• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

alot of people believe that Catholics are a cult also? Did you know that the Catholic religion is the bases for the practices of VooDoo? Marie Leveau was a voodoo high preistess and she was a devout Cathoilc.

#32 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:26 AM

WEll, actually, the African slaves only USED Catholism to cover the practice of their own native and outlawed religion. Which is why Marie LeVeau was both Catholic and Voodoo priestess.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#33 JoeFriday

JoeFriday

test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Investigating the unknown.

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:01 AM

Yeah, Trudy kind of got that backwards. The Catholics don't use Voodoo, the Voodouns use Catholocism. Christianity was introduced to Hati and parts of Africa were Voodoo was largely practiced, and much of it got mixed together. The Virgin Mary is a large icon in modern Voodoo.
Just the facts, ma'am.

#34 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:55 PM

As is Saint Bridget. :whoohoo:

However, if I remember my history correctly, the mix occured in the New World (Haiti, Jamacia, Louisiana, other colonies in that area) and not in Africa where they were just rounding up people. The rituals and practices of the slaves in their homeland was outlawed in white European controlled society within the colonies at the time, so in order to keep what was theirs without retaliation, the slaves covered it over with a thin veener of Catholism. Although it really wouldn't surprise me that as time went on if the descendents of those slaves were as devout as Catholics as they were with voodoo.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#35 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

JoeFriday, do you have any links to evidence partaining to your mentioned towns or locations in your first post? I'd like to study them more.

#36 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:varied too many to list

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

Yeah me too, especially the Mass. towns as I can check them easier.

#37 JoeFriday

JoeFriday

test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Investigating the unknown.

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

No, I don't keep such links on hand. Most of what I'm saying comes from learned fact either through literature, personal experience or word of mouth. But feel free to do a Google search and see what you come up with.
Just the facts, ma'am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users