Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

The cover of dark

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:04 PM

My three sons and myself moved in with my childhood sweetheart,now my wife, in 1998. We weren't familiar with the area, and still have only a superficial knowledge of the area's history.

My Wife's house is located in a suburban area on the outskirts of Seattle. Just a very few years back the area was all crappy farmland with no view, but now it's very exclusive, being just close enough to Seattle for a decent commute, but far enough out that you feel like you moved somewhere. The roads are still the original farmroads; very narrow, built in the 1890's and paved in the 1920's.

When my two oldest, (mirror image identical twins), reached 16 they turned out for track, and started running. The roads are too busy to run on during the day, but at night they are almost deserted.

They began to run down our road in the least developed direction, but not together; they always fight. One at a time they both stopped running that way because of some bad experiences, and eventually compared notes with other runners in the area. All had had similar experiences. While running down one long stretch of road they began to hear another runner running close behind them. One man said that he could "feel his breath". My son said that he felt a tap onhis shoulder and pulled over to let him pass. Another was struck with "Something" the size of a grapefruit. All reported the breathing and being struck with oneor more objects. In case I haven't mentioned it, there was no other runner to be seen.

There was another spot closer to our house that was also nasty. I have walked at night and during the day and never felt the urge to linger. It is close to a crossroad with a streetlight but the area itself is dark and threatening. Several times I have gotten through the dark spot and into the lit are at the intersection only to see a wolf or coyote sitting under the streetlight. One night one of my son's while running, had braved the "Phantom Jogger", but upon approaching the intersection, noticed that the area which is usually so dark was lit up witha glowing green mist! He was naturally reluctant to run through it, and so waited. Eventually a late night traveler in his car drove through it and the glow dissipated.

My youngest son Grant, who asked me to include his name, went for a nighttime walk. We had heard the story of the Green Light and were curious. When we got to the dark spot there was no green light, of course, but we went on with our walk. As we entered the dark area it became distinctly darker, MUCH darker, it was as if a big blanket was being drawn over our heads. I thought," an airplane, a cloud a..",, looking up the sky was perfectly, PERFECTLY clear. We could see cold crisp stars, a bright moon, etc., but the area that we were in was maybe 40% darker.

We walked faster, and upon reaching the corner, there was the coyote/wolf beneath the light pole.

This experience is unlike anything I have experienced or heard of. The Phantom Jogger is easily explained in supernatural terms; someone is hit and killed by a car while running, and continues his run, maybe even discourageing others for their own safety, but I have never even heard of anything like the darkness my son and I walked through. We neither walk nor ride that way at night these days, and I hope that new building will disrupt whatever is going on there. :ph34r:
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#2 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:39 PM

I was hoping for some help on this one. I suspect a gate/portal area. My oldest stepson, ( not the most reliable person, but not an idiot either ) reported seeing a Sasquatch/bigfoot about 5 minutes walk from this location. I have no experience with gateway areas, but suspect that this might be one. The darkening could be energy being removed from the area.

This story wasn't the latest spook story designed to creep you out of your socks, but a request for feed back. Has anyone encountered something similar?
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#3 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:07 PM

Don't take this post the wrong way - I'm just trying to come up with some mundane explanations.

Is there a traffic signal or other light that could have caused the green glow?

I've seen small curtains of fog while traveling mountain roads. There's a sheet of cloud-like material, but it's clear inside. At night, I guess this would block some of the city light polution while allowing one to star gaze.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#4 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:37 PM

Nah, no lights like that, just a mercury vapor light on a pole abour 50 yds away. Until they started building houses, this country was all woods. In the last six months a new development has gone up on one side of the area in question, and I hope that will end the problem.

Truthfully, the green glow wasn't as scary as the dark thing. We were right in the middle of it when it happened. Imagine yourself on a country road at night, walking mind you, and having half of the light being sucked away. It made me think of cold spots in hauntings. Some ghost hunters believe that an entity or other supernatural phenomena is draining energy from the environment for some purpose.

Whatever the cause, I don't even drive that way any more. It would be too weird to drive home some night and discover that my wife's now a red head, and I have two extra children, and the nameplate on the neighbor's car reads FOARD PICKUPPE. ;)
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

Well, since you say it is an "old" area, I assume it could be like a place where the "other" side is more active.
Posted Image

#6 poisonette

poisonette

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

I can't explain the green glow or the wolf/coyote/dog being near the street light unless it's a neighboor's pet and a coincidence. As for the dark patch, I'd be looking for anything that could cast a shadow on that spot. Something between there and the streetlight, moonlight, etc., whatever casts its light in the area to begin with, like a tree or sign. If not, I'd try to snap some pictures of the spot on film or on a digital with a decent pixel rating.

The runners caught my attention on this story. It would be interesting to find out if shortly after the breathing is heard and hit or tap felt that a car comes by the runners. Then I would definatly say to me that the runner is there as a warning to others. If not, I'd just say he/she might want to offer companionship on a what sounds like a dark, lonely road. Maybe the runner just loved running in life.
~Ari~

#7 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

What bothered me about this experience was that I could find no "logical" explanation for the darkness. I am an analytical man. I believe in the existence of the paranormal, but I don't just jump to that alternative. My son and I both really looked for an alternative, but could find none. It just sort of swooped over us like someone pulling a big blanket over us. I thought at first that a really large, low and thick cloud had blown over, but we looked up and it was very very clear, with a full moon.

That goofy canine is a coyote, at least I am as sure as I can be without watching it run. I'm a country boy, and those coyotes are a kind of epidemic in rural Washington, but they usually steer clear of people. They eat cats and garbage & small dogs, but they don't like to be seen. What keeps crossing my mind are the stories of black dogs at the crossroads in folklore. In Britain, domestic animals seek out ancient stone standing stones, again, often placed at crossroads.

I don't know whether I mentioned the disappearance of a little girl at the spot. I moved in here after it happened, and the police don't like to advertise details, but she was last seen nearby, and her backpack was found there in the bushes. Again, I don't know if they found the body or not, but it's one more thing.

Other oddities have been reported, and what I'm struggling with is the possibility of there being a portal area nearby. It just sounds too weird.
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#8 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:47 AM

Very creepy. I think you have it right about the jogger. s/he jogged on that road and either enjoyed it os much that s/he returns to it to jog, or was hit there by a car and shows up either as a warning of a car or just to keep an eye on the other joggers.

I do feel as if there are portals because there are so many unexplained disappearances wheren there is never any body or evidence for a disappearance. But I don't have any valid arguments to prove they exist. I don't think you are paranoid for avoiding this area. Wolves and coyotes might have some significance in Native American culture...you are correct about the black dogs and crossroads and there are other animals that have folklore in the supernatural. I would look into Native American cultures in your area and see if any of the tribes have a folklore/superstition that deals with coyotes and wolves. Even though society generally looks upon these canines as bad because they are predatory they do have good sttributes as well, it all depends on who you ask. And I believe that most N.American cultures revere these animals to the point of almost dietizing them (giving them god-like qualities). Considering that they show up in the glow of the lamplight I would consider this a good omen rather than if they lurked in the shadows. Also, do they seem threatening? Growling, hackles and ears raised up, standing in a defensive or threatening posture? If not I would consider them good...maybe protectors.

The blackness could very well be fog, there can be pockets of fog that show up randomly especially in swampy, marshy or lowland areas. But I think you would have detected fog because it would be white or gray at the least. The green glow could be swamp gas (a natural occurrence) and again appears in swampy, marshy and lowland areas. But it would be moving and not a perfect shape so if it is perfectly round or not moving like a vapor or gas then I doubt it would be swamp gas.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#9 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:44 PM

I ruled out the fog and cloud stuff. The road is on a slope, and there were no clouds that night of the dark. Let me think. Some nights I have seen mist on that road, but there are no swamps. My son saw the green light, not me. The night of the dark was almost weird in it's clarity. It was one of those nights when you can almost see the craters on the moon. The moon was SO bright, that at the intersections I could see the colour of my little boy's sneakers. The first thing that I did was to look up and check for a cloud, but no such thing. I was genuinely frightened. I could only think/feel that something was building.

The coyotes were not threatening which was a little weird. Each time there was only one sitting thre under the light. I'd never seen a dog or a wild animal act like that. It spooked me a little, maybe because I was already creeped out, but also because of the dog at the crossroads thing, and the unusual behavior.

I read a book called "Timestorms", and it left me with the question: " If I moved into a nearly identical universe, how would I ever know?" :ph34r:
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#10 angel_of_mercy

angel_of_mercy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Theater, art, anime/manga, music, and Wicca

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:27 AM

Hmm...That's very strange...My boyfriend and I experiened a smaller black spot one night. (We're both very in tune with the spiritual relms and what not) We were driving down the road towards my house, some time close to midnight, when I saw what looked like a figure standing in the middle of an intersection. I felt 'hands' holding my head from behind me, and got very dizzy. (the best way i can explain it. This always happens to me when I come in contact with spiritual entities) After a minute or so, the feeling subsided and I happened to glance out the window behind the drivers' seat. It was completely black. I couldn't see out of it, but I could clearly see out of all of the other windows. My boyfriend leaned forward in the drivers seat and gave the rear view mirror a funny look. He explained that the mirror was completely blacked out when he went to check for cars behind us.

The only explaination I can think of for these roaming black/dark areas are spiritual entities. (Perhaps in your/your sons' case, many entities) I remember a post on here having to do with a woman seeing a 'wolf' in her house...i'll see if I can give you the link.

Blessed Be!

#11 angel_of_mercy

angel_of_mercy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Theater, art, anime/manga, music, and Wicca

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:38 AM

Here's the link I told you about:
http://www.ghostvill...y...ic=5239&hl=

I hope this helps a smidge. :weeee:

#12 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

Interesting about the entities. I've been coming closer and closer to the conclusion that most of the paranormal activity we see, feel, and hear is powered by the same source.

Thusly, if a "gate" or an entity manifests itself the power comes from the same source, the surrounding environment. The energy used may not be one we're presently using for "practical" devices though.

I think that when the room goes dark, or the lightbulbs burst, whatever, I'm clearing out. :huh:
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#13 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:41 AM

As advised I came over and read through this post properly- I've been put off by the length in the past because I'm lazy, but I'm killing time here.

I'd reckon you should look into the history of the area, if there are any old families that have lived there for years, try and get friendly with them- they may have many tales to tell. I know that can be a bit awkward and you may feel like you're using them, so if you don't feel comfortable doing that you could try looking through old papers for something about a runner being knocked down in the area.

And yes, I am struck by the similarities between these happening and certain black dog aparitions. As such, to discern what kind I'd want to make sure nothing bad happened after any of these sightings... you didn't go home and find you'd had a phone call telling you someone had died or anything? The coyote didn't attack you? What exactly did it do? did it move when it saw you? or just keep looking?
Along with the rest of what you say I'd say that there's a ley line along there- but I only talk about ley lines or lines of power when I'm talking abot black dog apparitions and I'm not to sure what else they entail. But the explanation for Black Dogs goes; there are certain lines of power across the country, and at times power accumulates in certain areas - if people happen to walk by at the time the see or sense this. Being unable to properly interpret what we're sensing we attribute it with a form we can understand- traditionally a black dog or wolf. There have neen some stories- the school teacher story comes to mind, but can't remember where I got it from (it may be in the post on Black Dogs that Ice posted, but I've not read that site in over a year) His story goes that he was walking home past some cross roads where a criminal had recently been hung ?for killing and robbing an old lady? and he saw a large ball of fire which turned into a black dog.

This could also fit in with your phantom jogger, those running along the road sense something, and guess someone must be running with them..

And I pretty much believe, or entertain your thoughts on paranormal- only generally in a less formulated sense.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#14 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:52 AM

:o Thanks for the careful response. I have become increasingly interested in liminal areas or "gateways" where realities seem to become mutually permeable. This is why I put on another huge post under something silly like "Visitors From Dimension X" in Folklore.

I have read too much of this stuff. What is really creepy is that the more you dig the more connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena. For example. I didn't want to seem a total crank, but my oldest son, who lives with his mother, my first wife, who uncomfortably moved 1/4 mile from my house, claims to have seen a Sasquatch/Bigfoot about 100 meters from the intersection in question and headed in that direction. And, hey!, we don't exactly live in the little house in the big woods. He was probably on drugs, but if I make that assumption, how do I seperate myself from other knee-jerk scoffers?

You did make me think. That coyote seemed to be guarding the crossroads, and watching whatever came from that place which turned black. I have thought to ask the people whose house backs up to that weird area, but it occurred to me that perhaps something that they were doing was causing the strange effects. I did learn that there have been at least 50 fatalities upon that 1/2 kilometer stretch of road over the last 10 years. :ph34r:
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#15 Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:13 PM

Hi gang, I'm new to the board here.

Markway and I are long time buddies and he has told me these accounts of his "strange spot" many times. He has even taken me to it but of course the paranormal events did not occur for my convenience, I can only give it the weight of the assessment I have of the veracity of my friend. I give a higher weight of credibility to Markway than I do to his kids accounts but I don't dismiss it entirely. This type of experience is damnable in that one never has the equipment handy to test things that one would like. For instance, in regards to the sudden reduction of illumination:

1. If we had an illumination meter handy would it have detected an actual decrease in illumination?

2. Would someone outside the edge of the area observe the decrease in front of them?

3. If time was running more quickly inside of the area then fewer photons per unit time would be perceived as a drop in illumination. In this case we would need a watch to detect the time before the event and after and compare it with someone standing outside the area the whole time. Good luck trying to do that!

4. Was the effect purely physical i.e. a strong electromagnetic field affecting ones optic nerves directly and impeding the flow of information to the brain and causing a perception of darkness?

Alas we will probably never get an answer to any of these questions unless we can find a mystery spot that is sufficiently reliable to go conduct tests on. Always more questions than answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users