• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JennaLaLune

JennaLaLune

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:43 AM

Does anyone have any information about Dogtown in Gloucester MA? The story that I know is that it was an early settlement out in the woods of Gloucester, which is one of the coutry's oldest port cities. It still is a major player in local fishing. I know that even back then the residents felt that the woods were haunted. They are still believed to be today. I went there not too long ago. The land is rocky and treacherous. God only knows why anyone would want to settle out there in the first place. Protection maybe. I mean besides the haunting...you can't grow anything on rocks! I know that is another reason why the residents left. All that is left are the pits where foundations once were and rocks that were carved by someone in the 1620's with words like "Kindness" and "Study". I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on what exactly is haunting the area. Supposedly people have dissappeared in Dogtown...but I guess that goes for any woods. Everyone's pretty sure its haunted out there....anybody know what exactly is haunting Dogtown? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
"Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is Blind." -Albert Einstein

#2 armadilloswill

armadilloswill

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:22 PM

The settlers of Dogtown origionaly were settled in the Stage Fort Park erea of Gloucester. They moved their settlement because they were being harased by Pirates. The name "Dogtown" Came after the settlement was abandon and overrun by wild dogs.
Chuck C. Salem Ma

#3 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 02:49 PM

heres one with a couple of pictures

http://home.att.net/...ghosttowns.html
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#4 armadilloswill

armadilloswill

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 05:20 AM

There is a book called "Ghosts Of Boston Town" by Holly Mascott Nadler, published by Down East Books. The chapter titled "The Vilage of Lost Witches" is about Dogtown. Also,Gloucester historian Thomas Dresser wrote a book titled Dogtown, A Village Lost In Time. I've only read the first one.   I was correct about the people hiding from the pirates. What I didn't know was that the abandond village was taken over by Witches, Fotune tellers,Prostitutes, and other outcasts of society.
Chuck C. Salem Ma

#5 spookymonkey

spookymonkey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:13 PM

the words kindness, work hard, etc. were placed long after dogtown was abandoned in the 1860's by the founder of Bentley College.  He then owned the land and liked to walk the old paths leading to dogtown commons.  He had the little messages carved to inspire those who went walking there.  The name came from the witches, widows, and outcasts who lived there after folks took to fishing because farming on granite was a bit too tough.  See, they would let packs of stray dogs run around to discourage people from going up there and bugging them.  Now rumor has it that there are still sightings of stange dark dog-like animals up there. not by random hikers but usually by the locals who live around the perimeter.  The locals pretty much all believe that dogtown is some weird juju, and you don't find them in there very often. it'susually folks not from Gloucester who hike and bike up there. I have hiked through there quite a few times and strangely enough I always feel strongly that I'm being watched. To the point that I have left the trail looking for whoever was staring at me in the woods several times and always come up empty.  Dogtown is definately one of "those" places. luckily it is easy enough to get to from here in Salem when I feel like a nice creepy nature walk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users