• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 09:20 AM

My wife and I are planning a return to visit the Farnsworth Inn of Gettysburg, PA the weekend of January 25th, 2003. It will be our 3rd visit to the haunted Civil War Inn.

Our first visit was in Dec 2001. We stayed in the Schultz Room. Upon check-in in the afternoon, we immediately went to the room. My wife stayed in the room by herself while I went out to the car to get our luggage. While I was gone, she used the toilet. When she went to flush, nothing happened - no flushing. She made a mental note to tell the innkeeper. She then went to the sink and as she was running the water, she heard the toilet flush. She walked over to the toilet and the toilet in fact did flush. She told me when I came back to the room, but I just figured it was a plumbing problem.  That nite we went downstairs to the basement to hear the production that the Inn puts on about ghost stories. One of the stories was about a little boy, Jeremy, who was killed out front of the inn by being run over by a horse and carriage. The boy was brought inside and later died in what is now called the Sarah Black room. The storeyteller went on to tell about how Jeremy was very playful at the Inn. He loved to play with the flushing mechanism on the toilets! We were shocked to hear this. The next story was about Mary, she was an elderly midwife who also died in the Sarah Black Room. She supposedly roams the inn and enters each room after the guests had retired to bed. She is supposedly checking on their well being. We had gone to bed at about 11:30pm. Due to the day's activities we had no problem falling right to sleep. At about 12:30 my wife was awakened by the shaking of the bed. When she opened her eyes there wasn't anyone there. A few seconds later, it happened again. Still no one. She thought she was dreaming and went back to sleep. The next day while driving home, she checked her cell phone for messages. There was one message from her teen age son...at 12:30am!!!
Our 2nd visit was in July, 2002. This time we stayed in the Jennie Wade Room. which is supposedly the 2nd most haunted room in the original inn. Knowing that the inn did not have TV's in the rooms, we brought our 19" and VCR. The first nite we came back to the room after dinner and watched two movies on the VCR. At about 1:00am, I turned them off and we fell asleep. During the night, I heard my wife get up and go into the bedroom. I didn't hear her come back to bed, so I got up on one elbow and saw her standing over the TV. I said to her, "What are you doing?" She didn't answer so I asked her again, "What are you doing?" All of a sudden she relies, "Nothing, I'm just lying here trying to sleep." I looked back to the TV and there was no one there!!
My wife never even got out of bed to go to the bathroom!!!!
When we return in two weeks, we'll be staying in the Sarah Black Room, the most haunted room of the Inn - Jeremy died in that room and so did Mary!!!  Should be interesting!!!!  

#2 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 12 January 2003 - 10:35 AM

I stayed at the Farnsworth Inn in October 2001.  My Mom and I stayed in the only available room which was the Eisenhower room.  This room was in the annex and did have a t.v.  Nothing unusual happened to us in this room, but the night before we went to the show in the basement and met a couple who would be staying in the McFarland room.  Apparently there is a Civil War soldier who does not like people sleeping in his bed that is near the window.  The next morning, the couple came down with tape recordings of someone moaning.  While we ate breakfast, the waitress was telling everyone in the dining room that she never believed in ghosts until she met the mid-wife Mary.  Mary was apparently counting things in the kitchen.  While the waitress was talking she said, "Sh!  Listen to the laughing."  Indeed we did hear children laughing quite loudly.  There were no children staying in the Inn and the doors and windows in the dining room were closed.

I would love to go back to the Farnsworth.  Occasionally I see it on t.v.  The Sarah Black room sounds great.  I don't want to stay in any rooms that have the soldier who hates women.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#3 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for your reply.  My wife and I are really looking forward to staying there again in two weeks.

This is actually the best time to make reservations there. We actually made our reservations back in July for this upcoming stay. They always seem to be booked.  But this time of year Gettysburg itself is very slow because of the winter. You would actually see more about the city. and the possibility that Inn itself is not sold out. Like I said, the Sarah Black Room is the most haunted, so we are really excited about that. We usually stay 2 nights.
Once we return (that's if we do!!!!! hahahaha) I'll write about it that week.

Joe

#4 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:10 AM

Hi Joe,

That is quite an experience you had at Gettysburg.  I don't think I would have been able to sleep after the TV experience.

My husband and I are talking about a trip to Gettysburg soon.  But I don't think I could stay in a haunted room, I enjoy my sleep too much and my husband has a tendency to sleep through everything!  Can't wait to hear about your upcoming trip!

#5 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:33 AM

Great name.   The Farnsworth also has non-haunted rooms in their annex. These are rooms that are attached to the original Inn, but are not haunted. There is so much to see in Gettysburg regarding hauntings, cemetery, battlefields, etc. An amazing place. Spending a weekend there is a great getaway.

#6 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:44 AM

I am going to have to do some major research into a weekend getaway there this spring!  I am quite excited now after reading everyone's stories.

#7 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:58 AM

I can see why Gettysburg is so haunted.  So much pain and sadness in such a short amount of time.  I was told by some source that I don't remember that the rooms that are in the annex to the main house of the Farnsworth are haunted, but nothing unusual happened in the Eisenhower room, unless we slept through it.  I think that we were told that the mid-wife, Mary comes to check on all of the guests, even in the annex.  I feel as if I had missed the opportunity to meet Mary.  She apparently is a very caring and loving ghost.  Jeremy would have been interesting, too.  It is said that he is looking for a mothering figure.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#8 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:19 AM

Hey Noelle. I hadn't heard that Mary goes into the annex, but I don't know everything! hahahahaha.
Jeremy is a very interesting character. He supposedly has lead-toy soldiers in the room and he plays with them frequently. We have not actually been in the room yet to see the soldiers, but we talked to other guests who had seen them, but never saw any activity with them. The story goes that he removes them from the table and plays with them on the floor. And of course the toilet flushing is his big thing. By the way , all the bathrooms were renovated with new sinks and toilets, that's where his fascination comes in. Here's something else that we found very interesting. The key to your room also unlocks the side entrance. This is important because all Inn employees leave the premises and don't return until the next morning. In other words, the workers won't stay in the Inn at night!!!

#9 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:31 AM

The owners of the Inn must stay somewhere nearby.  If there was an emergency in the middle of the night, they would have to come and fix it. ???

Funny story about the haunted St. Francis Inn in St. Augustine, Florida near my home.  I took a vacation with my Mom and we stayed in a small room with twin beds.  My mother snores terribly!  I couldn't sleep with all of that snoring so I went into the tiny bathroom and complained in a bit of a whisper about her loud snoring.  At midnight, I heard a loud sound of water falling down.  My Mom turned on the light and water had fallen all over her bed.  We called the innkeepers and they came over right away.  They could not figure out where the water had come from since we were on the second floor of a 3 story building.  The most haunted room in the inn was right above us.  The innkeepers gave us another room.  It was a suite with a living room and bedroom and large bathroom.  We even had a kitchen.  Mom took the living room sofa and I took the bedroom.  I could close the door between the two rooms and I didn't hear any snoring!  Coincidence or was a ghost trying to help me???? ???

#10 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:55 AM

That's a great story.  I wonder if the hotel had any other "water" experiences like that?

#11 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 04:02 AM

I've been trying to talk my hubby into a weekend to Gettysburg too.  I was there in 1st grade but don't really remember too much.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#12 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:33 AM

Hi!  Thanks for the reply.  Gettysburg itself is absolutely incredible.  There are two seasons there  "Off" and "in"
The offseason (Dec 1 -  April 1  - which is very cold) is great for the sightseer who is trying to visualize the history. There are no crowds to deal with. You can rent an audio tape tour of the battleground for about $10 which lasts about 3 hours. It takes you all over the battle site - very informative, interesting, entertaining. It also allows you to stop and get out to look around  Devil's Den - is an incredible site. Huge boulders piled on top of each other - the Confederates used these as sniper stations - breathtaking and horrible!! The cemetery is immense and very accessible.
You have to remember that offseason means a lot of places are closed. Most motels are closed, some B&B's are open, but the Holiday Inn right near the Cemetery is open and relatively inexpensive  ($50/nite??). Getting into the Farnsworth is more or less hit or miss. You would need to get there by 5pm to see if there are any rooms open and expensive ($110/nite).
The "in season" is jam packed with tourists. Walking is your best mode of transportation, but there are horse drawn carriage tours of the city and tour busses for the battleground. Every shop and restaurant and hotel is open and filled. And everything is very expensive (Farnsworth $150/nite, Holiday Inn, $110 - $150). But all the shops and activities are very entertaining. I suggest everyone goes once in the offseason and again in the inseason to experience the whole city and history.
My suggestion, book Farnsworth reservations 6 months in advance for both off and in seasons.
Interesting story: Confederate snipers used the attic of the Farnswoth to pick off Union soldiers as they walked up Baltimore Pike. Jenny Wade lived in the city, but the battles were so intense, she went to the southern outskirts to stay with her sister who lived on Baltimore Pike (the house is still there, but moved - it orginally was where the Holiday Inn is now). Jenny was sitting in her sisters kitchen(?) when a sniper up in the Farnsworth fired at upcoming Union troops. The sniper's bullet missed the troops, struck the sister's house front door, went thru the door, and hit Jenny Wade in the head, killing her instantly. She was the only civilian killed in Gettysburg. The bullet hole is still in the door and tales say that Jennie still walks the house.

#13 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:59 AM

I remember seeing the sniper's shooting area in the attic of the Farnsworth. I saw the hole that was used to shoot at the soldiers, but hit Jenny Wade. :-/ I feel as if I am not a person who is sensitive to hauntings because the only supernatural thing that has ever happened to me was hearing those kids laugh in the dining room of the Farnsworth.  I truly believe that the Farnsworth is haunted, as are many, many more places that I have been.  I just wish that I could actually experience something.  Something not dangerous, that is. ::)

#14 hyunk7777

hyunk7777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 10:27 AM

Hey Noelle.  The story you told about the water dropping out of the ceiling sounds pretty spooky!!

#15 hurdingcats

hurdingcats

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 12:42 PM

This is a good time to go to Gettysburg because of there being no crowds. They are doing a lot of tree cutting so some of the roads through the park are closed temporarily.

A little fun fact for the single ladies...If you stick your ring finger into the bullet hole in the door at the Jennie Wade house and it fits....suposedly you will be engaged within six months.  ;D  Hey, it could happen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users