Update on the Pope

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:27 PM

I have alot of respect for that man-he has withstood so many hardships
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#32 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:01 PM

from www.nbc30.com

VATICAN CITY -- The pope was conscious and serene after undergoing a tracheotomy to help him breathe, an aide to Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi said.
Cabinet Undersecretary Gianni Letta told reporters at Gemelli Polyclinic Hospital in Rome that he visited the pope after he awoke from the anesthesia.

A Vatican spokesman said Pope John Paul II will be spending the night in his hospital room, following the successful surgery.

Spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said the operation lasted about 30 minutes and was completed in "a positive way." Navarro-Valls said the 84-year-old pontiff had been informed of his situation and gave his approval for the procedure.

The Vatican said surgeons inserted a breathing tube through a hole in the pope's throat to help ease his breathing problems.

However, the tracheotomy could have serious consequences for the pope's abilities to carry out his duties. The operation may require a long hospital stay and keep him from being able to speak for an extended period.

And, just the anesthesia required for surgery is risky for a person of the pope's age -- especially considering that he has Parkinson's disease.

After making his longest public appearance since being hospitalized with the flu earlier this month, John Paul had to be rushed back to the hospital because of an apparent relapse. The Vatican said earlier that the pope is suffering from the same breathing ailment.

The Vatican said he's suffering a relapse of the flu as well as congestion and a fever.

The pope's hospitalization comes one day after a 30-minute address during which he wheezed and looked gaunt.

The Vatican said the pope was hospitalized for "necessary specialized assistance and further tests." The Italian news agency reported that the pontiff was conscious when he was brought into the hospital on a stretcher, and people who saw him said he looked "quite relaxed."
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#33 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:11 AM

Maybe God is putting the Pope thru some more modern lessons before he jumps off the planet. What I mean is simply that maybe the Pope needs to go thru all man-made interventions to prolong his life and realize that when humans interfer with the body it's not necessarily a good thing. That maybe everyone has the right to stop human intervention and allow their natural bodies to die. I have to ask if he didn't get that tracheotomy would he have died and after he gets it will he think differently about the measures that were taken to prolong his life?

Now if I were the Pope I think I would be thrilled to finally enter the kingdom of heaven and join my heavenly family in which I used my life to glorlify and serve.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#34 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

Either people are too reluctant to let him go or he feels that he has a few things left to finish up. That's what I personally think.

And I'd be interested to see who comes in after him. Not sure who would be elected to the Papal Throne (I admit to being totally unfamilar with who's up for the job)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#35 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:43 AM

http://www.sundayherald.com/47585

In the running instead are the following: Dionigi Tettamanzi, Archbishop of Milan; Francis Arinze of Nigeria; Claudio Hummes, Archbishop of Sao Paulo; Oscar Andres Rodriguez Maradiaga, Archbishop of Tegucigalpa in Honduras; and Angelo Scola, another Italian, the Patriarch of Venice.

Also in this article is talk of future popes having to retire at 80...must say I agree. I just cant believe how unorganized the church is with all this talk of not having a "backup" plan or replacement if he slips into a coma or when he passes away...I wish him peace from all this suffering
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#36 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:54 PM

from www.msnbc.com

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II is recovering without complications and has started therapy to improve his breathing and speaking, the Vatican said Monday, a day after the pope surprised the faithful with a brief appearance in a hospital window.

The Holy See said the 84-year-old pope has been eating regularly and spending some time sitting in an armchair. But it gave no hint of when he would leave Rome’s Gemelli Polyclinic, an indication that doctors see the need for an extended stay.

“The Holy Father’s postoperative phase is taking place without complications. His general condition and biological parameters continue to be good,” the Vatican communique said. “The Holy Father is eating regularly, spends some hours in an armchair and has begun exercises to rehabilitate breathing and phonation.”

The therapy is aimed at improving the pope’s breathing and ability to speak after last week’s surgery to insert a tube in his throat to ease his second respiratory crisis in less than a month.

The Vatican handed out the brief medical update to reporters, and papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls was not present to offer any elaboration. It said it would not issue another update until Thursday.

Marco Verzaschi, a regional health commissioner, visited the hospital and met with the pope’s medical team, including papal physician Dr. Rodolfo Proietti.

“I’m much more optimistic now, after having spoken to the doctors, than when I came,” Verzaschi said. “With the pope’s great stamina and strength, he is overcoming even this very difficult trial.”

What a strong man..

#37 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:49 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...ope1/index.html

Vatican source: Pope given last rites
Ailing pontiff suffers from high fever with urinary tract infection

Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 4:38 PM EST (2138 GMT)

VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday night as his health deteriorated, a Vatican source has told CNN.

The pope is suffering from a high fever caused by a urinary tract infection, the Vatican confirmed Thursday -- one day after revealing he had been put on a nasal feeding tube for nutrition

The pope is taking antibiotics, a Vatican spokesman said.

Joaquin Navarro-Valls said in a statement released Wednesday: "To improve his calorific intake and promote an efficient recovery of his strength, nutrition via the positioning of a nasal-gastric tube has begun."

The pope underwent a tracheotomy February 24 and still has a tube inserted in his windpipe to help his breathing.

Earlier Wednesday, the pope appeared at his studio window and blessed the thousands of faithful in St. Peter's Square.

He appeared alert during the four-minute appearance, which drew cheers from the crowd gathered beneath his window.

He raised his hand in blessing and made the sign of the cross as a Vatican official read greetings and prayers.

A microphone was raised to his face as he tried to speak, but the words were not clear.

The pope has spent a total of 28 days in two stints at Gemelli hospital in Rome in the past two months.

Nicola Cerbino, a spokesman at the hospital, said Wednesday that there was no plan to hospitalize the pope.

On Monday the pope skipped the post-Easter Angelus prayer for the first time in his 26-year papacy.

The 84-year-old pope suffers from a number of chronic illnesses, including crippling hip and knee ailments, and Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological disorder that can make breathing difficult.

Throughout his various illnesses and brushes with death, even after the assassination attempt against him in 1981, the pope always said his life was in God's hands.

CNN's Alessio Vinci contributed to this report.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#38 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

There is a correction on the sacrament that the Pope received. Early reports was Last Rites.....but my news program just now confirmed that it was the Sacrament of the Sick that he received and that he is responding well to treatment.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#39 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:46 PM

but isn't the sacrament of the sick just a nicer name for the last rites?
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#40 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:05 PM

It's actually called Extreme Unction, and it's different from Last Rites.

http://www.newadvent...then/05716a.htm

Like one of my healing spells, it's meant to give comfort and strength to an extremely ill person.

Last Rites is essentally cleansing your soul of sins because you are dying, and is administered when a person is confirmed to be dying. The Pope is only extremely ill right now.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#41 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

thanks for clarifying vampster. i've been pestering my parents about this stuff and i think they're about ready to snap. i've got msnbc on right now and they're updating whenever anything minor happens which is helpful.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#42 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:28 PM

Alsie,

Anyone can get annointing of the sick even if its just over a cold, they reserve the last rites for those who are about to die. My daughter and I have discussed it and in school they explained what happens when the pope does die, she couldn't remmber the term conclave and I think she's confused about somethings but she has the jist of it. Maybe I should bring her here and follow all of Vamp's links
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#43 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

the jist of it is about all i've got. time to hit the links!

#44 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:38 PM

:D Glad I could be of help.

Course, I've no idea just how they determine who the next Pope is....

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#45 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

i think that the cardinals elect a new pope during conclave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users