• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:23 PM

IIRC, National Geographic did an article on these things just a few months ago...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#17 mattsin30

mattsin30

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

Camel spiders are not a Myth I have seen them with my own two eyes while in Iraq and Kuwait. They are known to kill scorpions to kill a scorpion says alot. They are nasty nasty spiders and I hate spiders. We used an incinidary grenade to kill one. Did I say that they run fast too. Oh and did I say that I hate and I mean hate spiders. I hate them ever since Basic Training when I got bit by a brown reclouse while sleeping. A little below my right knee I had a welt about the size of a softball. In the training part I was in you when talking to a drill sergeant you had to say Your roster #. So it went something like this. Drill sergeant roster number 239 requesting permission to speak. Drill sergeant !!denied!!. Do pusups you. Me 50 pushups letaer decide its not that important. The next day while on a run I usually run very good. The drill sergeant noticed my limp. So he says you whats wrong I said my leg drill sergeant I tried telling you yesterday. So he takes me to the hospital and a week later I get out of the hospital that really sucked.

#18 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

I feel for ya Matt!
I was bit by a black widow on the face, that was fun!
Then years later a brown recluse, I had never been so sick in my life! It was on my back end too, sucks when you can't see what the heck is on your backside. It comes back every year too. I have to have it cut out....sheeesh!
I believe in the camel spider, I've heard of them too.
Leslie
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#19 mattsin30

mattsin30

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

I feel for ya Matt!
I was bit by a black widow on the face, that was fun!
Then years later a brown recluse, I had never been so sick in my life! It was on my back end too, sucks when you can't see what the heck is on your backside. It comes back every year too. I have to have it cut out....sheeesh!
I believe in the camel spider, I've heard of them too.
Leslie

OUCHERS

#20 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

Whoops! Thank you for that information Mat! Must be scary, eh?

Edited by MoonChild, 03 April 2006 - 12:29 AM.

Posted Image

#21 mattsin30

mattsin30

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

Whoops! Thank you for that information Mat! Must be scary, eh?

YEAH BY THE WAY DID I SAY I HATE SPIDERS? LOL :Spaz:

#22 little_light

little_light

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Working Out<br />Music and Dance<br />And Being a wife and Mom!

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

Ewwww....Shudder........ :clap: Get back nasty creatures!
"You only get 1 shot!"

#23 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

The first entry in this thread has a link that dispels some of the myths about the camel spider. What I found most intriguing is that there are over 900 species of Camel Spider, with 50 of them being found in the SW USA.

That just adds fire to the fuel that "Everything is big in Texas" :clap:
Posted Image

#24 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

I'm lucky I was never bitten by a spider like some of you have. It sounds awful and some of them are really venomous. They usually get squashed with a book before they can ever get near me. Or, the kitties get them.

I hate spiders, too. My ex used to have a bird-eating Tarantula (which are said to also get to dinner plate size). I hated it and was deathly afraid of it getting to my Marilyn (parrot) when it was left out of its cage (yeah, it just HAD to go for "walks"). One night, I was sleeping and woke up to a commotion. I asked my ex what was up and he said the spider broke out of its cage and was missing. *laughs* Great, I though, and took extra sleeping pills and some brandy that night only after Priscilla (the tarantula) was back safely in her cage. I think I used an entire roll of duct tape on the lid. He had a scorpion, too. Nasty little things. Fortunately, when the ex went, so did the creepy crawlies. I made sure they got good homes, but wanted nothing to do with them.

But, I've never seen anything like these camel spiders. They look more like a scorpion than a spider and I think one of the links mentioned they are more in line with scorpions than spiders? Man-oh-man, I highly doubt my trusty copy of 'Misfortune's Daughters' would be enough to squash those things. :ghost:

Viv

#25 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hmm...I've been bitten three times by black widows( survived all three w/o medical attention, BTW. Healthy adults rarely succumb, in fact, unless they have an allergic sensitivity. Not counseling anyone to NOT go to the docs for it, but it's nothing to panic over, either), and personally, I feel that this helps me to face them with the respect due a powerful natural force rather than the fear of some unknown horror. I actually find arachnids in general quite beautiful and fascinating---though I do, of course, prefer them on the other side of a glass terrarium for the safety of both parties!
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#26 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

Even if the rumors are not true, that is still a good size arachnid. I'd probably jump back a few feet if I saw one.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#27 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

looks like something right out of a horror movie! :clap:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

:(

#29 rat girl

rat girl

Iron Strangler that feasts on beer!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:my interests are reading, anything on the paranormal - checking out other peoples ghost photos and watching horror movie, reading anything by Richard Laymon, i like photoshop and other photograph program's. I live in Scotland with my partner, we have a mini zoo in our house. At the moment we have 4 rats, unfortunately 8 of our ratties have passed away, we also have 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a corn snake, a bearded dragon and 2 degus!!

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

looks like something right out of a horror movie! :wow:

Posted Image

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!

i really hate spiders - they give me the shivers, i cant even look at a picture of one [ i had to scroll down quicky so i didnt see this one].

i never used to be scared of spiders until one night when i was 14 i was in bed and woke up to find something tickling my face, so i sat up and put the light on that was next to my bed - and right in front of me was a big brown spider hanging from my hair - it had made a web in my hair!!!!

AAHHHHH!!!! im getting shivers thinking about it - IM OUTA HERE!!!!! ;) :) :) :(
Posted Image

#30 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

Oh dear, RatGirl - that's just awful. I can't imagine waking up to that.

That actually reminds me of the urban legend about women with bouffant hairdos in the 1950's/60's - that a nest of black widows (or, various other insects) would hatch in her hair and bite her scalp, killing her.

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 12 April 2006 - 02:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users