Hallucinogenic Tea

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:40 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...a.ap/index.html

At issue is whether use of the tea, which contains a drug banned under the federal Controlled Substances Act, is protected under freedom of religion laws. The Bush administration contends the tea is illegal and use of it potentially dangerous for church members.

Justices will review a lower court ruling that allowed the Brazil-based church -- O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal -- to import and use the hoasca tea while the case was appealed. Arguments will be heard in the court's next term beginning in October.

The church, which has about 140 members in the United States and 8,000 worldwide, says the herbal brew is a central sacrament in its religious practice, which is a blend of Christian beliefs and traditions rooted in the Amazon basin.
The Denver-based 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, voting 8-5 that the church had shown a "substantial likelihood of success" in winning religious exemption, rejected the government's request to temporarily ban use of the drug at the church, whose U.S. operations are based in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

In its Supreme Court appeal of that order, the Bush administration argued it has a "compelling interest" to prevent an illegal market for the drug. The government also said the 1971 U.N. Convention on Psychotropic Substances bars importation of the drug in the tea -- dimethyltryptamine -- except for research. The U.S. is among more than 160 signatories to that treaty.

Allowing the tea use "directly impairs the effectiveness of international narcotics law-enforcement efforts, frustrates intergovernmental cooperation, and weakens the government's ability to insist that other countries adhere to their treaty obligations," the government filing states.

Lawyers for the church countered that tea use by law-abiding citizens practicing their religious beliefs does not constitute drug abuse or put worshippers' health in danger.

"The record does not support the government's alarmist arguments that denial of the petition will result in physical or psychological harm" to church members or illegal drug trafficking outside the church, the filings state.

In 1990, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that states have a right to criminalize the use of peyote, which contains the hallucinogen mescaline, rejecting a challenge by Native Americans seeking a religious exemption under the First Amendment's free exercise clause.

"We have never held that an individual's religious beliefs excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct that the state is free to regulate," Justice Antonin Scalia wrote for the majority. "The record of more than a century of our free exercise jurisprudence contradicts that proposition."

I don't see anything wrong with this. As long as it truly is for religious purposes. They were used by the Mayans in order to increase their powers of divination.
What are your thoughts on this??
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#2 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:32 PM

Angelina, I'm with you. Hallucinogens have been used for centuries by mediums, but can you see the conservative bush administration allowing this, even for religious reasons? And wasn't it in his father's administration that peyote was banned? Don't mention freedom of religion to those people.
petunia4998

#3 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:22 AM

they would have to then legalise marajuana, its a Hallucinogen too!

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:07 AM

The group in question doesn't seem to be selling this stuff or pushing it on people outside of their Church, or even within their Church beyond the specific ritual. And, as petunia has pointed out, mediums and other spiritual people have used these kinds of things probably ever since humanity discovered the specific regional plants.

While I myself don't use such things in my own practice, as far as I am concerned, they shouldn't be banned for religious use (provided said religion isn't a bona fida "Drink the Kool Aid" type of cult)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:03 AM

I'm all for people using whatever they want for whatever purposes they care to use it for as long as they don't hurt anyone else. For much more information on this particular substance, read Terrence McKenna's 'Food of the Gods' and 'The Archaic Revival'. Whether we're talking Ayahascua, mushrooms, peyote, or LSD it's all the same thing. When used properly by people who take the experience seriously, these substances can give their users amazing and positive experiences. Organized religion doesn't like that, because it takes the power away from the priesthood and allows people to have direct contact with the "other".
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#6 little_light

little_light

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Working Out<br />Music and Dance<br />And Being a wife and Mom!

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:40 AM

I think it could be a hard call for some people...But since they are not pushing it and seem to be responsible then why take it away from them....? But it would be a hard call since drugs is a touchy subject....
"You only get 1 shot!"

#7 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

First off, a small amount of this 'tea' causes hallucinations, a small amount (ie sip) of alcohol does not. I see a great difference between the two. CCCCoooooLLL! From now on, when I do some 'srooms I tell the authorities that it's part of my religion. Yeah! That's the ticket!!! :rolleyes:

Seeing as how this is from my hometown, all I can say is: Figures! Leave it to someone in Santa Fe or Taos!!!
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#8 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

During the sixties allot of Hippy Buddhist types used to use Hallucinogenic drugs to induce “altered” states but the fact of the matter is during any practice you want the real experience not a hallucination.

#9 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

Excellent point Sammy!! You hit the nail on the head! :weeee:
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#10 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Well a huge part of this is... Is the tea or any other hallogen used in a controled environment? Is it that people who are a part of the religion at home or in private using it, or is it that the congregation are using it TOGETHER??? That then would be a controled environment... not just anyone claiming "I AM!!!" to the religion being able to use it.
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#11 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

I am not sure...However I am almost positive that Native Americans who use/used peote do so under the supervision of someone who is expirienced in using it and knows the proper dosage to use and treatment if necessary.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#12 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

Yep, the Shaman would over see it^_^ Been there, done that.
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#13 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

So what do you think of it in that sort of setting?

#14 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

VERY controlled. You have a sense of control with yourself, and yet you feel safe knowing that an Elder is all the way behind you, guliding you along the way. Using hallogens or just being in a sweat lodge is a scary experience.. so it is nice to have a controlled environment

#15 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

I would prefer to be with a Shaman or someone similar. I made the mistake of using a hallucinogenic ONCE in high school *acid*. Worst expirience of my life. Very scary. Not in the right setting, though. I imagine if it had been under different circumstances it wouldn't have been so bad, but I am not brave enough to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users