Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Update on the Pope

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

I'd heard that too Kats...which begs the question, shouldnt he retire? Given his health is looking up, the doctors have stated that its certain this will occur again...the church is also discussing how long they can function given his health worsened and he would have to be put on life support

As Catholics worldwide offered prayers for the recovery of Pope John Paul II this week, church scholars said the Vatican may eventually have to grapple publicly with legal and moral questions about the pontiff's potential incapacitation and efforts to keep him alive if his condition deteriorates.
Click To Enlarge
Papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls talks to journalists at the Vatican's press room, Friday, Feb. 4, 2005. Navarro-Valls said that "the state of health of the Holy Father has improved," reading from a brief Vatican medical bulletin.

"One of the great difficulties in dealing with life-sustaining treatment is that one cannot guess all the circumstances that can arise," said John Haas, president of the National Catholic Bioethics Center.

Discussion of a pope's death was once considered taboo in the Catholic Church. But given the 84-year-old pontiff's long-declining health - he suffers from Parkinson's disease and debilitating arthritis - it's now unavoidable.

http://www.omaha.com...7&u_sid=1328413
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#17 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:01 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...h.ap/index.html

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, three groups on General Authorities are called for life. The Prophet (President of the Church), The Twelve Apostles, and the First Quorum of the Seventy. The Prophet has two Counselors to aid in administration.

If / when the Prophet's health debilitates his ability to lead (as happened with President Benson), his two Counselors may act together in his stead. Once the Prophet dies, his counselors go back into the Quorum of the Twelve. The 14 (the Twelve + 2 Counselors) hold a Solemn Assembly to determine the new Prophet and President of the Church.

When one of the Seventy is no longer able to fulfil his duties, he obtains Emeritus status - he is still officially a General Authority, but in reality it's closer to retiring.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#18 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

I've always been under the impression that one is Pope until one dies.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#19 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:03 PM

I'm guessing his title will always be that of a pope but I was talking more the lines of retiring...abdicate is the official word for it, the last wholly voluntary abdication took place in 1294 by Celestine V. Ofcourse there has been more controversial abdications *which im guessing were them being forced to step down* the last one of these was in 1415
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#20 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:11 PM

the Pope can step down by choice but can not be "forced" to step down. The problem is modern life support and the moral obligation to respect life in all forms including the Popes if it ever comes to that.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#21 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

The Pope has been released from the hospital!

http://www.cnn.com/2...alth/index.html

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#22 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:14 PM

He's only 84? He looks like he's 104..... Man life must be rough for a Pope!
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#23 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

Uhhh.....tkite? The man has Parkinson's Disease (my father also has it, as does Michael J. Fox and Mohommed Ali), still suffers from the wounds from the assassination attempt in 1981, and he has a couple other health related issues. All of this was listed in the articles I posted.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#24 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:30 PM

Not to mention that the life expectancy for males is around 72-75 years. The Pope has enjoyed a very long life.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#25 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

I certainly respect the man's tenacity, but do think that the Church might fare a little better were there to be a younger, healthier man leading.

I'm thinking that Catholics (of which I am not one, so really am just speaking from supposition and overheard conversations) might relate better to someone who is more than just a figurehead.

Regardless, I wish him well.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#26 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:25 AM

http://story.news.ya...p_on_re_eu/pope

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul (news - web sites) II was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance Thursday suffering from a relapse of the flu, a fever and congestion, the Vatican (news - web sites) said, a day after the pontiff made his longest public appearance since being discharged from the clinic two weeks ago.

The 84-year-old pontiff had the same symptoms of the breathing crisis that sent him to Gemelli Polyclinic on Feb. 1, a Vatican official said on condition of anonymity.
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#27 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

Yup, I heard that on the news this morning. I have the terrible feeling that before long, the Catholics of the world will have a new spiritual leader. Not that I wish any harm to Pope John Paul II.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#28 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:01 PM

Vamp, I think you may be right-they just released that the Pope had a tracheotomy to ease his breathing....not good.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#29 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

I'm hearing that on the radio right now!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#30 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:07 PM

I heard that at work, and I too feel we'll be having a new pope soon, but he keeps on fighting so we shall see...
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users