Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Black Dogs

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:52 PM

:) Love to have members of Her Most Royal Majesty's subjects as contributors. I lust to take a book-buying tour through Britain and Ireland! One of the many important areas of study which seems to intersect many others is Megalithic-ley line phenomena. Current research of mine makes me believe that this culturestretched across the Northern Hemisphere below the edge of the last Ice-age glaciers. The Feng Shui practioneers may be the inheritors of a science which was common across most of the world at one time.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#17 chillartist

chillartist

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

Hey All, Im quite sure someone on this site has heard of it,as its in a few local+books,but i live at the base of a mountain next to meridan ct supoedly haunted by a black dog.Legend first two times seen bad luck =then third death.I have seen a bd up there but whos to say I never pushed it in my hiking days.

#18 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

Hey chillartist, welcome to GV :)

I've heard that story, read it in "Passing Strange" (there's a review of that book somewhere in the library section of the website...links up at the tippy top of the page). Funny, it didn't even cross my mind for this subject, I guess because I so often associate the Black Dog phenomena with England and Ireland.

What did the black dog that you saw look like? According to "Passing Strange" it was a small dog with curly fur, and that you couldn't hear it when it barked right next to you.

And also with that book....lol...the first time is good luck, the second time means sadness for you and the third time is death.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#19 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

I've also heard that story chillartist... though I can't remember where I read it, but deffinately online...

Wow Mike, that sight is excellent, I'm working my way through the accounts etc. deffinately favourited and I'm linking directly from my black dog page (which I'm totally rewriting currently anyway) and from my main links page...

I've had time to look around now... and from what I can tell you're right about shukr- the only mention of dogs in norse mythology are those named hunger. The viking idea seemed just a little too simple an explanation for such a varying idea that was spread so far...

Thanks

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#20 chillartist

chillartist

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

Well thanku all, It was sometime ago(1977/8) and the dog itself was id say off the trail(blue trail) a bit I dont remember it being small but it was black and silent.Which I kind of took as odd. It had to be 30 or 40 yards away at least,and we have (had ) copperheads up here so i was always looking out for things,more carefully I do remember it sort of vanished quickly.According to the legend I guess its lucky i never had a resighting.

#21 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

Heh...I don't think I'd go back to find out the truth behind sightings 2 & 3 :angry:

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#22 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:58 PM

that depends on whether you think that it's just an omen- a warning or precurser to these events rather than their cause... if you get my meaning. If they do just act as Banshee's then it would make no difference whether you got the warning or not- you'd still die or get the bad luck- is it better to have the warning first? Although with this three sightings system involved with this particular dog, the dog would seem to be more instrumental in the luck changes and death.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#23 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:35 AM

Warning or not, we all try to cheat death, and who's to say whether it's possible or not?
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#24 chillartist

chillartist

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:30 PM

Erich wiess thats why i always wanted to ask him.Seriously ive climbed that hill(mountain) and blue trail more times than i can say no resighting.I had a girlfriend who said she had had a accident as a child on the meriden side years ago and swore she saw it as well our stories did match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users