Camel Spiders!!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

:lol: those mofos are bufugly!!!! Heck if I saw one of them suckers in my room, half the town'd hear me screamin'!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#32 DarkPrincess

DarkPrincess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Actually...A little bit of everything...I really love posting on GV and I enjoy the chat a lot also. Everyone has been just great! <br />If you have Yahoo or MSN ask me for ID :) feel free to PM me too.

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

I'm just glad they are over in Iraq and not around here!
Posted Image

#33 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

Well, Im not really afraid of spiders...but these send a chill up my spine. Now I am really worried about my uncle over there!

#34 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

I'm just glad they are over in Iraq and not around here!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however, they are found in the USA.

Go to this page: Here and you will find pictures of some that have been found in Nevada, California, Montana, Texas, and Arizona.
Posted Image

#35 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Philosophy, Jungian Psychology, Forteana, My Partner &amp; Kids, My Blog, Chocolate, Movies, Reading, Nature, Walking,<br />Meditation &amp; Hatha Yoga.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:53 AM

Sit back and relax whilst I relate two tales of horrific arachnoid antics:

My Step Father was a mechanic in Saudi Arabia with the RAF.
He woke up one morning to find his bedsheets covered in blood & discovered that a huge chunk of flesh was missing from his left calf.

Fearing that the culprit, whatever it was, was still at large in his room, he grabbed his boot & went searching for it.

He found a camel spider the size of a grapefruit, engorged on his flesh, behind a cabinet.

Needless to say it didn't live long & prosper.

My next tale may not be as horrific to those of you used to nasty bugs wherever you live, but here in the UK we have successfully exterminated most things that cause us harm and up until last summer I was led to believe that no spider in the UK had jaws powerful enough to penetrate human skin.

Not quite true, as Mrs Eamcat found out.

She was getting dressed & pulled on her knickers & jeans. She felt two sharp pains in her left buttock & pulled off her clothes as fast as she could.

To her horror she saw a small black, shiny spider crawl out of her jeans across the floor.
Yours truly grabbed a glass & caught it.

She had been bitten twice & they were swelling up alarmingly quickly - I took her to the hospital where they injected her with anti-hystamine to take the swelling down & put her on antibiotics.

It turns out, after a bit of Googling, that she had been bitten by a False Widow spider.
These little darlings came over from the Canary Islands, it's thought and were first discovered in 1875 in Torbay - but have adapted so well to our climate in the UK that they now span the entire south coast of England.

Here's a picture of one:

Posted Image

Very pretty, but they have a bite equivalent to a hornet's sting.

Little buggers.

#36 Must_See_To_Believe

Must_See_To_Believe

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Well, suffice it to say I'm very interested in the paranormal. Although I've never let myself become actively involved. Yeah, I'm chicken. I was very sensitive and probably still am. I once helped a sweet old man named Henry cross over. I saw his bedroom. He was standing beside his bed. Or rather his spirit was. His body was still in bed with his wife. I was suddenly standing beside him. I told him she would be alright. Suddenly he and I both were standing beneath a big beautiful tree on a hill surrounded by the greenest grass and the bluest sky I've ever seen. I've had a few more encounters like that. I considered it a gift from God. But it just came to be too much for me and I prayed that God would pass me by with this gift. I haven't had an &quot;episode&quot; since. <br /><br />Other than that, I read a lot. Sew, Quilt, Cook... spend my days and nights with two wonderful little girls and one awesome man !!!!

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

Whoa!!! And I'm supposed to sleep tonight after seeing that !!! I think not !!!

My hubby is active duty Air Force and has spent lots of time in the desert... he hasn't mentioned seeing one of this critters and I've never asked; nor will I. I can't even say the word and it is forbidden in my house... (you know .. the "s" word). I was never bothered by them until I got bit while pregnant with my first daughter. Now even the tiniest one freaks me out... I'd just dropped if I saw this or the one Mr Eamcat (so kindly) showed us.

Sorry.. but like the others... this is my first and only visit to this thread.... and if I could make this not bump... I would...

MSTB

Posted Image

#37 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:11 PM

She was getting dressed & pulled on her knickers & jeans. She felt two sharp pains in her left buttock & pulled off her clothes as fast as she could.

To her horror she saw a small black, shiny spider crawl out of her jeans across the floor.
Yours truly grabbed a glass & caught it.

She had been bitten twice & they were swelling up alarmingly quickly - I took her to the hospital where they injected her with anti-hystamine to take the swelling down & put her on antibiotics.

It turns out, after a bit of Googling, that she had been bitten by a False Widow spider.
These little darlings came over from the Canary Islands, it's thought and were first discovered in 1875 in Torbay - but have adapted so well to our climate in the UK that they now span the entire south coast of England.

Here's a picture of one:

Posted Image

Very pretty, but they have a bite equivalent to a hornet's sting.

Little buggers.

Ah! I saw one of those in my storage shed yesterday and was wondering what it was! I've no fear of spiders, as I've mentioned before, but I'll make certain not to annoy this one!

Edited by Yosei, 15 June 2006 - 12:12 PM.

"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#38 SGT Miles

SGT Miles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Horror flicks, Video Games, Snow Boarding, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that we all know is coming ;). Disproving or proving claims of paranormal activity is my true passion though, I love shuffling through pictures of dust balls that &quot;prove&quot; a place is haunted before spending the night listening to the water pipes bang against the floor boards when it kicks on...but the one thing I love more is finding something I have absolutely no earthly explanation for.

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

I have a horrible habbit of reviving old posts, but I just wanted to point out that yes these disgusting little monsters are real, the first pic is of two of them dangling together because one is biting the other, they may not eat human flesh but their bite really hurts and gets pretty danged infected pretty fast, They will "chase" chase you because they like to use your shadow as shade so if you move they will follow to get back in your shadow, they do make a horrible screeching sound that kinda sounds like a dying baby, and they make me scream like a 3 year old with a splinter. Also I planned on shooting the first one I saw but it was too fast for me to hit with the pistol, not really fast but because of the erratic and smooth way it moves it seems to be moving really fast....Bleh..I am such an arachnophobic , well scorpions don't bug(pun intended) me so maybe just a spiderphobic?

#39 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

That's not a horrible habit . . . it's good to recycle. But oh my goodness those are some nasty looking creatures - eek!! Amazed you aren't bothered by scorpions, but that's probably a good thing if there are a bunch over there!

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#40 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

*Shudders* Frag, those suckers creep me out!!! I'm not too bad with the nicer spideys, like wall spiders or Daddy Long Leggers, but any worse than that, fughdaboutit!!! And if I saw a camel spider... I'd either be screaming, running the heck outta dodge, or both.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#41 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Flying, Guitar, Robots, Paranormal

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Die Spider Die!
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.(Proverbs 18:2)http://www.ghostphysics.blogspot.com./

#42 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

:hug: I mean c'mon. In Asia, we have some spiders and other critters that'll really creep you out. Camel spiders do look gross though.

Whatever

#43 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

They are not true spiders.

""Solifugae is an order of Arachnida, containing more than 1,000 described species in about 140 genera. The name derives from Latin, and means those that flee from the sun. The order is also known by the names Solpugida, Solpugides, Solpugae, Galeodea and Mycetophorae. Their common names include camel spider, wind scorpion, jerrymuglum, sun scorpion and sun spider. In southern Africa they are known by a host of names including red romans, haarskeerders and baardskeerders, the latter two relating to the belief they use their formidable jaws to clip hair from humans and animals to line their subterranean nests.[1]

Solifugae are not true spiders, which are from a different order, Araneae. Like scorpions and harvestmen, they belong to a distinct arachnid order. Solifugae are considered to be endemic indicators of desert biomes.[2]:1"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#44 SGT Miles

SGT Miles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Horror flicks, Video Games, Snow Boarding, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that we all know is coming ;). Disproving or proving claims of paranormal activity is my true passion though, I love shuffling through pictures of dust balls that &quot;prove&quot; a place is haunted before spending the night listening to the water pipes bang against the floor boards when it kicks on...but the one thing I love more is finding something I have absolutely no earthly explanation for.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

<---knew they aren't really spiders but cares not...they still suck and still make me wanna jump into traffic to get away from them.

#45 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

Yikes! I hate just the little "creepy crawlies"... If I saw one of those, I really have no idea what I'd do... And for some reason that little voice in my head is telling me I wouldn't be able to kill one by running it over with the w/c.
Love life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users