• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:57 AM

Is there an actual bible/spiritual bible for Wicca or Paganism. Or is it just scattered about?
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

Individual Wiccans/Witches will have something called a Book of Shadows, which they may share among their coven or circle or keep to themselves. That's about the closest thing, but really, no Bible or Holy Book per say. A Book of Shadows is a collection of spells, rituals, chants, recipies for oils and incense, herbalism, and various other things. Some put them online. And it's all kinda passed along from person to person, shared knowledge kind of thing.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 kismitj

kismitj

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:41 AM

well said vampchick!

there is only one basic credo that carries over into all traditions or paths of wicca. "an it harm none do as ye will"

#4 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:37 AM

vampchick has the info to a T...... *scratches head and looks around* now where did i put MY Book of Shadows?..... darn now i will have to look^_^
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:20 AM

As an example of the variety of 'books' that Wiccans and Witches can have, I'll give the types I've personally pulled together for me.

None technically qualify as a Book of Shadows, which is normally one large book with everything in it.

I have one book I have created which is specifically for the Goddess Brighid, so prayers, rituals, chants, legends, etc. (I included St. Bridget in it as well actually).

One book is other Gods and Goddesses of the Celtic Pantheon, plus a few others that I feel a connection with. Same kind of content as the Brighid book.

One book is purely herbs, magical, medicinal, growing tips, incense recipies, etc.

One book is purely essential oils, magical, medicinal, aromatherapy, etc.

One book is spells and rituals that I have created/adapted.

Normally a Book of Shadows is all of the above in one, plus specifically Wiccan content (the Rede, etc).

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:42 PM

Vamp, I like the ideal of having separate book for like subjects. I made a binder with dividers so I could add and remove pages if needed.
I think The Rede is something that all Wiccan and Pagans tend to fallow.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#7 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

All Wiccans, yes....most Pagans yes...but not all :)

And yea, I find having each subject in its own book to be far more helpful for me. For my book on Brighid and my other book on Gods and Godesses, I purchased two small sketchbooks so that I could include drawings. The herb book fits right in most of my purses, as I never know where I'll stumble over a rare herb I might REALLY want. The rest are those little blank journals you buy at book stores and greeting card stores. (Spells & Rituals is now TWO books....)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#8 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:06 AM

Every room in my house is riddled with one or more of those lil journals, they're the best! I had a friend send this link to me, it not only gives you excellent info on wiccan/pagan subs such as book of shadows but other religious sacred texts as well :)

http://www.sacred-te...m/bos/index.htm
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#9 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:38 AM

This has been a very informative thread. I know that Wiccans/Pagans create their own Book of Shadows and I have thought about doing that for quite some time now but have not gotten around to it.

I like the idea of using a binder with removable pages as well, I like my stuff organized too much and I might write something and it is sloppy so I will want to re-write it, or maybe I find a spell that fits with another and want to place it near a spell I already have...so being able to remove and move pages sounds like the thing to me.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

The binder seems to me like it would also be good when you copy out a spell and then alter it to suit your own needs (which is common), so you would be able to have the orginal followed by the variations that you add in.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:20 PM

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere in one of the other Wicca threads.

If there is no "bible" for Wicca/Witches, how do you find the rules that tell you what is right and wrong in order to follow the belief? Also, how does one get promoted through the ranks to High Priestess, or High Priest?
Posted Image

#12 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:34 PM

There are no "rules" to follow, the one thing that could maybe constitute as a rule would be Harm No One, Do What You Will....which basically means to not harm anyone...including yourself.

Becoming a Priest or Priestess can differ between Covens and Traditions. Sometimes just running a Coven makes you a Priest or Priestess. In others, there could be a training period that results in actual ordination within a church.

Good questions Justa, I dont think we've actually covered this before
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#13 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:09 AM

Some of it is plain common sense :) Some of it is tied to a loose grasp of Karma. Some of it is tied to a sense of conciousness, as in, "I would feel bad or guilty doing such and such, so I won't do it". Some is tied in with the particular culture that the path takes.

In my own personal case, my particular tradition is Celtic, so I take wisdom from what we do have of pre-Christian Celtic (mostly Irish in my case) religion and culture, and yes, sometimes even the very early Christian period (Celtic Christian) where the two were blending a bit. (btw...this is the time period that many oral traditions, laws, customs and myths were actually written down)

As for the Priest/Priestess postion, Willow is right, it depends on the coven or circle. But you should also note that it's somewhat different from the concept in Christian circles, as a Priest/Priestess (High or otherwise) is generally just the person who leads group ritual and don't have the kind of "representative" concept that the Catholic Church has for their Priests.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#14 linturner2

linturner2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Witchcraft, Horses, Cars(particularly Muscle), final fantasy games, fantasy collectibles(i.e. unicorns, wizards, dragons, fairies, etc.)

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:00 AM

There are a couple of books written by wiccans that are called. "The Witches Bible" or something along those lines. I have read a couple of these and they are pretty good. Don't know the author right off hand will get back with you on that. Also I have a book called "Wiccan Beliefs and Practices." will give author later. This is a very good book. It looks at wicca from different traditions of the religion so you get a view from several different aspects not just one persons point of view.
Freedom of Religion means ALL religionChristianity has pagan DNA

#15 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:24 PM

The Wiccan "religion" seems to have been a product of the romantic fantasies of certain 19th century mystics. These persons, usually men, seemed to be interested in what they perceived as a more sexually permissive pre-Christian Britain. "Druidic" rituals were the basis for initial "rites". To my knowledge, no wicker men filled with human sacrifices were ever burned alive. What was used was very selective.

During the 20th century, Feminists latched on to paganism, accusing Judeo-Christian-Muslim traditions as being patristic. At this point, "Wiccans" seem to have taken a definitely feminist tone. Insofar as I can discover, Wiccan covens today are universally led by women, and supported by a man, often their "significant other."

I have a question for you ladies and gents. Is there any solid historical basis for modern Wiccan practices, or ae they just inventing their own religion as they go along, borrowing what they like, from who and where they want?
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users