36 replies to this topic

#16 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

actually according to the old priest at our parish the Catholic Church considers all denominations "cults" but not in the same way most people think. It was brought up when my husband and I were going to have our marriage blessed as we did not get married in the Church.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#17 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

Oh, I just finished reading the site posted by Vamp. i was under the impression that sect and denomination were interchangable in English. I know that the Portuguese culto doesn't carry the same connotation as "Cult" while "seita" (sect) is extremely infamatory.

Interesting site, isn't it? I do like Religious Tolerance.org. :headbang:

So, in Portugese speaking countries, if they call your particular church a sect, they're basically calling it what we in North America would call a cult? Because I've always viewed Sects as being slightly outside the standard, but still a viable part of the Christian faith as a whole.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#18 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

actually according to the old priest at our parish the Catholic Church considers all denominations "cults" but not in the same way most people think. It was brought up when my husband and I were going to have our marriage blessed as we did not get married in the Church.

I think they use the term cult in the same way an anthropologist or other scholar uses it to term particular practices (as in...mystery cult, the cult of Mitharis, the cult of Isis). So therefore, using it in the posititve meaning, to describe a particular way of worshiping.

Ye Gods...I'm very sleepy right now...so if things are coming out garbled, just say so and I'll clarify tomorrow, k?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#19 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

you make sense to me but, we're in the same time zone
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#20 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:07 AM

Another positive use of "cult" would be the "cult classics" such as The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy or any of the songs by Weird Al.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#21 JoeFriday

JoeFriday

test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Investigating the unknown.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:05 AM

Vamp. I would have to say that Scientologists are a HUGE cult. They will literally sue people who go against them. Back in the 90's, the Cult Awareness Network, an independant group of sociologist, theologins and psychologists dedicated to exposing cults, did some research into Scientology. The Scientologist turned around and sued C.A.N. and now literally own them.

That is a huge indicator of cult activity. Seek and destroy all who oppose. Here's a link to the story.

http://www.cnn.com/U...19/scientology/
Just the facts, ma'am.

#22 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:09 AM

That is a huge indicator of cult activity. Seek and destroy all who oppose. Here's a link to the story.

Sounds familiar!

Middle Ages? Conquests?
Posted Image

#23 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

I'll take a look into the article Joe and get back to you on that. However, I still would like to know the names of the churches you mentioned encountering that you considered Mind Controlling so that I can have a clearer discussion with you on this particular subject.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#24 JoeFriday

JoeFriday

test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:06 PM

Okay, let me think. Most of the "christian" style cults fall under the nondenominational stance. Most of the have names like Faith Church, real generic stuff like that.

Anyway, I grew up down the street from one of these churches. A lot of the kids that went there lived in my neighborhodd, so I'd get to know them and hang out at their houses some times.

This one kid, his parents were say brainwashed. The church had them believing that just about EVERYTHING was somehow evil. They weren't allowed to watch any Disney shows, because their shows often depicted magic, which these people considered evil. The only show I ever saw him allowed to watch was Flipper. Then they did a Halloween episode of Flipper, and he wasn't allowed to watch it anymore.

These people's lives were utterly controlled by this church. A prime example of a cult.
Just the facts, ma'am.

#25 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

Aren't all organized religions CULT by that definition?
Posted Image

#26 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hmmm....alright.

Before I carry forth, please understand that I am NOT denying that cults exist. I'm very much aware that they are, especially given some of the very well known examples that have hit the media over the decades.

Now, that being said.....

I'm still not really all that certain that those are full on cults, such as the Jonestown or the Waco, TX examples. Do they have certain characteristics that are shared with these more famous and extreme examples? Yes. Does that make them full out cults? Not necessarily.

Quite a few Fundamentalist Christian demonimations do exactly what you describe, and name themselves in the manner that you've given as an example. I point to the Harry Potter hubbub a few years ago. I point to the recent boycott of Disney that lasted 9 years due to, among other things, same sex partner benefits and Mirimax. These two examples, among others, were backed and/or put in place by Fundamentalist Christian groups and churches. And I don't qualify them as right out cults.

See, 'cult' is a very hard to pin down thing until someone passes the Kool Aid so to speak. Even cult experts don't always agree. And, many a non-Catholic denomination regards the Catholic Church as a cult. They regard my Pagan faith as a cult.

See where I'm getting at? It's not an easy thing to get to the core of, which is why so many people do indeed get sucked into something like Jonestown or the Waco group, because at first, and sometimes even 5th glance, these groups seem as just another church of the Evangalitical sort. The charismatic and meglomaniac leaders can put on such a good front. And there are no hard and fast rules to exactly what is a cult.

That's all I've been trying to point out to you. Just because a church considers Beauty and the Beast to be an allegory to evil does not make them a cult. Weird in my mind, but not a cult per say.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#27 JoeFriday

JoeFriday

test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:16 AM

Well, I don't like the dictionary definition of the word cult, because as Moon pointed out, all religions would more or less fall under that category. So, I chose to sort of write my own based on what I know of the established cults, like Jonestown and Waco.

Cult- any organized group with an esential leadership, rather it be one person or a group, that used defined and specific methods of fear tactics, brainwashing, habit or lifestyle control, money, threats, biased imagery, sub or super-liminal messaging or any exagerated doctrine to gain control over a person or group of people for reasons of manipulation and mind control.

I think that sums it up pretty well.
Just the facts, ma'am.

#28 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:28 AM

Joe I am afraid with your definition almost everything in life is a cult. Music groups, educational institutions, friend's circle, and even families.....
Posted Image

#29 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:00 AM

Well, I don't like the dictionary definition of the word cult, because as Moon pointed out, all religions would more or less fall under that category. So, I chose to sort of write my own based on what I know of the established cults, like Jonestown and Waco.

Cult- any organized group with an esential leadership, rather it be one person or a group, that used defined and specific methods of fear tactics, brainwashing, habit or lifestyle control, money, threats, biased imagery, sub or super-liminal messaging or any exagerated doctrine to gain control over a person or group of people for reasons of manipulation and mind control.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

:clap: Yeah, that would be, more or less, the accepted definition of a cult by the experts (although you should add that the leader is extremely charismatic and has a high chance of actually being sociopathic or paranoid...or both).

The dictionary definition of the word cult encompasses all definitions, from the "cult movie" to "Mystery Cult" (see Pompii) to "Cult of the Saints" to "Jonestown Cult". It's one of those words that has multiple meanings and interpretations.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#30 JoeFriday

JoeFriday

test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

Moon, I fail to see how my definition of the word cult leads into just about everything, as you pointed out. I'm not talking about broad instances here Moon, these are very specific methods that these people employ. They do their homework and really learn what is going to seize the attention, and eventually will, or their targeted victim.

Prime example, when members of organized Satanic Cults go out to recruit new people, they often prey on the weak and lonely types. They'll go to college campuses, clubs and bars, places like that, and seek out the bland quiet guy sitting alone in the corner. They'll net this person in with sex and drugs, slowly revealing what they really are.

By the time they actually tell the victim that they are Satanist, they person is so in love with the new attention they're getting, that they are literally willing to sign their lives over.

Of course, this process is longer and more complicated, but I'm just giving you the short version. It breaks down in phases usually, like this:

Phase 1) Bring person to parties with sex and drugs involved, and where religion is a heavily spoken topic, always keeping the mood in that area.

Phase2) Bring the person in a back room, or private gathering with fewer people, where drug use is heavy. Make sure that the topic of Satanism is being brought up frequently, so the person gradually gets the idea of what they're being exposed to.

Phase 3) If the person has passed the first two phases, phase three is usually innitiation.
Just the facts, ma'am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users