Old Asylum In CT

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#16 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

Yes! Found it!
http://encarta.msn.c...onnecticut.html

and for tubercular patients, five state sanitoria: Cedarcrest at Hartford, Undercliff at Meriden, Uncas-on-Thames at Norwich, Seaside at Waterford, and Laurel Heights at Shelton.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#17 blood31

blood31

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

hey ,

im new to this site. i saw this thread and i was wondering if anyone knows any information on the old cedar crest asylum in newington. ive been there a few times and have experienced some really strange things, moaning, banging, and a horrible vibe, etc..
if anyone know any history on the bldg id appreciate it. i cant find anything on it.

jimmy blood

#18 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

All I know offhand is that it was originally used for tuberculosis patients. I may be able to find more!
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#19 blood31

blood31

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

All I know offhand is that it was originally used for tuberculosis patients.  I may be able to find more!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive even tried finding info on the new asylum that is running right now.
nothing. have you been to the abandoned one?

#20 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:22 PM

No, never been. A few of my friends did go a few years back, they said it was quite creepy!!

#21 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

I do know it is an in patient mental health care facility of some sort. An old customer of mine worked there several years back, and had a really rough time. He was out of work for several months because one of the patients broke his arm!!

Here is some info on the Hospital currently running *more on link*
http://www.das.state...AS_MNA_info.asp

Cedarcrest Hospital (CH) provides in-patient psychiatric services and substance abuse services for adults, 18 years and older, with severe and persistent psychiatric and/or substance abuse disorders who are unable to secure services in the private sector. CH is operated by the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services and consists of Cedar Ridge Psychiatric Service Division, located in Newington, and Blue Hills Substance Abuse Service Division, located in Hartford.

Edited by angelinayorke, 14 July 2005 - 08:27 PM.

#22 blood31

blood31

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:38 PM

I do know it is an in patient mental health care facility of some sort.  An old customer of mine worked there several years back, and had a really rough time.  He was out of work for several months because one of the patients broke his arm!!

Here is some info on the Hospital  currently running *more on link*
http://www.das.state...AS_MNA_info.asp

Cedarcrest Hospital (CH) provides in-patient psychiatric services and substance abuse services for adults, 18 years and older, with severe and persistent psychiatric and/or substance abuse disorders who are unable to secure services in the private sector. CH is operated by the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services and consists of Cedar Ridge Psychiatric Service Division, located in Newington, and Blue Hills Substance Abuse Service Division, located in Hartford.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the help. i still wanna try to find more history on it though. its really strange in there. theres even a room with bloody handprints or something that looks like that on a wall. some of the rooms are so tiny with only one window like they were used for punishment. really freaky.
i go there alot to explore with friends, something happens every time to us. creepy

#23 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

What town do you live in?
I would recommend going to the Newington or Hartford public library. They should have books and things on the history of CT. If they don't, I know for a fact that the Russell Library in Middletown does. You may be able to find a bit more there.

#24 blood31

blood31

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:44 PM

What town do you live in?
I would recommend going to the Newington or Hartford public library.  They should have books and things on the history of CT.  If they don't, I know for a fact that the Russell Library in Middletown does.  You may be able to find a bit more there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im from wethersfield, right by newington and hartford.

#25 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Ahh...I am from Middletown, live in Manchester now. You're practically down the street from me, lol

#26 blood31

blood31

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

Ahh...I am from Middletown, live in Manchester now.  You're practically down the street from me, lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha yea youre right.
let s explore ill bring my friends!

#27 chrissyee

chrissyee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

I too am from Ct,,but too old an fat and tired to run from cops or ghosts at this point,,LOL :whee:

What about the place in Portland? Elmcrest I think it was called,,is that still open?
I too would like to begin a group!

Edited by chrissyee, 15 July 2005 - 03:41 PM.

#28 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:48 PM

Elmcrest is still open. Not sure what it is called, as they keep changing the name. I'm too fat and pregnant to be running from the cops, so I feel your pain!!

#29 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:27 PM

i know about elmcrest but it is far from haunted....my sister went there when she was younger and i used to visit her....nothing ever happened there besides kids trying to escape......basically a home for bad children trying to straighten them out......crappy place to be when you are younger though......let me tell you that............

Another good place to research is the silas bronson in waterbury very nice library
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#30 hitoride

hitoride

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:24 AM

Hey there everyone, just found this neat place while looking for info on supposedly haunted old asylums, but I've only been able to sadly debunk many things I've heard. For instance, from everything going back to the 1930 US Census, Undercliff seems to be a tuberculosis hospital that eventually became a school until it closed. The real estate information says the "Former Undercliff School" is a 9 acre plot at 72 Undercliff Road, Meriden CT 06451, vacant, but it was never an insane asylum as I'd been told by my sister when I was a kid. I grew up in Meriden, so that one was always my favorite. From satellite photos and maps, I can see Undercliff Road (which I've driven past many times but never entered) has operating buildings only at the very beginning, then curves to the back and ends in a cul-de-sac loop where the big old scary place should be. I figure you can park at Target and try to walk through the woods around back, or park down on Resevoir Street behind it and walk up that way.

Also, unless there is an old one, Cedarcrest on Russel Road in Newington is still fully operational, but all the phone and fax numbers for the hospital start with 666-####. Not that I'm reading into this at all, I just think that's really funny. I didn't think that prefix was ever used for phone numbers, like how only movie and TV numbers start with 555.

Oh, and I've been to Elmcrest, my sister also spent some time there, though they did get shut down for a bit for "restraining" a boy to death (restraining was when they paged Dr. Strong to a location, and all able bodied men would gather there and hold a patient down, often just lying on top of them). When they reopened they had a new name last time I knew, my sister even went back there as an intern... nasty place, but not haunted that I know of. Here's the link to the boy's death, it's the last paragraph all the way at the bottom:

http://www.charlydmi...dcourant14.html

So, I am in New Haven and always interested in gathering for a little investigation and discussion. 25/m, I assume weekends are best for most people, but any day except Wednesdays and Thursdays is good for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users