Symbolism of Animals

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

I was out walking my dog at 5:30 this morning (too hot any other time these days) and I heard a noise behind us. I turned and saw an animal running across the street. I thought it was a huge ugly cat or a mangy and really thin dog. Kind of spooked me so I kep going. A minute later I hear noise again, but on my side of the street and there it was - a red fox. I live in a highly populated residential area, my subdivision is over 25 years old, we do have lots and lots of trees and a small lake, I thought I was nuts, how could this fox be in my neighborhood?

It seemed really curious - not scared, Sophia was curious about it as well but she wasn't barking (odd - her not barking). It freaked me out that it did not run away, so I drug Sophia in the opposite direction and kept walking. On our way back, at nearly the same spot - there were two of them - like they were waiting for us! And again - they did not run away - just sat there looking at us.

At that instant I felt strongly that it was an omen of some kind, I just knew it meant something to my life.

So I looked some things up and found that a fox is totem for shapeshifters, the cunning Fox teaches stealth, cleverness and camoflague. They bring gentleness, swiftness and the ability to observe while remaining unseen, while the vixen helps women to find courage. Foxes align themselves with certain families and appear to them when danger is near. Foxes can be seen as tricksters, shapeshifters, and possessors of great magick. Visions or dreams of a fox may indicate a need to reevaluate your position.

All of the things listed were quite profound for me, at this monet and time in my life.

I was curious as to others thoughts on the symbolism of animals.
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#2 KCgirl

KCgirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Researching paranormal phenomena.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:34 PM

Some say that we each have a totem animal. Like a spirit guardian in animal form. Yours may be a fox. Why there would have been two of them, I can't say. But I wonder if these foxes were there keeping a protective watch over you this morning on your walk.

#3 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

I wish I had been able to protect them - one of the foxes was hit by a car yesterday. It made me very sad.

#4 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:36 PM

Well, a fox living in a city is not as extreme as you may think. All it takes is a public park within several blocks. I've seen deer hit by city buses on a busy afterwork rush hour day. It was close to a powerline tower corridor, so plenty of places to roam.

#5 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:08 PM

I'm so sorry that one got run over, but hey, that usually means it is still around!

And about the totem thing, you could just have protectors, not just a totem animal. Either way, they may have been there for a reason that you do not understand. The best way to tell if it is a totem animal is to pay attention to how you FEEL when you see/think about that certain animal. If you feel a kinship or other connection, that could be the one/the one of many you may have....
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#6 jenbrown

jenbrown

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:55 AM

In real nonsymbolic life animals like foxes come down from the woods if their home is being encroached upon or if they are sick.

I once found a fox laying beneath our next door neighbors car. It didn't seem skiddish or scared. I called the wild life rescue and they informed be of that behavior. They took the fox and later in the week when I called about the foxes' well being they informed me it had to be put to sleep due to sickness.

Poor little foxes. Hope they are not sick.
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#7 KCgirl

KCgirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Researching paranormal phenomena.

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

I suppose if it were a spirit totem, it would not have been run-over by a car, eh? Well, I guess we can scratch that possibility off the list . . . !

#8 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:42 PM

In my town there are alot of fox.
They don't seem to be afraid of people anymore.
There is one that some of the town people want killed because she goes up on the porches of some houses.
She's been doing this for months so I sure she's not rabid.
So why do people think she should die??
I'm don't know if I believe in totems i just think these poor animals are trying to survive even though we do are best to develope thier land.
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#9 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

Please be careful of a wild animal that isn't scared of you. This is usually a sign of rabies. There has been one woman attacked twice in her own back yard by 2 different rabid fox.

#10 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

I'm so sorry that one got run over, but hey, that usually means it is still around!

And about the totem thing, you could just have protectors, not just a totem animal. Either way, they may have been there for a reason that you do not understand. The best way to tell if it is a totem animal is to pay attention to how you FEEL when you see/think about that certain animal. If you feel a kinship or other connection, that could be the one/the one of many you may have....

Very enciteful nohara_megami - thanks.

I spoke with some of my neighbors and found from some folks who have lived in the subdivision for a long time that that the foxes come out every 4-5 years. One told me she had seven in her yard last Sunday. They were playing with a dead rabbit. She said she picked up rabbit guts all week. Could be that our larger than normal rabbit population is drawing them out.

I hope they eat all of the rabbits.

#11 Scott1956

Scott1956

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Music, The Outdoors, Quality TV, The Beatles, Stephen King, Writing, Star Trek, Storm Chasing, The Paranormal (Ghosts and UFO's), Celebrity Grave Hunting, Computers, Romance, Travel, Literature and Photography.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:50 AM

(Sigh)

Back in July of 1993, a friend of mine by the name of Andy, made his way by train down to Austin for a "Beauty And The Beast" Convention (the TV Show).
Knowing that he would arrive at the train depot that evening, I decided to go and meet him.
Not having a car, I walked to the busstop about a half mile away to wait for the bus to take me to the station.
As I approached the corner, I saw a rather large, black bird perched in one of the trees. It was bigger than the grackles that infested the area. After noting its appearence, I crossed the street to the busstop.
To my amazement, it followed me! I saw the bus approaching from the south and when I looked at the bird again, I noticed that it had gotten closer.
Amazement turned to apprehension as I sensed a feeling of menace from it.
Thankfully, my bus arrived and I boarded it. Andy and his lady arrived at the bus station several hours late but none the worse for wear.
I hailed a cab and we were on our way to the Doubletree, where Andy and his lady Linda would stay.
We were able to spend some time together, drink, tell some stories, etc but the time went by too quickly.
Sunday came and it was time to meet Andy at the Train station to bid him safe travels back to New York.
While waiting at the bus stop, I once again encountered the large black bird.
At this point, I feared the creature outright and tried everything I could to frighten it away.
My bus came and I escaped its presence. I saw Andy off at the train station.
As I did, my thoughts returned to that menacing black bird, which I thought of as a Bird of Ill Omen.
It was.
Andy died suddenly in his apartment in Ithaca, NY sometime during the first week of November as a result of a seisure. According to Police reports, he fell and struck his head on the corner of a table and died of a subdural hematoma.
Three weeks later, I got a box of his personal effects sent to my by his mother. They were thing Andy had wanted me to have.
The dam burst and I wept until I was exhausted. I climbed into bed and as I was drifting off to sleep, I heard something outside my window. I searched but could not find the source of the sound, so I lay back down. Then I heard it. It was not the menacing black bird.
It was an Owl, hooting. I sat up and looked out the window and as I did so, a feeling of peace enveloped me.
"Andy?"
The Owl hooted again and then I believe it departed.
I belive that it was Andy telling me that he was okay. I went to sleep happy.

Andrew Frank Rodriguez, III

On March 25, 2004 while on vacation in Orlando, I drove down to Hialeah, Florida to the cemetery where he is buried and on finding his grave, I at last paid my respects and said a proper goodbye.
Peace,Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users