it I too find it a sad place and it is on my list to visit soon to take some pictures. I have recently discovered I have the ability to take numerous spirit picutures. I have known all my life I am physic and have on many occasions knew what would happen and to whom. I grew up a half a block from a graveyard and played in there as a child. I have never felt ill at ease in one but very atune with the surroundings. I recently made a trip to Gettysburg and took some amazing pictures I have three of soldiers in uniform very visible and numerous others that I'm still trying to sort out. I have never been a picture taker but all of the sudden felt the need to purchase a good camera and take pictures. Now I know the reason I seem to be able to capture spirits on film and so I have started going on the weekends to different places to take some shots. I never see anything until it is developed but so far the places I feel I need to go have been correct. Antietam is on my list. I only go in the daytime am am hesitant to go at night besides I can't get anyone to go with me after they see my pictures. I could use some advice I need a new photo editing program mine is not the best for this work and I have alot worth printing if I could find a photo program that could help me print my pictures at their best. That is without altering them get a good print. sometimes I just have a feeling about a spot or a place and it isn't always an obvious place where you would think spirits would be so just go with your instincts and they will come to you it seems some of them like to have their pictures taken.

daytripper

#15 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:07 AM

I Yahoo-ed Bloody Lane and read accounts of the battle after hearing of it in this thread. It's a very tragic and very deliciously engrossing read. I'll read up more about it for sure.
I saw some of the pics they took of the bodies piled on the lane. omG! What a tragedy.

Edited by axlfoley, 14 November 2008 - 05:08 AM.

Whatever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users