• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 poisonette

poisonette

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

I found this on the front page of our local newspaper. What get's me about it is that it's all a "He Said, She Said" article. There's no facts in it, no history, nothing. It just says it dates back to the 19th century.

Mysterious guests rumored to visit 19th century landmark

I wrote a Letter to the Editor:
I found it interesting that you would publish a Ghost story on the front page. (Mysterious guests rumored to visit 19th century landmark 4/10/05)I like the idea. However, I am surprised you would print a story with no facts or history. It was all "He said, She said". Even fun stories should have some facts in them.

When reporting a supposedly haunted location, there should always be some background on it. Honestly, where is the research: When was it built? Was it always a restaurant or what other purposes did it serve? Were there any known deaths?

Nowadays it takes more than just "She said she saw something" to make a place haunted. With stories like this it's no wonder the National Science Foundation stated in 2000 "people who believe in the existence of paranormal phenomena may have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality." http://www.nsf.gov/s...ess/c8/c8s5.htm

Here is the full article in case the link doesn't work.

Mysterious guests rumored to visit 19th century landmark
Tom Prusha
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Tom Prusha

Record-Courier staff writer

GARRETTSVILLE -Two guests at the Olde Mill Restaurant are often heard and even sometimes seen but both appear to be awfully shy.

Workers have told Susan North, who owns the business with Terry Gallagher, they would see someone, glance away, return to look again and the person would be gone - disappeared.

North didn’t say the restaurant was haunted but the word “ghost” comes to mind when the stories are told about the downtown Garrettsville landmark, which dates to the 19th Century.

Just last week North said a server was leaving and went across the street to get into her car but returned to talk with North.

“She came in here to tell me something and she went directly to the office (upstairs). She said she saw me through a window up there as she as crossing the street,” North said. “She came downstairs and asked if I was just upstairs. I was downstairs all the time.”

Just before Thanksgiving another server was greeting people in the back dining room.

“She was seating them and saw man sitting in the corner booth. She turned her back to seat the guests, turned back around to help the man and he disappeared,” North said.

The man was middle-aged and had a mustache.

North said the man was seen again by another employee in the upstairs back storage room.

“She looked behind her and saw a guy standing there,” North said.

He was mi
ddle-aged with a mustache.

A woman who cooked at the restaurant told North she saw a little girl upstairs.

“The girl was wearing a long white dress. She was 9 or 10 years old,” she said. “The cook was scared to death.”

One night a bartender said he looked up and saw an image upstairs above the bar. “His eyes got big and he turned pure white,” she said.

Judy Auth, a cook at the restaurant, she had an experience but isn’t sure what she saw.

“One Sunday morning I came in. I was new and didn’t know where the light switches are and it was dark. I got near the bar and saw something running into the dining room,” she said.

She said she didn’t follow until Sue North came to work, just moments later.

While some of her employees have reported seeing apparitions at the restaurant, North hasn’t.

“I have to be honest. I’ve never seen anything. I’m in here a lot often times by myself. I would like to see something. Every once in a while I get a real eerie feeling,” North said.

“One night I swear I could hear a little girl giggling. I went into the back room and turned the lights on and looked all around there but I didn’t see anything,” she said.

“Two weeks ago I set a cigarette lighter behind me at the bar and 10 minutes later it was gone. We lose lighters all the time.”
~Ari~

#2 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:35 AM

Your right. That's a pretty sparse article. They could of used more info in there. Not very good reporting if you ask me.

BTW, How's the food at that place? :D
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#3 poisonette

poisonette

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:07 AM

I've never been there and I don't know if I'll go for a while. Like my mom said, the article was a great way to get free advertizing considering that's about all the article was good for.
~Ari~
~Ari~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users