28 replies to this topic

#1 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

???

Does anyone know what the connection between mirrors and the supernatural is?  I have a really hard time looking into a mirror after dark.  I won't even have one in my bedroom.  If I stay in a hotel and there is a mirror, I cover it up.

I recently read that mirrors could be used to see spirits. . . but I have been "afraid" of mirrors since I was a kid.

Any ideas?
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:35 PM

SnoopyMom, am moving this to the general board, since you need the supernatural explanation ;D
Posted Image

#3 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:16 AM

Your fear probably stems from the ol' Bloody Mary threat...
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#4 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:10 AM

There are so many superstitions concerning mirrors - A few of them are:

It is bad luck to see your reflection in a mirror by candlelight.

If there is a mirror in a room where a person is dying, the mirror must be covered so that it does not trap the person's soul.

The mirror is the reflection of the soul...Any damage done to the mirror, shatters the soul as well.

I don't put a whole lot of stock in superstitions, though!

I don't know why you have such a fear of mirrors,snoopymom, but it's interesting. Maybe you could ask an older relative if you ever had an instance when you were young that may remain with you now in your subconscious.

I use a mirror when doing a reading - I place it on the table between the querent and myself, and lay the cards directly on it. Maybe it's just a quirk of mine, but I believe it reflects any negativity that may enter the reading -
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#5 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:13 AM

That is very interesting Holly.  I never knew all that.  I really don't believe that it stems from the bloody mary legend though.  By time I learned that legend, I was already avoiding mirrors.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#6 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:26 AM

Snoopymom I have the same problem as well. I always felt that inside a mirror is another world. The energy and the features of a mirror somewhat scares me. I mean I love looking in the mirror but for some odd reason I feel that the person that I am staring at is not really me.

Meanwhile after looking into a mirror I get the sudden erg to not look back for the rest of the day. I remember when I was younger someone told me that a mirror is the inside to hell.

Strange...

Hunny
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#7 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:28 AM

I agree with your thoughts about the Bloody Mary legend. I couldn't see you ever 'playing that game' as a child if you already had a fear inside you.

You know, in alot of movies, the hero/heroine often sees their attacker coming up behind them while they are looking into a mirror...Maybe you saw a film like that as a youngster and it stayed with you? Cause I think that's one of the scariest things...to glance into a mirror and see someone suddenly behind you. The only thing that could make it worse would be if it was a clown. :)
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#8 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:32 AM

I thought one of the scariest mirror scenes was from the movie Delores Claiborne, where her daughter looks in the mirror and sees the back of her head, EEK! Scary.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#9 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:22 AM

When I'm bored, sometimes I'll wonder about a mirror. Note that I have only two in my living space; one in my bedroom and one in the bathroom. Sometimes I wonder if it's really a portal to another world and wonder if the stuff in my bedroom's reflection is the stuff I have in my room. For all anyone knows, there's nothing there. Sometimes I get freaked out and wonder if someone's going to sneak up behind me, then turn around and see nobody there, or if the mirror is a portal and WE'RE the ones in an alternate dimension. That's a favorite.

#10 little_light

little_light

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Working Out<br />Music and Dance<br />And Being a wife and Mom!

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:00 AM

Mirrors do seem to have a very weird feeling about them...Being scared of them I would see maybe something happened when you were a child..

Have any of you seen those mirror house's at the fair's or carnival's?
Man...Those thing's spook me out...The ones that change your shape? Your face looks all crazy..they can make you short..fat..skinny..tall? They are very scary!
Mirrors show's everything from a backwards view..Its as if your looking into the real world from someone else's view!
Sometimes I will stare at myself and pull on my face as if Im wearing a mask..(not hard)..Just like Im studying who is in this body....Crazy Hugh?
"You only get 1 shot!"

#11 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:17 PM

I have a friend who is afraid of mirrors, too...she covers them up at hotels and everything...
I don't really know much about mirrors...but they can be used for divination...
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

#12 phyre

phyre

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

It makes sense that if you look into a mirror every day for years or a lifetime that some of your energy would be attached to that object. I have encountered a few haunted mirrors in my time and I am currently dealing with one right now!

I recently was given an antique double sided vanity mirror with a victorian dressed ghost of a woman with brown hair attached to it. She was fairly quiet with the occassional wake up to find her staring at me in the middle of the night. I recently began dating someone of the same gender and I guess her prudish ghostie self doesnt like that because she has made her presence well known and even attacked my girlfriend in my bed! She and that mirror are in my shed till I can find a nice home for her. any one want it?

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:02 PM

Hi PHYRE, Welcome to GV and enjoy the stay with us! nice avatar! ;D
Posted Image

#14 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:26 AM

Isn't there some religion that prohibits mirrors? Like the Amish believing photography will steal their soul, they believe the mirror will steal their soul?

#15 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:31 AM

If that's true, then how do the woman get ready in the morning? lol

Hunny
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users