meditation...help

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

Same goes for me too, Sammy. I have a domineering personality since I look directly into people's eyes, but you know, being in business, I guess I may need to change my ways! On the other side, if I talk to people without looking into their eyes, I feel awkward! Feels like I might lose control.

I know that awkward feeling! It seems so impersonal not to look into someoneís eyes when talking. It all comes down to controlling. If I look into the other persons eyes I automatically take control which I donít want to do all the time because it makes people nervous and they canít really express themselves openly. But if you keep looking away it makes them think I am shy or disinterested. There has to be some type of balance but I have not found it yet. :blink:

#17 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:52 PM

No, I'm afraid I've never heard the small, still voice either. I'm so busy asking questions and listening to my teachers that I'm never still. And I travel on the colors. I would be a terrible meditation teacher because I do things my way, I always have and my teachers are so used to that. They always laugh about it but it's just accepted.

I can't look others in the eyes for a very long time because I can't focus my attention that long. Plus the fact that I slip into a hypnotic state very easily and I would be off in no time, which would be very disconterting to the other party.

Sammy, I can't do your type of meditation because the electrical impulses just run ragged all through my body and I twitch and tremble and I simply cannot be still. When I am doing a psychic reading my right hand is always moving.

There is a part of me that is always aware of what my body is doing, but it's like an observer outside of myself. It doesn't seem to impede on my information and my teachers really seem to like the input.

Moon, why do you think looking at another person straight in the eyes is a good thing?

People rarely look me straight in the eye because I am so animated: my face shows so many expressions and so swiftly, that it's a show. And I rarely look at other's eyes because there's so much else to observe, but maybe I have ADD, lol!
petunia4998

#18 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

No, I'm afraid I've never heard the small, still voice either. I'm so busy asking questions and listening to my teachers that I'm never still. And I travel on the colors. I would be a terrible meditation teacher because I do things my way, I always have and my teachers are so used to that. They always laugh about it but it's just accepted.

I can't look others in the eyes for a very long time because I can't focus my attention that long. Plus the fact that I slip into a hypnotic state very easily and I would be off in no time, which would be very disconterting to the other party.

Sammy, I can't do your type of meditation because the electrical impulses just run ragged all through my body and I twitch and tremble and I simply cannot be still. When I am doing a psychic reading my right hand is always moving.

There is a part of me that is always aware of what my body is doing, but it's like an observer outside of myself. It doesn't seem to impede on my information and my teachers really seem to like the input.

Moon, why do you think looking at another person straight in the eyes is a good thing?

People rarely look me straight in the eye because I am so animated: my face shows so many expressions and so swiftly, that it's a show. And I rarely look at other's eyes because there's so much else to observe, but maybe I have ADD, lol!

Doing things your own way is not really bad. Sometimes if you make a little change in your meditation you can find a way to connect it in your life. When that happens then meditation and awareness can be brought into different aspects of you daily life. Don't be afraid to make little changes here and there until you find what works for you, but don't change it all in one swoop either.

The impulses in your body that make them move might be areas which are holding to much energy. I know some people who's legs, hands, and arms will seem to twitch out of control. When this happens I would suggest concentrating on the area that is twitching and visualize that area releasing energy into your surroundings. But for your hand problem I would place your hand over your heart or midsection and releasing the energy back into your body. Imagine the energy flowing from your hand into an area that you need it. I don't know if it is possible but you may want to place that hand on the person you are reading's shoulder or hold their hand and imagine the energy being transferred to them (some people hate being touched or will become afraid of the experience so be careful). Dont try to force the energy in just relax and let it flow. If your hand still moves just let it be.

For me the keeping the body calm was not much of a problem. I am able to shut it off and keep the mind awake and concentrated. I know that for most people keeping the body still is the biggest of problems. The biggest problem for me was keeping the mind tamed. Early on my mind was like a tornado tossing thoughts this way and that and making me frustrated (at times it still is). All sorts of thoughts would rear their ugly little heads but instead of trying to control the tornado I just let it throw those thoughts out beyond my mind. Once the thought was thrown clear of the tornado it was not picked up again. Soon there was nothing left for the mind to grab hold of and the tornado became smaller and smaller until it disappears. Sometimes the best way to control something is to let it burn out.

#19 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

I am not sure if it is good or bad, it is just me. I am not talking about staring into one's eyes, but I always feel on the upper hand, when I can talk to people ON FACE, which eventually means looking into their eyes.
Posted Image

#20 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:52 AM

thank you for the suggestions, Sammy. I shall certainly give them a try.
petunia4998

#21 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

I'm kind of the opposite on the eye contact thing...it never occurs to me naturally to look in people's eyes (sometimes this is a disadvantage because I have trouble recognizing people even when I feel I know them well), since to me the essential person hasn't much to do with the physical self anyway...and thanks to my father using forced eye contact as part of punishment in early childhood, it really upsets me when people *insist* on being looked in the eyes.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#22 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:41 AM

I always look people in the eye when I meet and talk with them. My eyes may wonder as things going on catch my eyes but I study people through their eyes. You can tell so much about a person through them. For me it's not a matter of contol or anything like that, it's more how I learn about the other person.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#23 sprace

sprace

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:anything ghostly, reading crime thrillers a must, music mainly rock and shopping lots of it!

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

[B][I][COLOR=blue]hey guys thanx for the ideas and i will definately try them, and just hope i am succesful!!!!!....

Dee :clap: :Spaz:
Always believe~ Always Trust~ Always Love~ & All the good things will Find you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users