• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#76 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

I used to do security work at Altobello, back in the 80's. It was a very "interesting" place, to say the least. "Bender" used to be a patient there, and they've got just about all the right facts. The small cottage down the road, where the patients would be given alot more liberty was called "Cliff's Cottage", by the way.
The main building, at the very top of the hill was formerly the hospital for TB patients, many years earlier. Sometimes, the patients would be taken out onto the roof, for fresh air.
This building was still being used for the care of patients like "Bender" at the time I worked there. Oddly enough, if I remember correctly, either the 2nd or the 3rd floor of the building, and the top floor, were abandoned. You could see the big "ward rooms" in the left wing, and the right wing. Empty. Nothing there except some debris.
As weird as it was, the employee's lounge was actually in the old morgue, located on the bottom floor, in the back of the right wing. The TV set was right in front of the "refrigerated drawers", which you could open and slide the tray out.
In all my time at Altobello, including many, many overnight shifts, I've never seen, heard or felt anything out of the ordinary in the main building...if you understand that the place used to be a hospital, and that sometimes people die in a hospital.

The place that was really strange was Undercliff House, the big brick building at the bottom of the hill, facing back to the top.

One night, while on patrol, I was walking around the outside of the building, and I noticed that the door to the basement was unlocked. I radioed in that I was going to check it out, and started down the basement stairs. I remember seeing a long hallway, from one end of the building to the other, with door all along both sides of the hall. There was heavy debris strewn in this hallway, so it made it a little difficult to walk thru. As I passed the first door on my left, I shined my light at it, and I noticed that it had a heavy door on the outside, facing the hall. Inside that heavy door, there was what looked like jail bars with a second door. What really got me was when I shined my light into the "cell"...I'd swear there were shackles on the wall. That's when I finally got the feeling that I wasn't alone. I finished up my check of the basement (all the rooms were the same), locked it up and went back to the main building.

There was no reason for that door to be unlocked...the lock wasn't damaged, but for some reason, it was open. I didn't really get a close up look inside one of these "cells", since I had a feeling it would have been a bad idea!

As far as security patrols, the only people we ever nailed for tresspassing were people driving up the little dirt road behind Undercliff House, that lead into the woods. I think you could figure out what they were up to! :yellowbounce:.

I wouldn't mind checking out Undercliff again, but I just don't have the time to do so. Anybody going there, please let us know what you find!
Beannacht ort

#77 97gstchick

97gstchick

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

FYI most phone numbers in newington start with a 666. or a 667. der der der.

anyways...
A friend and i went to go look for cvh cemetary on sunday. granted it was during the day time.. i think we drove by it... not sure.. then we ended up driving threw cvh in general... that places is really creepy.. even the parts that are still open are creepy. there were a few buildings that were boarded up and after talking to some friends of mine at work one of them said he broke into there...

anyone hear of any stories at cvh?

and lastley where is the cvh cemetary? is it that odd little lot on your right after you get off of route 9 and take a left?

#78 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

I'm curious, since I don't live in CT, what is cvh? Is this a place mentioned in the thread already. Again, please forgive my ignorance.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#79 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

CVH is Connecticut Valley Hospital, in Middletown.

Nobody's calling you ignorant for not knowing. We all can't be living in the wonderland known as Connecticut! hahahahaha :)
Beannacht ort

#80 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

Wonderland ay..... :)

No, I didn't think anybody was calling me ignorant. It's just another way of saying "I beg your pardon". Thanks for the reply BTW.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 27 July 2006 - 06:07 PM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#81 Tim1681

Tim1681

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

Cedar Hill Mental Institution is in Newington CT, and is part of the complex of medical buildings now owned by Hartford Hospital. The building, now boarded up, is an eyesore which is visible from several of the windows of my house. It is about the distance of two city blocks away.

Ever since I moved in, neighborhood children have told me stories about how they have heard noises like crying and screaming when going for "investigations" in the place, and the same kids told me about seeing an apparition there.

I am surprised the place doesn't get more press and media coverage. It is extremely haunted. Even before I found out it was haunted I would get an uneasy feeling looking at the building, in winter, through the twisted branches of the trees it looks especially creepy. I even wrote an email to the Ghost Hunters show to see if they'd be interested in visiting the place, but no word yet.

The "Cedar Hill Mental Institution" you are refering to is not Cedar Hill. The one you are talking about was called the "Hartford Orphan Asylum" and opened in 1831. I'm sure the building wasn't built 1831 and probably wasn't called that name when it was in service but it was part of the later operation of the hospital. And it is now on the grounds of a section of Hartford Hospital. You can see pictures of it here. I would go on with more history but i don't feel like researching it. There is alot of info on it here. Cedarcrest is actually on the mountain, about 2 miles away from the Orphan Aylum.

#82 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

The fact that is was so rough on you, it just maens more that you would share...I wish you the best and congrat's on your life...it's a great thing...

Dodie

BTW, great info...could you let us know about this web site...I have a thing for Insane Asylums...Love to look some up...
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#83 blue lightning 773

blue lightning 773

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:31 PM

There's been a lot of talk here about the Undercliff buildings. Want to hear some info. from someone who actually works right now at that site?
Undercliff Road is currently being used by the CT Dept. of Mental Retardation and DCF. There are a number of buildings on grounds that are in use. There are staff members working there 24/7.
The building with the open basement door was known as Cold Springs House, if I am understanding it right. That building burned down a number of years ago. The next building that everyone seems so interested in going in is Kimball House... thats the old TB hospital. It was converted to offices many years ago and is now just boarded up. Been through it many times... interesting as an abandonned building but zilch on the spook scale. Never saw anything that resembled a morgue, but I suppose some people must have died there. It was an old TB hospital after all. Altobello was at the top of the hill. Never been in there. It too was converted into offices before finally being abandonned. And it too is boarded up pretty good.
Now, about security.... it is patrolled nightly by State cops. Why? Cuz foolish kids have come up there and vandalized things...including the vehicles of the staff who innocently work there. So when we see a strange car drive up the road or a group of people we don't recognize walk up the road, we are naturally concerned. If you are spotted, the cops WILL be called. Its pretty crappy and ruins it for those of us who are interested in exploring sites like this, but these ne'er-do-well's have ruined it.

God, I don't mean to sound like such a wet blanket here, but I thought some current info. might be appreciated by someone.

#84 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:55 AM

There's been a lot of talk here about the Undercliff buildings. Want to hear some info. from someone who actually works right now at that site?
Undercliff Road is currently being used by the CT Dept. of Mental Retardation and DCF. There are a number of buildings on grounds that are in use. There are staff members working there 24/7.
The building with the open basement door was known as Cold Springs House, if I am understanding it right. That building burned down a number of years ago. The next building that everyone seems so interested in going in is Kimball House... thats the old TB hospital. It was converted to offices many years ago and is now just boarded up. Been through it many times... interesting as an abandonned building but zilch on the spook scale. Never saw anything that resembled a morgue, but I suppose some people must have died there. It was an old TB hospital after all. Altobello was at the top of the hill. Never been in there. It too was converted into offices before finally being abandonned. And it too is boarded up pretty good.
Now, about security.... it is patrolled nightly by State cops. Why? Cuz foolish kids have come up there and vandalized things...including the vehicles of the staff who innocently work there. So when we see a strange car drive up the road or a group of people we don't recognize walk up the road, we are naturally concerned. If you are spotted, the cops WILL be called. Its pretty crappy and ruins it for those of us who are interested in exploring sites like this, but these ne'er-do-well's have ruined it.

God, I don't mean to sound like such a wet blanket here, but I thought some current info. might be appreciated by someone.

You're right, the building at the bottom of the hill, facing back to the top was called Cold Springs House. Over the course of 20 some-odd years, I'd forgotten that. The building with the morgue is the building at the top of the hill, the building you refer to as Altobello. But, I do take issue with the fact that you're saying that this is not the building that was the TB hospital. The Altobello building is the ONLY building that even remotely resembles a hospital. It is where, when I was there, entry level "patients" (or, the kids that were new arrivals, and also ones that had the more severe problems) were housed. As I've said, it had the ward rooms on the abandoned floors that would have accomodated many beds, and THAT is the building that has the old morgue in it, exactly where I wrote it to be. Check it out if you get a chance.
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, blue lightning, but I believe that the building known as "Altobello" is actually the building that was the TB hospital. If I'm wrong, I'd whole-heartedly apologize.
Beannacht ort

#85 blue lightning 773

blue lightning 773

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

No offense taken at all, Meanderer. I think I was a little unclear in my post. Altobello was certainly the TB hospital. I think the entire site was one giant TB hospital at one time. I know the building I called Kimball House was used sort of like a TB hospital too at one time, but you're right. Altobello was definitely The TB Hospital. And then it was used by DCF after that as you recounted. All this talk suddenly reminds me of something. Earlier this past summer, I met an elderly woman and her husband who was a patient at Altobello back when it was a TB hospital. This was back in the 30's. She recounted how she had been sent to Altobello as a child (around 9 or 10) because she had TB. She came into Meriden by train and then was bussed up to the hospital. She spent considerable time there, possibly a couple years. She was not allowed to see her family though they were allowed to send her things. Her family could not afford to travel to come see her too. She recovered but she says many people did not. She recounted a story how one time she was walking back up the hill and there was a group of men working on the road, part of a CCC public works project. She recognizes one of the guys... it was her father. She said many other things, but I don't remember them all. Her story tended to go off on unrelated tangents (kinda like my post).
I remember those "cells" in that building down the end. I was in there a few years before it burned down. There was a hallway with multiple "cells" in the basement. Definitely creepy. I don't want to know what they were used for. I do remember walking into one of the cells but definitely did not linger. It was uncomfortable .... and i did not trust my friends. I would love to be able to get into Altobello and explore. I want to see that old morgue. I would also love to check out all those old abandonned buildings at CVH too. But for some reason, I don't think the State Police would share my enthusiasm.

Earlier, in this thread, someone mentioned something about a dog sighting at the Undercliff site. There is a legend about a black dog in that section of Meriden, but I don't know the story. If anyone knows the legend, could you pass it on?

#86 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

No offense taken at all, Meanderer. I think I was a little unclear in my post. Altobello was certainly the TB hospital. I think the entire site was one giant TB hospital at one time. I know the building I called Kimball House was used sort of like a TB hospital too at one time, but you're right. Altobello was definitely The TB Hospital. And then it was used by DCF after that as you recounted. All this talk suddenly reminds me of something. Earlier this past summer, I met an elderly woman and her husband who was a patient at Altobello back when it was a TB hospital. This was back in the 30's. She recounted how she had been sent to Altobello as a child (around 9 or 10) because she had TB. She came into Meriden by train and then was bussed up to the hospital. She spent considerable time there, possibly a couple years. She was not allowed to see her family though they were allowed to send her things. Her family could not afford to travel to come see her too. She recovered but she says many people did not. She recounted a story how one time she was walking back up the hill and there was a group of men working on the road, part of a CCC public works project. She recognizes one of the guys... it was her father. She said many other things, but I don't remember them all. Her story tended to go off on unrelated tangents (kinda like my post).
I remember those "cells" in that building down the end. I was in there a few years before it burned down. There was a hallway with multiple "cells" in the basement. Definitely creepy. I don't want to know what they were used for. I do remember walking into one of the cells but definitely did not linger. It was uncomfortable .... and i did not trust my friends. I would love to be able to get into Altobello and explore. I want to see that old morgue. I would also love to check out all those old abandonned buildings at CVH too. But for some reason, I don't think the State Police would share my enthusiasm.

Earlier, in this thread, someone mentioned something about a dog sighting at the Undercliff site. There is a legend about a black dog in that section of Meriden, but I don't know the story. If anyone knows the legend, could you pass it on?

Blue Lightning, here's a link that would tell you abit of history about the Black Dog.

http://cttrips.blogs...den-legend.html

I really didn't pay much mind to the mention of it in this post because, although Altobello/Undercliff are geographically close to the Hanging Hills of Meriden, they really aren't part of that section. I don't recall reading anything about this mystery dog being spotted anywhere other than the area around Hubbard Park and the area around Craig's Castle (up on the West Peak) to the west of Altobello/Undercliff. If I'm wrong....then I'm wrong.
Beannacht ort

#87 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

Actually, I just checked, Altobello/Undercliff definately are in the area of Meriden known as the Hanging Hills (he writes, sheepishly). I'd just never heard or read any stories about this mystery dog being spotted anywhere, at any time, indoors, so that's why I didn't pay much attention to the mention of a black dog being seen inside the buildings at Altobello.
I'm not calling anybody a liar, it's just that I find it improbable that, in the entire history of the sightings of this dog, it finally waited over a hundred years to go inside....

Edited by meanderer, 05 August 2006 - 06:07 PM.

Beannacht ort

#88 kb22783

kb22783

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

Hi all! I "visited" Undercliff about a year and a half ago as part of an extra-credit project on paranormal studies I did while attending CCSU. The building everyone is talking about is straight down the main road, after the Altobelo buildings on the left (I'm assuming those are the current quarters of Altobelo, although they may now be used for other purposes). The dormatory-style building was creepy, to say the least. Being an amateur and having limited paranormal experience, a friend and I drove behind the building to park, as to hide our car, and walked the grounds around the outside of the building, snapping pictures in windows, etc. Plenty of "orbs" showed up, as well as some hazy spots for which I had no logical explanation. I captured these on both digital, and 35mm film, both b&w and color, w/and w/o flash. I had a DAT with me, but was unable to do any recording due to my lack of attention to the dead battery (i'm a real genius, I know). After our visit to the main building, on our way out, we say a road opposite the low lying currently used buildings which was heavily covered with brush and overgrown trees. Having a Jeep Wrangler, I happily threw it in four wheel drive and proceeded up the road quite a ways. There is another building up there, however, we both realized that there were some lights and movement at the bottom of the hill, so we promptly left.
I've been comtemplating posting this messege for some time, but never really got around to it untill, now. Sorry it's so late; hope someone is still checking on these postings.
Does anyone have any info on the building on the hill? It is definately a subject of intrigue for me. I would also love to go back, but i tend to be a little skiddish about the presense of police/security.

#89 25thmustang

25thmustang

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

The Assylum in Newington that I visited is not the one in the pictures. If it is, then it must have been taken a long time ago, as the one I have been too is HEAVILY covered by trees, and I doubt you can get a good shot of it from any angle such as those pictures. The one I mention is on Russel Road right at the end across from some factory, and the one in the photos given is said to be on East Cedar Street which Russel Road is off (off an on ramp whcih comes from E Cedar). From what I see and remember, there might be two buildings very close to each other abondoned.

Undercliff has multiple buildings??? I have driven around, stopped and walked around the main one a few times. This is the one if you go into the driveway it comes up on your right, as you go by where the people currently work at. I have seen the entrance to the small dirt path you mention but never went up there (I dont go out in a 4wd vehicle). Is there a building up that road (you mention there is) and if so how far is it? Would be something interesting to check out...

I too also hate people who ruin and vandalize things. I personally am content with just walking around outside and exploring an area. I dont even have to go in to have a good time!
Not a ghost Hunter... but do enjoy going to haunted places and seeing what happens!86, 86, 89, 91, 93, 94, 06 Mustangs!

#90 fangsoffatima

fangsoffatima

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

well hello everyone,

this is my first time posting, but i have been looking at this site every day for about three months. I used to live in CT before i joined the af which now i am az, but right now im deployed. If anyone could get me any more info on cedarrcrest, or the other asylums that would be great... im planning some leave to go back and do some investigating. Thanks a lot in return.

Amn Sobol :Spaz:
living life like a dream, nothing can stop the US Air Force

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users