27 replies to this topic

#1 Ruf

Ruf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:41 PM

OK, I'll try and start a thread that doesn't just look like carping. :D

I'm not too bothered if this thread stays wildly on topic providing any tangents are natural, vaguely related and aren't just general chit chat.

Prompted by the 'Cold fusion' thread I did a little digging around on the subject. When I say a little, I really do mean a little so I stand to be corrected by any experts out there. Now the more I looked the more it seemed that what evidence there was was almost too scarce to even rate this as a phenomena, let alone one with an explanation outside of our current scientific understanding.

I read on one site (this was a site interested in the phenomenon and not a sceptical one) that there have been 200 reported cases in 300 years. Given the size of the sample against the population of the earth and the time period involved surely this is almost too small to even extrapolate a phenomenon from?* Plus you can probably dismiss a fair number of those as unreliable before you even started.

So, I ask you this, is there even such a thing as spontaneous human combustion?

* 1 case reported 2 years out of 3 from 6 billion people.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:44 PM

Well, that is a tough question to answer, because personally I wouldn't want to experience and know.

But reading the reports, I guess SHC do exist. But as for evidence, I guess as of now we will need to rely on the books and other reported cases.
Perhaps this discussion may help you get more information --> Spontaneous Human Combustion - Previous Discussion
Posted Image

#3 Ruf

Ruf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

Well, that is a tough question to answer, because personally I wouldn't want to experience and know.

But reading the reports, I guess SHC do exist. But as for evidence, I guess as of now we will need to rely on the books and other reported cases.

What I'm driving at is; can something be so statistically unlikely that in all probability it doesn't exist?

Surely if a set of circumstances exist that when combined create a phenomenon you would expect more of an annual probability of that combination occurring than 1 person in 6 billion?

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

This is a quick one off, since I'm about to close up the office for the day :D

But I do think *something* is happening, based on what reports I have read and what pictures I have seen. As to exactly what it is, I've no idea, nor do I have the biology background to even begin to guess.

Later tonight I'll dig into my library and try to find the (older) bits I have on this phenomina

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

That is a really good question Ruf...I do remember having and old thread on that subject but it pretty much died out. I have always wondered about that subjest...the thought of bursting into flames for no reason creepies me out.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

I am afraid the statistical evidence may not be possible in this case. And the figures that you mentioned is far from the reach of statistics. 200 reported cases in 300 years!
Posted Image

#7 celestial_kel

celestial_kel

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Reading (true crime and ghost books mostly), swimming,riding rollercoasters!

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

could this be where the phrase "I'm on fire for you" came from? :D (sorry...just a little "sick" humor!)
Kel

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

http://anomalyinfo.c...s/ga00003.shtml

Interesting article on the subject.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:29 AM

:angry: There is a new book out entitled " Spontaneous Human Combustion" , by Jenny Randles.

It looks to me as if there are more than one cause. The famous 'Phosphonic Fart" is responsible for most, but there is evidence for a couple of other causes including electrical phenomena and the supernatural.

Edited by MoonChild, 02 June 2005 - 01:38 AM.

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#10 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:52 AM

So it's not just about people with high body fat content who smoked while they fell asleep (among other things)?

I guess I have a lot of reading to catch up on!
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:01 AM

Are all the reported SHC incidents involving fat people?
Posted Image

#12 Ruf

Ruf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:37 AM

Are all the reported SHC incidents involving fat people?

No.

#13 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

...the thought of bursting into flames for no reason creepies me out.

:Wall: Oh yeah!!! Totally freightening!

#14 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

:Wall: Some of my posts seem to have been erased. I had decided to start a SHC posting of my own. I was going to suggest that it be a book club sort of post, with everyone participating agreeing to read Jenny Randless' book Spontaneous Human Combustion.

The paranormal problem is this: People catch on fire, often with an obvious combustion point, sometimes not. They burn at temperatures so hot that glass, which usually takes temperatures of 1,000 degrees f. to melt, is melted underneath the bodies. The death room is swathed in vaporized human flesh, but there is very little, to almost no damage to the room.

Lately, a british commentary under the aegis Q.E.D., recently did a documentary on SHC, on the skeptical side. Most of the consultants were disgusted and walked off.

My day has been taken up with trying to build bridges. I'll be back tomorrow.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild