• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:30 PM

This is one of the most fascinating (and frightening) legends circulating on the internet lately:

Camel Spiders in Iraq!

Posted Image

They eat human flesh!
They can run over 25mph!
They screech!

Or...so they say. As it turns it, this information is untrue.

But, I don't care. The picture is enough for me!
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#2 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:48 PM

My son was in Iraq and did see these spiders. He said they were HUGE!! They were told not to go near them and to shoot them.. I dont know how dangerous they really are but well if they were told to shoot them I would think they were somewhat dangerous.
Who knows I just know I would not want to see them in my room!!!
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#3 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

EWWWWWWW!!! I'm not scared much of bugs (except red ants those suckers HURT when they bite! I got a scar on my thumb still from when I was two) but that thing is SCARY!!
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:25 PM

Oh Gods.

Oh Gods

Oh Gods.......

Sorry, will not be looking into this thread again. I'm an arachnophobic (did I spell that right? No matter, won't be looking back in to find out)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:19 AM

:ph34r: oh good heavens why did imy curiousity get the better of me for this one!!!! :ph34r:
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#6 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:55 AM

I dont know how dangerous they really are but well if they were told to shoot them I would think they were somewhat dangerous.
Who knows I just know I would not want to see them in my room!!!

O.K., Cathy, the fact that your son is given orders to shoot a spider....to SHOOT a spider....says a lot!

*shudders*
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#7 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:43 AM

The only thing I wanna see that is furry and the size of a dinner plate is a cat...a friend had sent me that a while back and it still makes my skin crawl *pardon the pun* :ph34r:
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#8 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:17 AM

they're cute!! B)

#9 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:35 AM

Them's good eatin'! A little butter and garlic, and you're good to go.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#10 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:09 AM

Now, I did hear that this was a myth, but Cathy, if your son did see them......yuck! Well, maybe they are attractive to another camel spider.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#11 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:29 PM

Oh my. Why did you post this Camevil? Shudders! According to Snopes:

Camel spiders grow to be moderately large (about a 5" leg span), but nowhere near as large as dinner plates;

Uh, pardon me, but a 5" leg span is more than enough to send me running.

they can move very quickly in comparison to other arthropods (a top speed of maybe 10 MPH), but nothing close 25 MPH;

Um, I can't even run 10 miles per hour.

Camel spiders rely on speed, stealth, and the (non-venomous) bite of powerful jaws to feed on small prey such as other arthropods (e.g., scorpions, crickets, pillbugs), lizards, and possibly mice or birds.

Yikes. :huh:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#12 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

Here is some good info on the little guys - I actually felt better after I read this - the picture scared the daylights out of me the first time I saw it.

http://www.snopes.co...camelspider.asp
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:37 PM

Well, that is only a HOAX.

camEl spiders? or camIl spider which one is more evil? :o j/k
Posted Image

#14 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:47 PM

Well, that is only a HOAX.

camEl spiders? or camIl spider which one is more evil? :o j/k

Actually, it's not quite a hoax. There is such an insect, and the picture Camille posted is of one of them. The stories spread about the critter are where the hoax comes in. As Bridget kindly pointed out, the real spider is a bit smaller, a bit slower, and doesn't include human flesh in its diet. Still not the kind of thing you want to wake up to find crawling on you.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#15 little_light

little_light

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Working Out<br />Music and Dance<br />And Being a wife and Mom!

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

Now thats a big spider! :ph34r:

Im glad to know they dont eat flesh!.....But they are still very scary looking! :unsure:
"You only get 1 shot!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users