Singing the praises of WD-40

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:55 AM

Great Ideas For WD-40

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top. Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed!

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it an d put it in aerosol cans. The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets it's distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

Here are some of the uses:

*Protects silver from tarnishing
*Cleans and lubricates guitar string
*Gets oil spots off concrete driveways
*Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery
*Cleans refrigerator, stove and microwave handles
*Keeps flies off cows - animals
*Restores and cleans chalkboards
*Removes lipstick stains
*Removes stains from stainless steel sinks
*Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill
*Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing
*Removes tomato stains from clothing
*Keeps glass shower doors free o f water spots
*Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
*Keeps scissors working smoothly
*Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide
*Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding
mowers
*Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open
*Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close
*Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl
bumpers
*Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles
*Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
*Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy
handling
*Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly
*Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools
*Removes splattered grease on stove
*Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
*Lubricates prosthetic limbs
*Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell)
*Removes all traces of duct tape
*I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, and knees to
relieve arthritis pain.
*Florida's favorite use was "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and
bumpers
*The favorite use in the state of New York--WD-40 protects the Statue of
Liberty from the elements.

*WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be
catching the big one in no time. Also it's a lot cheaper than the chemical
attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using
some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.

*Use it for fire ant bites It takes the sting away immediately, and stops
the itch.
*WD-40 is great for removi ng crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe
with a clean rag.
*Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried
a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with
WD-40 and rewash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!

*If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture
and allow the car to start.
*WD-40, long known for its ability to remove leftover tape mung (sticky
label tape), is also a lovely perfume and air freshener! Sprayed liberally
on every hinge in the house, it leaves that distinctive clean fresh scent
for up to two days!

*Seriously though, it removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!
*Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem
to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off.
*Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

*Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#2 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

Keep in mind that when spraying around engine ignitions, it must be allowed to dry because it is flammable. The basic ingredient of WD-40 is a petroleum base similar to diesel fuel.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#3 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

I love that stuff! Over the winter, my door kept freezing after nasty ice storms. I sprayed some WD-40 on it, worked like a charm!!

Keep in mind that when spraying around engine ignitions, it must be allowed to dry because it is flammable. The basic ingredient of WD-40 is a petroleum base similar to diesel fuel.

So, Axman..when I am low on fuel, does that mean I can spray a lil bit in my tank and make it to the gas station??LMAO (My car is diesel)
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#4 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

I never knew it was capable of so many things.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#5 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

Wow - that's quite a list! We use it at work to remove old labels and stickers from telephones - amazing stuff.
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#6 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

The thing that gets me is about the fire ants!

#7 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:16 PM

Oh, and of course to keep the flies off of your cows!

#8 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:38 PM

Oh, and of course to keep the flies off of your cows!

I was wondering how to keep them pesky flies off ol' Bessie!! :P

So, Axman..when I am low on fuel, does that mean I can spray a lil bit in my tank and make it to the gas station??LMAO (My car is diesel)

Only YOU would ask that. :(
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#9 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:53 PM

Ice Goddess - wonder no more about poor ole Bessie. WD-40 to the rescue! :(

#10 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

Only YOU would ask that. 

Yeah I know. I'm a lil' bit 'off'.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#11 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:09 PM

:lol: HOORYA FOR WD-40!!! I've always known it was as versitle as duct tape :)
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#12 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

Amen to that!!
A responsible girl should always have these items in her car~Duct tape, WD~40, spare headlight (or maybe its just me lol) a jack, tire iron(can double as a weapon) and a spare tire!!

#13 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:15 PM

Amen to that!!
A responsible girl should always have these items in her car~Duct tape, WD~40, spare headlight (or maybe its just me lol) a jack, tire iron(can double as a weapon) and a spare tire!!

Dont forget the jumper cables! :)
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#14 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:18 PM

Oooh yes very important!!

#15 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:27 PM

And a Big A** MAG-LITE (can also double as a weapon)
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users