167 replies to this topic

#151 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

Oh Sorry Dodie CONDOS!!! What are they thinking! it is not a place for condos. I would have liked the idea of the resturaunt but it is not a place for people to live....
Cathy
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#152 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:14 AM

That really is awful. Seems to me they wish to bury the history of mental health. Yes, it is an unpleasant one, but we have learned and advanced so very much over the last century. It truly is a shame to tear it down and put up CONDOS.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#153 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

They're CLAIMING they're going to save as much of the main building as possable. The outside of the structure is pretty sound, with some parts of the walls being 3 1/2 feet thick. The inside is in really poor shape, I do admit to that. The main building structure could be saved but doesn't fit into their plans. It really is too bad, it's a beautiful building. The fact they are making Condo's just Soooo upsets me I can't even begin to tell you. This is all about money and nothing more, the history of Mental Illness and the History of State Run Facilities means nothing to them, however it is such an important part of our past that should not be forgoten, it really is sad.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#154 Skeptic Believer

Skeptic Believer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:43 PM

When is construction due to start at Danvers?

#155 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:51 AM

I don't think there's been an actual date set yet but if I hear anything I'll kepp you posted.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#156 cassandra alisha

cassandra alisha

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:50 AM

i was there tonight for the first time. it was beautiful, and yet so very sad. i cant believe they are tearing it down.

there were still some props left over from the movie... so strange.

#157 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:31 AM

Isn't it such an awsome experianse to be in that place. Very dangerous but something you'll never forget. Did you experiance anything unusual? If so post it, I'de like to hear about it.

Dodie

#158 pamipoo

pamipoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:17 AM

[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=red]
Dodi,
I have not read about the sale of DSAA. I read the Salem News always I dont believe I missed that. I have been in 3 times I live across the street form that beautiful old place I want to get married on the grounds I am right now tring to contact. Mr. Hobart to see if maybe I can do that. Do you remember which date you read about the sale I would love to have a copy of this in which you speak if you have the date please please let me know. Thank you so much
Also I hope to chat with you more.

Isn't it such an awsome experianse to be in that place. Very dangerous but something you'll never forget. Did you experiance anything unusual? If so post it, I'de like to hear about it.

Dodie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#159 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

:ghost: Well the cranes have moved in from what I've heard, however, it is still being faught. They want as much of it saved as possable. My (X) in laws live in condo's across the street from there. I still can't believe they want to make condo's out of it. For anyone who missed it they just arressted 3 guys up there "armed with video cameras" I just love the way they stated it. This all happen last week.

#160 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

:wave: OK, the three "ghost hunters" that were arrested got fined. They were after all 'armed with video camera's" Just thought I'de let you know. ;)

#161 mikeb12653

mikeb12653

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I lived in Danvers, MA from 1959 until 1977. I know live in Lynn. My house in Danvers was in the nieghborhood where a lot of the women that were convicted of being witches in 1692 lived. Such people such as Rebecca Nurse, Sarah Putnam, and many others. This part of town is know for its hauntings for many years. A lot of people think the witch trial happenings were in Salem, but Danvers was knon as Salem Village during that crazy time in our history. So if you want to see the real area of the witch trials you have to travel to Danvers, not Salem, MA.<br /> I also attended school at the Essex Agricultural &amp; Techniccal Institude, an agricultural high school &amp; college. This school is located right down the street from the Danvers State Hospital. An area noted for it's hauntings since it was closed.<br /> I still enjoy going back to the old neighborhood and looking for hauntings &amp; sightings as time alows. (which isn't much). <br /> I'm always looking for people to talk &quot;hauntings&quot; with and taking people to the area I grew up in.

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:56 PM

I grew up in Danvers from 1959 to 1980. I still live in the area (Lynn, MA), I had many friends that worked at the Danvers State Hospital before it was closed. I also went to school right down the road from the hospital at the Essex Aricultural & Technical Institute on Maple Street in Danvers. Both for 4 years of high school & two years of college. Growing up in Danvers and going to the hospital to put on Christmas variety shows to the patients was a real trip in the late 60's early 70's. Just visiting the hospital to pick up or drop of friends that worked there was very creepy. I wouldn't be surprised that the place is haunted from all the "goings on" that happened there over the years it was operational. So many patients were treated as lab experiments when the Dr's didn't really understand mental illness and tried to "cure" it. I believe the place is being watched by a security company and is almost imposible to get up to unless you know the way as I do (VBG). I don''t think you can actually drive right up to the hospital in a car and if you leave your car anywhere near the place to walk to it you'd tip off the security police or Danvers Police that your in the area, so be VERY careful if you go there.

#162 donnabhain

donnabhain

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

If you get arrested there then more than likely you're an idiot. The place is watched by security, but its more likely that you'll get picked up by the staties either when they see you or if the guards give them a call, so just stay out of sight and you'll be okay . . that means don't go run around on the roof, throw stuff around, run (people on the outside, i.e. guards, can hear you), start fires (should be pretty obvious, but its not if you read the papers here), walk around with flashlights at night or anything else that even a low paid unobservant rentacop would notice.

As far as being haunted . . I know this is a haunted website, and some people could be convinced a paperbag is haunted by the ghost of the bagboy who was killed by satanists listening to metallica on a fullmoon in the cemetery in the woods (the one nobody can find) . . but all the times i've been there i've never noticed anything strange, I guess my mind just isn't open enough to believe in things that just arent there.

As far as mental health goes and it being a 'horrible' place, there were thousands of patients and people seem to linger on a handful of urban legends while forgetting the many thousands of people who enjoyed their stay, or if not exactly enjoying it at least were helped by it before our current crop of pills to fix everything was invented. There were hundreds of caring nurses and doctors at work at Danvers and other hospitals in the past hundred years . . when will it be time to recognize them and stop mentioning them as if they were demons raping the souls of the mentally damned?

#163 mikeb12653

mikeb12653

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I lived in Danvers, MA from 1959 until 1977. I know live in Lynn. My house in Danvers was in the nieghborhood where a lot of the women that were convicted of being witches in 1692 lived. Such people such as Rebecca Nurse, Sarah Putnam, and many others. This part of town is know for its hauntings for many years. A lot of people think the witch trial happenings were in Salem, but Danvers was knon as Salem Village during that crazy time in our history. So if you want to see the real area of the witch trials you have to travel to Danvers, not Salem, MA.<br /> I also attended school at the Essex Agricultural &amp; Techniccal Institude, an agricultural high school &amp; college. This school is located right down the street from the Danvers State Hospital. An area noted for it's hauntings since it was closed.<br /> I still enjoy going back to the old neighborhood and looking for hauntings &amp; sightings as time alows. (which isn't much). <br /> I'm always looking for people to talk &quot;hauntings&quot; with and taking people to the area I grew up in.

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hi Dodi!
Just found the ghostvillage.com site from the Holloween special episode of the show "Chronicle" on Channel 5. If you want to post the pitures you took at the Danvers State Hospital, go to "Webshots.com", register and upload them there. Then all of the members interested in the Hospital & your pictures, can go to that site and see them once you tell us they're there and leave the website address so we can all view them.
There are already some pitures of the hospital at this site if you "searcg" for Danverrs State Hospital.
TTYL....
MikeB
Lynn, MA
:toilet:

#164 mikeb12653

mikeb12653

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:06 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
Dear Members:
Here is a used check from Danvers State Hospital, (year 1959),that's for sale on eBay. I thought memebers interested in this site might want to take a look at it and maybe bid on it. (NOTE: I'm not the seller.)
Have a great Veterans Day!

Mike :clap:

#165 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:14 AM

thats crazy i wish that i knew that things like that people actually buy....but i guess i really shouldnt be surprised........

as for Danvers, got to say that it looks like an interesting site to visit and i betcha you would probably get some good shots there......
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users