• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thorned

thorned

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:35 AM

Hey guys. I'm new here. Anyway, My friend and I are starting to research some places here in Delaware that are haunted. We went ghost hunting and found nothing. We seem to never find the right place! I know of sites that list places - but those places seem to be just rumors. Does anyone know any place in delaware that is haunted.. personally? We tried Devil's road and Plachette playhouse. I live in northern Delaware - and try not to go any place real far from home at the moment. *shrug* Any insight?  ???

#2 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 12:30 PM

do you live near the sea?

#3 thorned

thorned

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 06:01 PM

i live in wilmington.. sea is kinda far. we do have the delaware river though.. and a canal.

#4 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:36 PM

I like Delaware, I have been camping and white water canoe/rafting there, here you go Thorned BTW I like your piercing  8)

DELAWARE

Dover Governor's Mansion, Dover, Delaware.
No address listed

The governor isn't the only one residing here. Many spirits seem to live here with four spirits being recorded. A small child in a red dress, a ghost who rattles chains in the basement, a spirit that likes to empty wineglasses and a fellow who looks to date back to the 18th century.

Thanks to Chris for sharing the following information: "I just want to tell you a story my teacher told me about the Governor's Mansion. They went on a feild trip to the governers mansion and split up between the girls and the boys. The girls went to the dining room and sat in a circle and the lights went off and came back on. They asked, "Are you the little girl ghost from the garden?" and the light blinked so they told her to blink once for yes and twice for no. They then asked, "Do you understand?", and the lights blinked once. They asked again if she was the little girl and the lights blinked once and then it stopped. One of the girls felt a cold "ball" on her lap and it seemed to make it's way around the circle. That was all that happened for the rest of the night. The guys went into the basement to look at the boarded up underground mansion. They saw a blue light come from the cracks and saw a dog's shadow. They heard it bark and then it was gone."

Blue Coat Inn, Dover, Delaware.
800 N State St Dover, DE, (302) 674-1776

The owners of the Blue Coat Inn believe that the two spirits who haunt their establishment are the spirits of Revolutionary War Drummer Boy and his commander, Colonel John Haslett.

Fort Delaware State Park, Delaware City, Delaware.
P.O. Box 170, Delaware City, DE 19706. (302) 834-7941
*Website

Fort Delaware is one of Delaware’s first state parks, created in 1951. On the National Register of Historic Places, the Union fortress dates back to 1859, and once served as a prison for Confederate prisoners of war. It was originally built to protect the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia. The State of Delaware acquired the Fort from the Federal Government in 1947. The spirits of many soldiers still haunt this land. Apparitions have been seen by both workers and tourists.

Cypress Swamp, Sussex County, Delaware.
No address listed.

On many a late evening, if one is really quiet, you can hear whispering voices in the swamp land.

Addy Sea Inn, Bethany Beach, Delaware.
To Make A Reservation, Call or Write: P.O. Box 275, Bethany Beach, DE 19930. 302-539-3707 or 800-418-6764.
*Website

The Addy Sea is a breathtaking Oceanfront Victorian Bed and Breakfast offering exquisite comfort and privacy in an elegant old world setting in Bethany Beach, Delaware. Pamper yourself in this lovely mansion surrounded with antique furnishings, original tin ceilings, magnificent paintings and original woodwork. It is rumored that atleast three rooms in this Inn are haunted by spirits.

Dickinson Mansion, Dover, Delaware.
For info, call 302-739-3277
*Website

The Dickinson Mansion is one of Delaware’s superb old plantation houses and is operated by Delaware State Museums. Built in 1740 by Judge Samuel Dickinson, this brick mansion was the boyhood home of two distinguished sons of the judge, John and Philemon. After John passed away, it is said that he never left and still roams his home even today.

David Finney Inn, New Castle, Delaware.
216 Delaware Street, New Castle, DE 19720. (302) 322-6367

The third floor of this this historic landmark, which offers one and two bedroom suites including continental breakfast and afternoon tea, is purportedly haunted.

Amstel House, New Castle, Delaware.
2 East 4th Street New Castle, DE 19720 (302) 322-2794

Among New Castle's few surviving colonial buildings is the elegant brick mansion, the Amstel House. A fine example of early American Georgian architecture, the Amstel House, built by Dr. John Finney, reflects the style and refinement of the colonial city's early prosperity. The Amstel House is graced with original woodworking and architectural details. The Amstel House interprets 18th and 19th century life in New Castle, and exhibits many artifacts and antiques associated with the town's early history. It is rumored the spirit that haunts here is one in the same as the one which roams the David Finney Inn above.

Rockwood Mansion, Wilmington, Delaware.
610 Shipley Road, Wilmington, DE. 302.761.4340
*Website

Rockwood Museum, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is an excellent example of Rural Gothic architecture. Built from 1851-1857 for Joseph Shipley, the mansion was situated within 300 acres of woods. Today, the museum is maintained on 72 of the original acres and includes the mansion and porter's lodge, gardener's cottage, barn and other outbuildings. Strange sounds and odd lights have been observed here.

Crybaby Bridge, Sandtown.
See below for information.

Randi writes, "We call this place "cry baby bridge." Now I don't know the history of the bridge but things do happen there. The bridge is wooden and is about 50ft long. It is surrounded by trees and a creek. The most beautiful scenery. Peaceful place during the day, but when the sun goes down the world changes. Me and a friend have been out there at night and have heard whispers. I have seen balls of light fly across the trees out of the corner of my eye. My friend had seen someone or something standing by sometrees it was very faint, then it was gone. These things do not scare me. The only thing to scare me was when we were walking away from the bridge to leave, something brushed past me. I'll never forget that. It sent chills threw my body. I have tried taking pictures but half of them never come out. Well, many people know about this place. I thought I would try to publish it somehow."

07.20.02: Randi sent in the following directions, "I'll give you directions. Come into Felton and head straight through town. You'll see alot of farm land. There will be a road to your right called Sandtown Road. Head straight on the same road until you see Ironmine road to your right. Head straight until the stop sign. Make a left. Head a little ways up and make the first right onto Hollering Hill Road. Then head straight again until the stop sign. Make another left. Then head straight and make a left on to Pony Track Road. Head straight. There will be alot of trees so keep your eye open for the next turn. You make a right on Still Run Road. Head straight to the stop sign. Then you'll go straight onto a dirt road. Head straight into the trees and you'll see the bridge."

133 Franklin Ave, Dover.
See below for information.

A visitor writes, "This old house is supposably two large mansions put together to make one house and was made into apartments in the 1960's. There is a ghost of a man in the top left aptment that sits in a chair and has a suitcase next to him. He always shows up at 3pm every day."
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#5 thorned

thorned

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 09:12 AM

i know of a lot of those places. but a lot of them are just legends. I've checked out a bunch of them and found nothing..  what website did you get that at?

#6 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 14 March 2003 - 09:44 AM

[shadow=red,left,300]Thorned[/shadow]

Here you go:

http://dawghouse.top....com/index.html

Just go to Hauntings  United States, then your state.

;D
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#7 thorned

thorned

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 08:13 AM

oh yeah. ive been there. have you tried theshadowlands.net's state listings for your state?

#8 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 02:56 PM

Yes,

The many that are listed are famous, some are on private property. I personally like going to Fort Griswold it is not on any list but a major battle was fought there in 1781.

• Guests

Posted 31 May 2003 - 06:43 PM

I used to live in Sussex county (Milford).  There are many places to visit that I believe are haunted.  These sites are hard to get to being that they are in the middle of nowhere.  If you are willing to take the drive down to the  Milford area, you can just cruise the rural roads at night.  I'm sure you'll see something unusual.  I know I have plenty of times.

#10 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:44 AM

Delaware is nowhere near as good as its neighboring states when it comes to ghost hunting. Its really difficult to find good places in Delaware that are accessible to casual ghost hunters who aren't part of a large group. I've tried Fort DuPont, which is pretty isolated and housed German prisoners in WWII. Unfortunately, any area which could have housed prisoners is condemned and inaccessible. There are some ruins of coastal forts there but I've been there many times and had no luck at all. I've tried a 200 year old family graveyard in southern Delaware near Broadkill Beach. The graveyard is abandoned because the farmhouse where the family lived burned down years ago. Many people supposedly hear voices at that place, but I've had no luck there.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to do much ghost hunting in the governers mansion and places like that, which seems to be the location of most of Delaware's ghosts. A lot of those internet listings are hoaxes. There was one I read that said Salem Church road was haunted by the ghosts of people hung for witchcraft back in the 1900's. Yes, Delaware is kinda backwards but I've lived here for 15 years and I'm pretty BAD_WORD sure no-one was hung for witchcraft here back in the 1900's. Salem Church road is a non-descript 2 lane highway that.. well you get the idea... it's ridiculous.

One time there was an abandoned prison in Claymont Delaware, named Woodshaven. It was a home for 'Wayward Girls' in the 1800's and later became a women's prison. It shut down around 1990. I was a security guard there in the mid 90's, basically for insurance reasons, and I heard whistles and footsteps from time to time. Unfortunately this was before I had any interest in ghost hunting. Since then the buildings have been knocked down. I've been up there a few times since and tried to get evp or some kind of encounter, going from memory and figuring out the exact location where I got them before. But the presences seem to be gone now.

If any organization in the MD or PA area wants to go to Fort Delaware though, please for the love of god let me come too. It housed confederate prisoners in the Civil War. My dad is a re-enactor up there, I guess I could probably enlist his help in getting permission and so on. It's on an island by itself. By all accounts that place is VERY haunted and I have no intention of trying to go up there and conducting a BAD_WORD thing at night by myself.

I'd love to hear about ACCESSIBLE, preferably isolated places that are no further than an hour away from Wilmington DE. I would also like very much to be part of any investigation that goes on in that area, esp. an investigation at Fort Delaware. If anyone wants to get together, let me know.

#11 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal & macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:34 AM

I used to live south of Wilmington, and my wife and I were married in the DuPont estate in Wilmington. It sits on the grounds of a large park, off of Philly Pike just north of downtown.
I think ours was one of the last weddings there, as they stopped allowing the mansion to be rented out for private functions.
I can tell you that the mansion is haunted. Both from the feelings I got while there, and through stories from our caterer who did events exclusively at the estate. Several times before the wedding we had meetings there in the evening with him, and it always felt like we were being very closely watched. There is a private bedchamber  upstairs that the brides were allowed to use to dress in. My wife was immediately terrified of the room the first time we saw it. At one point in our reception, she went upstairs to hide the gift purse she was carrying that contained all the cards w/ money folks gave us. She went up there alone, hid it, and no one else saw this. After the reception at about midnight we went up there to gather her things, and the purse was gone. After a few minutes of frantic searching we found it had mysteriously been moved to another drawer far across this huge room. She checked with her family, and no one had even gone up there, let alone moved the purse, and nothing was missing from it.
Our caterer often found himself working there alone in the evenings, doing paperwork, cleaning up, etc. He said that before leaving he was required by the property owners to go through the house from top to bottom and shut off every light. But when driving away from the property he would always see the attic lights turn on when he glanced at the house in his rearview mirror.
Cold spots were common there, I felt several myself at various times in the months prior to the wedding.
In the lobby there was also this funny old phone looking thing that was some sort of early intercom system, dating from the late 1800s. Our caterer said that sometimes when shutting down the mansion for the night, on his way out the door, this phone would ring when he walked by! Keep in mind that this phone was not wired to any power source, and hadn't been functional for decades. But once he picked it up and heard voices talking on it! So from then on when the phone rang he would never pick it up.
All in all, a beautiful, but very very creepy place.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users