Validity of EMF meters for ghost hunting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tat2dwitch

tat2dwitch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Movies, Music, Art.I enjoy many different things.<br /><br />Please check out my Paranormal Investigations group web site!! Its interresting and fun! Thanks........<br />Kat^v^

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:51 PM

I would like opinions from paranormal investigators. If you have ever used EMF detectors in the field, do you think they are credible? Do you believe they are a necessity of a paranormal investigation? And if yes, then WHy? Just making sure I REALLY want to spend the $$dough$$ on one! Thanks!!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night~~E.A.P

#2 tat2dwitch

tat2dwitch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, Movies, Music, Art.I enjoy many different things.<br /><br />Please check out my Paranormal Investigations group web site!! Its interresting and fun! Thanks........<br />Kat^v^

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:35 AM

anybody??
anybody? lol
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night~~E.A.P

#3 kithrox

kithrox

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Aside from the obvious, I love my dogs, shopping, fashion, drawing watching movies and TV, music, concerts, sand volleyball, playing board games and guitar hero<br /><br />I've been into the paranormal since I was about 5. Since then I have been reading and watching anything regarding the paranormal, especially ghosts.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:37 PM

The thing about EMFs is that they are not sensitive to only ghosts...Things like water pipes can set them off.
Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?Just because you're paranoidDon't mean they're not after you!

#4 Boointhecity

Boointhecity

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:34 AM

Found this on the internet. :)

Source: http://www.lessemf.com/faq-mete.html

I want to do paranormal research. Which meters are appropriate?

There are 3 main categories of meter that are popular among paranormal researchers:

AC Gaussmeters: The hands down favorite is the 3-axis Trifield Meter . With its fast reaction needle gauge and 2 sensitivity scales, this meter is so easy to use right out of the box. Other choices include the 3-Axis AC Gaussmeter for high accuracy, the Single Axis AC Gauss Meter for economy, and among the low cost single axis meters: E.L.F. Zone offers lights both of which are useful in the dark.

Remote Temperature Scanner: The easiest way to check for cold spots is the Remote IR Thermometer. Complete with a laser pointer for good aim, simply point and shoot to get instant temperature readings of surfaces 10, 20 or 50 or more feet away.

Exotic Meters: Some researchers believe that paranormal activity can ionize the air. This phenomena is easy to measure with the Air Ion Counter. Radioactivity can be affordably checked with the Monitor 4. Changes in DC electric and magnetic fields can be picked up with the Natural EM Meter, which also offers an audio tone for low light conditions. A motion detector can be used to remotely detect moving objects, opening doors and windows, and the appearance of hot spots.

A great book on ghost hunting tools and techniques is The Ghost Hunter's

#5 nchrck

nchrck

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

I haven't got to use one yet, but I am married to an electrician and he seems to like the idea of using them. I think you need to have a basic understanding of the wiring of the building and electricity to be able to make a correct decision on whether it's a spirit or the wiring. He says that he wouldn't use it as your only tool. Just keep in account where wiring, etc would be in the building. As for outside, you can get a lot cleaner reading, taking into account power lines and the earths natural EMF. Hope that helps. I'm still learning too!

#6 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:17 AM

My best advice is get a baes reading in every location before doing the initial hunt. That way you have something to gage off of.

#7 jacsmith_xxx

jacsmith_xxx

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:41 AM

My best advice is get a baes reading in every location before doing the initial hunt. That way you have something to gage off of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i noticed these s meters give a huge range of frequenices ,,if i use a meter what range should i be looking at and what do i expect to see :yellowbounce: :yellowbounce:

#8 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:14 PM

Ah, but how do we know we are getting a, base reading?
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:44 PM

As I understand it, you need to be aware of where wiring and the like are in the building or area you are investigating, and take those into account when recording that your EMF reader jumped. While they pick up fluctuations (and the theory being that ghosts, being energy or needing energy to manifest), it's up to the investigator to fully rule out wiring and the like. Hopefully our members who are also investigators can provide some more information.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users