Update on the Pope

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:39 PM

From the CBC Website

http://www.cbc.ca/st...pope050201.html

Pope hospitalized with breathing difficulties
Last Updated Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:07:01 EST
CBC News

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II has been taken to hospital "as a precaution" after complications developed from a case of flu, the Vatican has confirmed.

The Pope, 84, was taken to Rome's Gemelli Hospital late Tuesday night, just three days after it was announced he had flu and was forced to cancel all of his appointments.

"The influenza which has affected the Holy Father for three days is complicated this evening with acute breathing problems ... for this reason it was decided to urgently hospitalize [the Pope]," said a statement from Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls.

Pope John Paul has been in poor health for many years, but he has seldom let that get in the way of his official duties. He regularly says mass and greets pilgrims who travel to the Vatican.

Just over two years ago, while celebrating his 25th anniversary as head of the Roman Catholic Church, the Pope told tens of thousands of people gathered in front of St. Peter's Basilica that God wanted him to continue as leader in spite of his poor health.

"He, while knowing my human fragility, encourages me to respond with faith ... and He invites me to assume the responsibilities that He himself has entrusted to me," the Pope said at the time.

Cardinal Karol Wojtyla of Krawkow, Poland, was elected pontiff by his fellow cardinals in 1978.

The Pope has Parkinson's disease, a degenerative neurological disorder. Observers have long suspected it has been the cause of his trembling hands and slurred speech.

He had a tumour removed from his intestines in 1992, has knee and hip problems and also suffers from the effects of being shot in an assassination attempt in 1981.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:46 PM

you know, no matter what you think of the faith, more people could/should look up to him because he refuses to let the problems in life sidetrack him. I think we'll have him around for a few more years.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:52 PM

After my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons and was going through a down period, I pointed out to him that the Pope also had Parkinsons (my dad is very Catholic for those who don't know), and that if the Pope could keep doing what he does every single day, then it wasn't likely that the disease could run him down. That seemed to pull him back up.

At any rate, since I myself was brought up in a Catholic household and within the tenents of the faith, no matter my own spiritual path and direction, I still view the man with high regard. That and the fact that clearly NOTHING stops him, or so it seems :) He has my own prayers and thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

I havent even watched the news today so this is the first time i'm hearing this, I admire his strength so much...my wishes and prayers are with him for a full recovery
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#5 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:16 PM

The Catholic Church, under the direction of the Pope, has done much good in this world. Pope John Paul II is a good man and I respect him despite belonging to a different faith.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

I agree with you on that Aloha. As far as I know, Pope John Paul II was different and was a man with an impact.
Posted Image

#7 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

Another article with some more information (registration may be required....it's free)

http://www.thestar.c...tacodalogin=yes

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#8 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:43 AM

I'm afraid he's on his way out. There was a mention on CNN last nite that they are treating this illness much more seriously than they have with his other illnesses.

Although I have had my issues with this Pope, he HAS done his job to the best of his ability. I feel sorry for the next appointed Pontif.

I hope the Lord will take his devoted servant home and release him from his worn-out body.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:52 AM

Some more updates:

http://www.thestar.c...tacodalogin=yes

(registration required...it's free)

ROME - Pope John Paul had a restful night after being rushed to hospital with breathing problems and the situation is now ``calm," a Vatican spokesperson said today.

The Vatican said tests show the Pope’s heart and breathing indicators are normal but he will spend a few more days in the hospital.

"I'm going home, the situation is calm," papal spokesperson Joaquin Navarro-Valls told reporters after spending about an hour at the hospital, adding the Pope had "just a little fever."

Navarro-Valls was elaborating on a terse medical bulletin issued by the Holy See.

Navarro-Valls said that as he was leaving the hospital, the pope's secretary was celebrating mass in the hospital room and that Pope John Paul was concelebrating from his bed.

More at the link above

From the CBC Website
http://www.cbc.ca/st...pope050202.html

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II will spend a few more days in hospital but his condition has stabilized after an overnight stay for respiratory problems, the Vatican said Wednesday.

The 84-year-old pontiff was rushed to Rome's Gemelli Polyclinic Tuesday when his three-day-old flu worsened.

"Today there is no reason to be alarmed," papal spokesperson Joaquin Navarro-Valls told reporters outside the hospital Wednesday, adding that the hospital admission was mainly precautionary.

He said tests showed the Pope's heart and breathing were within "normal limits."

The Pope never lost consciousness but rested for several hours during the night and required respiratory assistance therapy, said Navarro-Valls. The Pope had some breakfast Wednesday morning and was celebrating mass from his bed.

rest of story at link

From CNN (Yay! They canned the annoying Bow-Tie boy! )

http://www.cnn.com/2...alth/index.html

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II's condition stabilized Wednesday morning following overnight hospital treatment for an acute respiratory infection, a papal spokesman said.

The pope -- who was rushed to Rome's Gemelli Polyclinic around 11 p.m. Tuesday -- will remain there "a few days," according to a Vatican radio report.

After sleeping several hours, the pope ate breakfast, drank coffee and celebrated Mass with his private secretary in his hospital room, spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said.

"Today there is no reason to be alarmed," Navarro-Valls said.

Although the pope has "a little fever," medical tests conducted early Wednesday showed his heart and breathing were within "normal limits," he said.

A source close to the Vatican confirmed to CNN that the pope received a flu shot before the flu season began last fall.

rest at link

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

On our local news this morning they were interviewing a Jewish Rabbi who had the pleasure of meeting the Pope recently. He said that he had never been in the presence of another human being who just radiated an energy of love and kindness.
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#11 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:23 PM

Latest Update

http://www.cbc.ca/st...alth050205.html

Pope to deliver weekly blessing
Last Updated Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:58:47 EST
CBC News

VATICAN CITY - After spending what will be his fifth night in hospital, Pope John Paul II should be well enough by Sunday to give his traditional weekly blessing, the Vatican says.

In a statement, the Holy See said the pontiff will bless the faithful from his room at Rome's Agostino Gemelli Polyclinic hospital, but an aide would read his midday address and prayer for him.

The diocese of Rome has urged Catholics to go to St. Peter's Square on Sunday, where the Angelus, as the prayer is called, could be broadcast on a giant screen.

John Paul, 84, was admitted to hospital on Feb. 1, suffering from breathing problems brought on by the flu.

A delegation of five bishops from various Christian faiths visited John Paul II in his room at the Gemelli Hospital in Rome Saturday.

An even larger group of bishops from around the world gathered in the Roman Catholic hospital's chapel for a prayer ceremony.

Italian Bishop Vincenzo Paglia told journalists the Pope's condition is improving and he is eager to get back to work. "He's getting better and he's happy," he said.

Papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said the noon prayers are important to John Paul, "something he doesn't want to miss."

The Pope will not, however, be presiding over the Ash Wednesday prayer service in St. Peter's Basilica next week, marking the start of Lent., the Vatican says.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#12 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:51 PM

I was raised a Roman Catholic, but I don't agree with everything that my religion and the Pope teaches. I do however admire the man's fortitude. It's amazing how he keeps on going no matter what. :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#13 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:57 AM

That makes two of us Cyn. I consider myself a 'thinking Catholic'. Know what I mean?
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#14 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:13 AM

That makes two of us Cyn. I consider myself a 'thinking Catholic'. Know what I mean?

Yes, I certainly do Hawker! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#15 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,366 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

I heard today that he was talking about stepping down.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users