Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Dudleytown, Connecticut

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

:Wall: Dudleytown is a ghostown is a two-mile square plateau in the southwestern part of Cornwall county, in Connecticut.

I've run across this place in my reading a number of times over the years, and it sounds pretty creepy. It may not show up on a map though, having no living inhabitants.

One researcher said that he'd waited for years to get to Dudleytown, and now that he was here, he couldn't wait to leave.

The town was founded in 1740, by a branch of the Dudley family, a once famous and powerful family from British history, supposedly laboring under a curse before they ever came to the new world.

The whole history of Dudleytown is filled with tales of tragedy and madness.

The last two attempts at living there began with an Irishman named Patrick Brophy and his family in 1892. He moved into the old town area with his wife, two sons, and a flock of sheep. In less than a year his wife and sheep died, and his sons disappeared. :Spaz:

A fire burned down his house, and he was forced to move into town. He died raving about giant animals with cloven hooves, and green spirits that chased and tried to capture him.

The last to live in the area were a Dr. and his wife. They built their own log cabin. I guess this was in the '20's. The husband, a Dr Clark was a busy New York physician, and he and his wife used the cabin for vacation getaways.

While vacationing there one summer, the doctor had to head back to New York on an emergency, leaving his wife to spend the first night alone in the cabin. The Dr. returned within 36 hours. There was no sign of his wife until he reached the cabin. He found his wife alive, but she had become irreversibly mad. For the rest of her life she talked about ghosts, and weird animal-like creatures who were pursuing her. :Spaz:

I live on the West Coast. Are any of you New England types familiar with this place? :ghost:
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#2 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

Sadly enough, I live in CT, and have never been. A few years ago I might have gone but the risks nowadays simply aren't worth it. You can't get anywhere NEAR Dudleytown without running into the local police.
I would like to see for myself if any of the stories are true, if it really is half as creepy as everyone says. Maybe eventually people will be let onto the grounds again.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#3 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:09 PM

Jeff's got a page on Dudleytown~ http://www.ghostvill.../dudleytown.htm

Here is one group's account of a visit to Dudleytown~
http://pages.cthome.net/seeker/dud.htm

And one on the legend of Dudleytown~
http://www.legendofd....com/front.html
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#4 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:48 PM

i've been to dudleytown on numerous occations and i would have to say that i believe that it definitely lives up to its name....and this place i had explored both of the versions of what had happened at the town and came up with my own conclusion.....that there are definitely spirits that reside there......there is not really anything up there except for brick walls, foundations and very little sketal remains of what used to be houses.....once you enter so far into the woods, the temperature drops 20 degrees and you will hear no sounds.....very eerie......everytime i have been up there it happens....would like to make a return visit there but would now have to get permission for that...... :headbang: :ghost:
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#5 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

For a full detailed history of Dudleytown (including information not found anywhere else on the World Wide Web) and the facts and fallacies associated with this site, click on the following link. There is no other site with more information regarding Dudleytown!

http://drazor1.tripod.com/

#6 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

It s a shame that they closed down dudleytown would really love to go up there and investigate again......take some more pictures and maybe some video.....

:angry: :bluebounce: :purplebounce: :angry: :hug: :bluebounce: :angry: :bluebounce: :purplebounce: :bluebounce: :redbounce: :lol:
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#7 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:50 PM

Trespassing is Trespassing....no matter how you look at it or whether or not you get caught. Trespassing is WRONG!

If Dudleytown is closed, then there is a reason. It is best not to ignore that reason because often times....when you do.....someone ends up getting hurt.

#8 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:03 PM

Ya know its attitudes like yours PerfectDrug that make it hard on the rest of us. We try to do the right thing and then someone else comes along and breaks the rules anyway. Then the rest of us have to suffer because we are all grouped together in the end. Please if its off limits then leave it that way, Sneaking in is never a good thing. Always get permission or leave it alone.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#9 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:04 PM

thats a shame though......all those people started leaving trash around and the fires......i guess i would want to leave it off limits too.......i dont know why people do that......i hope that they have to do community service one day just like i did, you learn not to throw trash even if it is a gum wrapper.......

:ghost:

:angry: :drink2: :Wall: :drink2: :angry: :drink2: :drink2: :drink2:

#10 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

I am an older investigator. I have not done active investigation for years, but still have some contact with even older investigators. I live in Washington state, and only left it during my tour in Viet Nam in 1973. My contacts are mostly on the east coast, however. It was an old semi-retired investigator who suggested Bara Hack and Dudley Town. He said that he could only personally vouch for Dudley town.

There are other places though. One area that I've heard things about is the sleepy hollow country in N.Y. state. The cemetery there is supposed to be very "odd".
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#11 PerfectDrug

PerfectDrug

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

u guys should prolly get ur ideas straight too. that not all of dudley town is closed off. i been going there quite a while. All thru high school we used to camp there on weekends, many people used to. then stupid kids started lighting fires there.tresspassing may not be right, but if i see someplace i want to go, I just walk right in. I have been caught 15 times for tresspassing never even got a ticket not even in danvers state hospital. Everytime i was caught i was told "finish up what i'm doing and leave" I came off wrong with my post on tresspassing.(i was mad after my hunt for the non exsistnant blood cem in putnum) People really do suck that places have to be made off limits, but in 25 years when places like dudley town are condo complexes. I wont wish i had seen it back then.
I don't wear all black and slither into places on my stomach at midnight. i walk right in during broad daylight in front of who ever is there. everyone can pass whatever judgements they want but i know that me and my team have been to places most people just talk about.

#12 PerfectDrug

PerfectDrug

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:58 AM

can i ask what places u guys have been to before? oh and i'm not quite a newbie on here just a new memeber name. i posted many times before under Lala79

#13 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

Frankly I don't care a bit about B&E, although I suppose that I should. If you visit a place but do no damage, what's the problem?

I only broke into a place once though in the pursuit of the paranormal. it was an old house and I was 17. The house has been flattened, (for condos, ironically), but the place was so bad that no one could have lived in it. My visit there ranks right up there with my time in Vietnam, and I was only in the place for about 15 minutes. Sometimes places are locked up for a reason.
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#14 PerfectDrug

PerfectDrug

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

lol i never really hadda go all out B&E style. i do the classic hands in the pockets look up and whistle a tune as i stroll in thru whatever is open.cant understand why people would damage or leave garbage all over the place.

[COLOR=red][SIZE=1][QUOTE]"leave nothing but footprints and take only photos" ....UE motto

#15 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

Ummm, hey guys...since we do not like to promote trespassing here on GV, can we not talk about the various "styles" of it....even if it is in jest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users