• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

I was reading somewhere that the origin of the bad luck associated with Friday the 13th came from a raid on Templar Knights by the French Kings. Anyone else ever hear this?
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#2 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:01 PM

Both the number 13 and the day of the week Friday have had varied "reputations" throughout the centuries - sometimes considered to be holy and at other times considered to be unholy. In the Western world, the superstition linking Friday the 13th with being unlucky is primarily associated with the final Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques Demolay, and the date of Friday, October the 13th, 1307 AD (Old Style - OS) In 1099 AD the Roman Catholic Church - via the now infamous bloody religious wars of the Christian Crusades - regained control over the holy city of Jerusalem. However, the lands surrounding Jerusalem were still in the hands of the Moslems. According to traditional versions of the story, a warrior order of the Roman Catholic Church eventually banded together that was (allegedly) for purposes of protecting Christian travelers on their way to the holy city of Jerusalem. The warrior order was officially recognized by the Roman Catholic Church in 1118 AD, and they were at that time provided with a headquarters building located on Mount Moriah. This building was located on a site traditionally thought to be the former Temple of King Solomon. Thus, the warrior order became known as the Knights of the Temple, or the Knights Templar.

I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#3 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

yep. you got it.

http://insightscoop....ts_templar.html

On Friday the Thirteenth of October, 1307, French royal officials arrested every Templar in the kingdom, about 2000 persons. At most these included 150 professed Knights, the others being of lower rank. Philip had secured permission for his raid from the national Inquisitor General, who happened to be his own confessor. Only belatedly did he notify Pope Clement V, a fellow Frenchman, who was shocked by the affair.

I have read this in numerous articles. When I go onto my old pc, I will send the "favorites" to this one and post the articles from there. They were extremely detailed and informative!
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#4 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:50 PM

I know how to use Google for some things, thank you. ;)
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#5 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

LOL brat I know ya do!
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#6 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:56 AM

That is very interesting. I always wondered about that date.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#7 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

It certainly was bad luck for the Templars, wasn't it?
petunia4998

#8 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:14 AM

With a Friday the 13th coming up, will anyone been taking extra precautions? Or is it just another day for you all?

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#9 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:40 AM

With a Friday the 13th coming up, will anyone been taking extra precautions? Or is it just another day for you all?

I intend to stay out of France. :)

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#10 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

I intend to stay out of France. :)

LOL me too! Otherwise I take no precautions.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#11 Marilyn Jackson

Marilyn Jackson

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

Iíve always considered Friday the 13th lucky for me.
{Shrug}
13 is my lucky number. Unless itís 13 children then itís not.

#12 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

I had an awesome day! Very positive!
Posted Image

#13 Billydew

Billydew

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Reading intelligently written books, listening to music (folk/blues/rock/'50s/'60s/'70s),art,writing poetry, vegetarian cookery, history, animals, astrology and all things mystical, countryside, some T.V., some radio, films, theatre, restaurants, art galleries and museums.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

I completely forgot what date it was on Friday, so no, it never bothers me. Anyway, at least three members of my family were born on the 13th of the month so that's hardly unlucky.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again." Thomas Paine.

#14 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

I recall seeing a story about Friday the 13th on some tv show or other a few years back. They said that the negative connotation comes from some king being beheaded on that date. Dont recall what country or what king. Thought I'd pass that along.

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

I recall seeing a story about Friday the 13th on some tv show or other a few years back. They said that the negative connotation comes from some king being beheaded on that date. Dont recall what country or what king. Thought I'd pass that along.

This might help? Good read.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users