Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

ever heard of the glowinng tombstone?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:46 AM

I live in springtown texas. Our town is so scary i wote a paper on it and made an awesome grade. We have to cematerys(both haunted). In one there is the famus white lady and in the other the glowing tomdstone. There has also been alot of photos with orbs in them in both places.We also have carter but i better not get started on that! Our town has the best halloween! ;)  

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 04:03 PM

Hi, Amanda, why don't you join up and tell us all about your town?
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 DRIGraphics

DRIGraphics

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 04:24 PM

Hi Amanda,

This place sounds totally cool, I love the old west, and
especially the haunted old west, take Masquarade's advise and sign up, it is one of the few things on the Internet that IS free(LOL) ;D

Happy Haunting,

Dan

#4 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:14 AM

Apparently, the glowing headstone is a very popular thing.  I know that I have read about two others, both of which is in KY and one is in my neck of the woods.  I haven't had the time to check it out yet, but I still do plan on it.
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#5 babyghosthunter

babyghosthunter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 08:23 AM

like TKE448 has said this story floats in our town...but most people say it can be explained logically..some sort of algae grows on the stone and the cast reflections of light to surround the stone...so?...but, still seems creepy ???...[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]
Being loved is wonderful, but being IN love is truley FANTASTICAL!! TKE448 and babyghosthunter

#6 Pink_Pear

Pink_Pear

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 11:45 AM

There is also a glowing tombstone on St. Simons Island, Georgia.  Its in the Christ Church cemetery.

Through out my childhood, I heard stories of a headstone that would glow at its base as if the light were rising out of the ground.  Only in more recent years have I heard an explanation for it:

In the mid 1800s, a churchmember who was very much afraid of dying and afraid of the dark became very ill.  In her final hour, she made her husband promise to never leave her alone in the dark.  

He lived for many years after her death, and every night of his life he visited her grave and left a candle burning for her.  

It is said that even now, decades later, he still returns to her grave each night and leaves a bit of candle light for his dead wife.

Many people visit historic Christ Church today--this particular part of Goergia attracts many tourists.  People still claim that late at night, the glow of a candle can be seen on this lady's grave.

You can read more about Christ Church by going to:
http://www.glynncoun.../Christ_Church/

#7 DRIGraphics

DRIGraphics

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:07 PM

Hey Everyone,

I wonder if the moss type of plant that grows on the majorty of tombstones might have an phosphoresent(however you spell it) type quality to it?  Because it seems as if this is a regular occurrence, at several
places, and they are not all that close together, so
region is probably not the answer.  Any thoughts?

Dan

#8 Pink_Pear

Pink_Pear

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:30 PM

Aww c'mon...coming up with scientific explanations takes all the fun out of this!

Just kidding, actually I am quite committed to finding out the truth about these kinds of things.

I have to admit that I very much enjoy the thought of a man's romantic promise to his wife being kept even after death.

Anyhow, I have a brother with a Botany background.  He's a little hard to get in touch with, but I'll track him down and see what he has to say.

#9 DRIGraphics

DRIGraphics

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:31 AM

Hi PP,

I do agree about the science of it all, I really do love the
fact that tombstones glow, and I would be more than happy to let it go at that.  I just offered an opinion
as to why they might glow.  But I am pretty much like
you, I am just glad they do.....
Dan

#10 Pink_Pear

Pink_Pear

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 09:33 PM

No luck finding a luminescent organism that might grow on tombstones.  I'll keep looking but my unscientific gut-instinct is that this isn't the explanation.

#11 DRIGraphics

DRIGraphics

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 06:29 AM

Hi Pink Pear,

Happy Labor Day!  Now that it is Sept., I think all tombstones should glow anyway.  I am getting the inside of my house all deady for the season.  And not
a test tube in the house(LOL) :o

Dan

#12 Malenkia

Malenkia

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 12:30 PM

We've got a set of them outside of where I grew up in Glenwood, MN.  There's 3, supposidly a family of early settler's that were killed.  How they died, it varies.  Disease, bed winter, Indian raid, ect.  It's right near Hog's back road, another "interesting" feeling place.  There's only room for one car, there's no reason for the road to be there, and it's a 30 to 50 ft. drop down on each side.  When you drive in, you're immediately covered by a canopy of trees that stretchout over the top of the road in an arch, but not through the center.  They just grow up and over in an archway over the entire length of the road.  No houses or anything by it, no reason for the road and the "glowing graves" (as we called them) are at the one end.  
It's one of those places that no one "seems" to know anything about.
Trust that everything is as it should be...

#13 DRIGraphics

DRIGraphics

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 05:54 AM

;D Hi Malenkia,

This sounds pretty cool and weird at the same time,
by the sound of it, it looks to be a visual I would like to check out, as I get up in your neck of the woods every now and then.  

However, with the drop off on either side of the road, I
hope two people don't get the thought to vist at the same time!(LOL)

Dan

#14 Tangnefedd

Tangnefedd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, poetry and writing

Posted 11 September 2003 - 10:02 AM

Our tombstone which resides at our haunted house doesn't glow, however it moves around our property at will, and emits a strong perfume!
www.y-mynach.co.uk

#15 LoneFeather

LoneFeather

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 10:20 AM

You mean a glowing tombstone like this one?   ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users