Whats your myth?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 fallen wings133

fallen wings133

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:slipknot, computer games and getting drunk *hicup* oh and eating cake. i like cake...who doesnt?<br /><br />and skating loooove skating and the beach now its spring/summer lol

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:52 AM

for my English project, i thought i would write about peoples local mths and legends. i want to know all the detail of what kind of myths there are. if you could also say where it comes from that would be a great help. thank you :D
well, im a slave and i am a master.this is the beginning then. the beggining of the end

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

Well, here in Canada we have a variety of myths, from the Sasquatch/Big Foot in British Columiba to the Wee Folk in Newfoundland. ;)

Give me a bit and I'll dig up the legend of the disappearance of Ambrose Small out of Toronto. And there's a couple others as well that might be of interest.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 fallen wings133

fallen wings133

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:slipknot, computer games and getting drunk *hicup* oh and eating cake. i like cake...who doesnt?<br /><br />and skating loooove skating and the beach now its spring/summer lol

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

excellent. what ever you find, no matter how trivial, will be much apreciated! ;)
well, im a slave and i am a master.this is the beginning then. the beggining of the end

#4 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

Here in Ohio we have our myth, or should I say folklore, about Bessie. Lake Erie's own, should we say Loch Ness Monster. There have been sightings on her on and off for 30 or more years and just recently it was boasted on the news about video taping her as well....Julie
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:37 PM

Here's a link to the Ambrose Small Legend http://www.torontogh...sex/ambrose.htm

The long and short of it is, he dissappeard off the streets of Toronto without a trace on Dec. 2, 1919. Never found. The legends have him buried at the Grand Theatre in London, ON, or the basement of his Rosedale Mansion in Toronto. I have somewhere a link that talks about his wife having something to do with it, since after he dissappeared, she wouldn't let the servants in the basement.

I'll dig up some more Canadian myths and legends, but there's a thread on this board that I started for them

http://www.ghostvill...?showtopic=6921

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 $'_Mediumistic_Spirit_Shaman_'$

$'_Mediumistic_Spirit_Shaman_'$

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, Russia, Proverbs, Anything Urban, Science [especially physics], Optical illusions, Collecting wierd stuff, Logic, Cats.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:27 PM

Well I have this old family legend called the Ghost Exorcism. thsi is how it goes; there were these two brothers- a skeptic and a ghost hunter who lived in this small one floor house with two bedrooms. every wednsday they would hear whispering that sounded like a preist reeding from the bible. it kept happening every wednsday until they called an exorcist to come in two days but that exorcist came in three days and that third day happened to be a wednsday! while the exorcism was going on there was something familiar about the preist's voice but they could'nt put their finger on it so they just ignored it. also, while the exorcism was happening the spirit threw things. BUT all of those things involved religeon. wen the exorcism was complete the spirit was about to throw a statue of mary holding jesus but it just dropped it so they turned around to look at the shattered statue. wen they turned around to thank the exorcist the exorcist and his book and stand were gone. hope you like it :)
I am not human nor ghost i am both. I am one with the paranormal and they are one with me. i am chosen to be the one; the one to communicate with thy of the second dimension, to be one with thy of the second dimension. If you need an answer ask me but there are some things that only the chosen are meant to know.Posted Imagei keep pressing buttons but the only one that matters is the target button

#7 Zodiac

Zodiac

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:DDR, Snakes &amp; The Super Natural

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

I know a real good site for it

Ourban legends

#8 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:00 AM

Hawaii has myths about the Menehune (little people); lots of gods, goddesses, and demi-gods; and mythical creatures.

One of my favorite stories is about the mo'o or lizard people. They are the sirens of the Islands. They tempt mortals with their beauty then drag them out to sea or suck the life out of you through their kisses, depending on which version of the myth you believe.

Another myth is that ti leaf plants ward off unwanted 'obake (things that go bump in the night). Each color of ti leaf is effective against a different class of evil spirit.

We also have money trees (sometimes called octopus plants). Legend has it that the number of leaves predicts your financial future. My own started sprouting 6 leaves in each cluster (up from 5) a week before my last job offer.

You can google for the Night Marchers - tons of information about them on the web.

Utah's biggest myth is the story of Brother Brigham's gold. Legend has it that several Indian chiefs gave Brigham Young an obscene amount of gold. Brigham thought it was too much for any man to have, so he hid it in one of the mountains and cursed it so no one would find it again. A variation of this legend has a Bigfoot-type creature (said to be Cain!) guards the treasure.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#9 fallen wings133

fallen wings133

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:06 AM

excellent. cheers guys. this stuff is helping me out loads. ive got so much info now.

#10 PreTeenGhostHunter

PreTeenGhostHunter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Hey I'm Meghan... jah.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:35 AM

A while back there was a lttle boy Named Billy. Bill was a good kid, He had always respected his parents and done what he was told. One day his mother sent him out to buy some Liver, Milk, & Cheese.
So Billy was out on his way to the stoor when he ran into his friends, His friends were heading to the Local Cemiterry to dig up a body of "JAKE JASION".
Billy wanted to join them, But he explained that he had to go get some liver milk and cheese. The saied to him in reply "Billy, We can get the liver from Jake... I Mean *Laugh* Hes dead in all". Billy thought for a minit and agree'd.
Then the kids went and dug him up, And took his liver for billy. Billy brought the liver home and his mother cooked it. That night for dinner all but him ate. (Go Figure.)

That night billy was sleeping in bead when he herd a noise. He woke up, saw nothing and went back to sleep. The the ghost of Jake rose above him and held a knife to him and saied "You think you can take me liver, Well i take yours". With that said he cut out Billys liver.
Billy died.

Posted Image

#11 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:01 PM

The Myth: There is the remains of a German U-boat at the bottom of Lake Mohave (along the Colorado River).

The story: This story was brought out several decades ago. I don't know what the origins are but it's complete hogwash. The submarine was supposed to be spying on the U.S. and somehow ended up in the lake. There is no way for a German u-boat to make it's way up the Colorado River, through the Parker Dam and Davis Dam to get into Lake Mohave. There is also no way for it to even be airlifted in.

A similar legend is true. During WWII there was a B-17 bomber from Nellis AFB that was flying training missions over Lake Mead. The B-17 somehow lost power and dropped into Lake Mead where it's remains sit to this day.

Well it's not a scary myth but it's a myth none-the-less.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#12 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:26 PM

Down here in Knoxville Tennesse we have the Wampas (or Wampus) cat. This terrible creature stalks the surrounding area. I have headrd many stories that tried to explain it. Some deal with Indian foklore and forest spirits while others say a "Witch" turned her cat into this beast to take revenge on the towns folk for killing her!

Some even say that the Half Bear Half cat girl which is part of the song "Rocky Top" (the fight song for the area) is a direct reference to the Wampus Cat.
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top
Half bear, other half cat
Wild as a mink,
but sweet as soda pop
I still dream about that.

"Rocky Top"
by Boudleax and Felice Bryant

this site covers a few strories I have heard.
Wampus Cat

#13 chillartist

chillartist

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hello All, Well I have a black dog myth behind my house on meriden mt comes with a three sighting limitation to it.Theres also a myth about a ghost train and ct is stock full of indian burial ground ones.

#14 fallen wings133

fallen wings133

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

could you explain that a bit more chillartist...your a bit vauge in what your describing

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

fallen, the myth/legend chillartist is talking about can be found in the book "Passing Strange" which is a collection of tales and the like from the New England area.

The quick version is that on this particular mountian that she lives near is a small black dog with curly hair (sorry, I don't recall the name of the mountain, but I'll post it when I get home and can grab said book). The dog is friendly, but you can't hear it when it barks or walks. It stays with you while you are out and about in the mountain.

The first time you encounter it, you have good luck. The second time means sorrow for you. The third time is death.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users